Search the forum,

Discuss Calculating hourly peak and annual gas loads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

After a small bit of advice.

I've been tasked with getting National Grid to relocate a gas supply pipe from one side of a building to the other.

I've filled in all the correct forms, but they are asking me to specify the hourly peak and annual gas loads.

The shop unit has been empty for over two years, and I can't use the last bill to estimate the loads as the shop was previously used as a gas fire showroom to the new unit's usage won't bear any relation to the previous.

The refurbed unit will only have a small combi boiler (30kw?) installed for hot water and heating.

How would I go about calculating the hourly peak and annual gas loads?

I found a formula which went something like this:

Hourly - 30kw/10.76 = 2.78kw (not sure what the 10.76 signifies)

Annual - 2.78 * 8 * 365 * 15% = 1221kw

Where 8 is the number of hours a day the boiler will be on

Am I close, or completely missing the correct figure?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure about your figures but it is only an approximation to know what size supply / meter will be required so stick down 15000kW/h (mine was 15812 last year).

The Max hourly rate is too low I am sure check in the M.I's for gas consumption & stick that down.

Cheers Chris, thanks for your reply

I found a calculator on the British gas website this morning

It took parameters such as property type, number of occupants, boiler age etc and spat out an estimated annual consumption figure of around 12000 kwh for a 2 bed flat, so I ran with that, and as we're fitting a 30kwh combination boiler I just went with that as my peak hourly load.

Can't see why they need all that just for moving the meter but here you go....

Can't see why they need all that just for moving the meter but here you go....

They need to know the load being put onto their network.

Pipework away from the property may need upgrading depending on your peak load.
At the time you contacted them they knew nothing about your load / demand.

Whilst the property has been empty they may have upgraded supplies to other properties and max'd out on the local network.

Same issue applies to Electricity and Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Calculating hourly peak and annual gas loads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock