Search the forum,

Discuss Caleffi PRV leaking again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I replaced the Caleffi PRV (6 bar, 95oC max) on my inlet feet to HWT about 3 months ago, it was a constant drip drip coming from it. The feed to the PRV is from mains water through a Caleffi 3bar filter and feeds the tank CW inlet, nothing too complicated.
However just 3 months later and it's again dripping, constant drips about every second from it. Have I got a dodgy one and needs going back to supplier or could there be something else causing this? Incoming water pressure surely isn't exceeding 6bar?

Thanks in advance.

Unvented cylinder then?
Are you qualified to work on it?
The pressure temperature valve is the most vital part on unvented units, but it wouldn't be on a feed pipe??

Thanks for the fast reply!
Yes unvented cylinder, and no not a plumber. New build 3yrs old and no end of heating related problems, Bellway homes, not impressed as ended up repairing most of their botches, had the system serviced afterwards.
The problem, the mains feed on it is from water main via valve, it then hits the 3bar filter and then feeds the tank inlet and the 12l expansion vessel.

Thanks for any pointers!

You can't work on those cylinders yourself.
Even a plumber must be G3 qualified to install or service/repair them. It is the law.
They are supposed to be serviced each year to keep warranty (can be 25yr warranty on most) and more importantly to keep them safe.
Try looking up unvented cylinders Mythbusters to see the video. Dangerous if things done wrong.
You need your unit simply serviced I believe.
The "3bar filter" isn't a filter, although it does also have a filter.

very common but needs a g3 person to have a look and to fix the issue

Thanks Best, oh that's really annoying that they've put that limit on working on them, I've worked on compressors (and had relevant pressure vessel certs) years ago, but thank you for the info. I understand the limitations/regs.
Looks like I'll be having to pay out more on this ruddy system! Will see about a maintenance contract/service then to get this resolved.

Ok chaps, fair enough will get a quotation then :-(

Usually threads like this end up with the person getting nasty when told the regs won't allow them to do unvented work, so big respect to you for not blaming us.
It really shouldn't cost much for a service.
I got the link to the video, so might as well post it here, -

Thanks for understanding.
There are othe things that cause your problem. Without relevant experience, it's hard to diagnose the culprit.
A good G3 installer should sort it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Caleffi PRV leaking again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a PRV located in a heated plant room that is between a pair of stop cocks. It was installed to keep pressure under 3 Bar a couple of years ago but I have noticed an area of verdigris on the piece from the main body to the gauge. I wondered if this might be sign of a leak / trouble or...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted some confirmation regarding a PRV fitted to the mains supply in my building. All 6 flats in the building are now connected to the mains water feed supply and the water tanks in the attic have been disconnected (each flat has a combi gas boiler). I can see there are 2...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip coming from the black nylon plastic drain plug at the back of the boiler which is accessible from the underneath. It does not appear to be from the thread...
Replies
Views
Hello all, So been having somewhat of a time with my Aqualisa Quartz 9.5 electric shower. A few.month ago I put up with a few problems it was having and in the end I replaced everything, new engine and new front cover . This was working great for a month or so, but now noticed an intermittent...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am a homeowner and have a Valliant EcoTech 835 (2017). Serviced every year and worked like a treat until about a few months ago when I notified the pressure reading was too high (> 3 bar). My plumber came and did a regular service and told me the boiler is in tip top condition. The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock