Search the forum,

Discuss C&G Level 3 System Planning Exam? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arsenalrory

I've a re-sit on this coming up soon, anyone got any tips on it? college classes were minimal and i've already failed it once.
thanks for any help

asked a lecturer friend of mine about this'planning exam' and he said it's an 'assignment' where you should get all the books and standards available to you so make sure you know where to look and must know the list below (i've only pasted it so don't blame me if it's wrong)
unvented hot water systems
Water mains and hot water pipe sizing
heat loss calculations and radiator outputs
Single stack systems and part H standards/recommendations
Part L1 heating/hw systems and controls
Paperwork systems used on building projects
Changing and altering work that is different from plans

I've got mine soon just been in classroom doin the training for it! I think that the pipe sizing is very important within the assignment but my tutor said that every time that you do any working out for your answers you must write them into the test to back up any answer u have got to show u ant been copying of any1

great stuff - thanks a million for this. already did the test a few months back and couldn't believe how difficult it was.
all the best

yeh its difficult, id like many people wishing to undertake plumbing to read this thread, wud make them aware of how hard it is

Just sat second resit for this exam and now waiting for the results not as confident as the first time.

when i did it we were expected to to do heatloss calcs and then specify a suitable boiler from the manufacturers literature provided (all different ideal isars:mad2:. quite a lot of emphasis was placed on this. also we had to specify a flue kit and also route an unvented discharge pipe from a building plan and tell em how much copper and how many elbows were needed.

Hello everybody,
I'm going to be starting C&G 6129 Domestic Plumbing Studies Level 3. I am going to be studying it fulltime 1 year 2.5 days per week. I've had a look at the facilities and it does look really complex (boiler, controls, pcr, board, timers/controls testing boilers components, using digital clamp meter multi meters etc... Seriously will this level 3 course challege me because the level 2 is obviously simple. Also, is the system planning exam/assignment hard - also the gas supply exams hard too part 1 & 2. finally I'm hoping that there will be science involved :) hope this helps

Careful what you wish for mo....pretty sure you Will be challenged. Lots of science and complex calculations and equations :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you know the answers any exam is easy, if not it is hard !! Science is involved in everything we do I the world.
One thing I can tell you is that it's a BIG step up from Level 2, You will be putting the Key Principles knowledge to use.

Best of Luck

Where are you doing this course ??

Hello,

Cheers for both your replay:)s.

I'm going to be going Trafford College mainly because the course is full-time and the facilities are really good. Any chance if any body could send me a powerpoint presentation with combustion calculation or something like that as well as Gas Supply Exam sample paper to my email: [email protected]

Don't understand combustion calculations ?? & for the gas, read your Level 3 JTL book, if you haven't got one get one they should be cheap as they are being replaced for the 6189 Diploma soon. They are very good for the gas.

Hi,
I’m slightly confused; my tutor told me that I’ll receive C&G 6129 Basic Plumbing Studies l2 certificates in August. However, I’ve just received my final gola exam certificate but not all 12 certificates :/ Also on the level 3 course I’ve been told that I will have to gain evidence of gas work/portfolio, and this isn’t an apprenticeship – it’s the technical certificate 6129

cheer every 1

mohammed you won't get 12 certificates only one listing the different modules

mohammed you won't get 12 certificates only one listing the different modules

i got more than you can shake a stick at! all pointless in my opinion as all info is on the main cert...daft!

Sounds like you are doing tech cert.It isnt a recognised qualification you have to work with a qualified plumber to gain that

Hi all
I’vejust enrolled at Trafford College onto the 6189 Diploma in Domestic Plumbingand Heating Level 3. J
I spoketo one of the Gas Foundation course tutors about gas as they had a separate workshopfor it. He told me that I will not go into dept with gas (faultfind repairs electronic boards testing boiler components etc) at level 3 plumbing,just mainly focused on the plumbing side. He also told me that Gas Saferegistered plumbers are not able to go into dept with gas. Honestly I’m really confused because I believe that afterlevel 3 I can do my Acs Gas training obviously when I’ve completed my NVQ’s L2& 3.
So, myquestion is what’s the difference between them two gas safe plumber and gasengineer? Or is that tutor playing me for a game

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Glenno,

Yes I'm doing to Technical Certificate 6129 Level 3, yes I am aware that I'll have to be working with a gas safe registered plumber, to achieve nvq l2 l3 plus acs gas. My question is that will I be fully qualified to work on GAS in depth , just like a gas engineer!!
Cause I want to be able to do everything (Gas Safe Registered Plumber).

get your lvl 3 and once finished do your ACS to get gas safe ticket. then you can do some manufacturer courses and additional training on wiring, electrics etc. and most importantly, if you have friends, do some work with them to gain some experience. you won't learn much just from books

I believe you have to do about 150 hrs with a qualified gas engineer before you can sit the acs gas exam.That may not be so if you do the fast track way,which we all love:angry_smile:

Hi all,

completed my level 2 6129. What would be a better option, either C&G 6189 Diploma in Plumbing & Domestic Heating Level 3 or BPEC Gas Foundation course. By the way I want to be able to do both plumbing and gas in the future

Level 3 6189, if you can (you must be working in the trade as it is an NVQ) because you will cover both plumbing & heating plus so long as you can get the 70+ DAY's min working with a GSR engineer work on gas installs & appliances you will be able to take the gas route in the 2nd year & so long as you pass you be able to apply to become GSR without sitting the ACS.
Are you working in the trade ???

Thank you for the reply Chris W

Cheers, yes I will be doing C&G 6189 Diploma in Plumbing & Domestic Heating Level 3. I am doing this full-time 1 year because I don't have an apprenticeship. I know a self employed Gas Safe registered plumber, however he already has a apprentice and it will be his final year in September. I'm hoping he'll take me on after I have completed my Level 3 to do NVQ's Level 2 & 3 Acs Gas accreditation. Or if it comes to the worse I'll have to go to a training center which provide all this (isn't a fast track)

Thank you for the reply Chris W

Cheers, yes I will be doing C&G 6189 Diploma in Plumbing & Domestic Heating Level 3. I am doing this full-time 1 year because I don't have an apprenticeship. I know a self employed Gas Safe registered plumber, however he already has a apprentice and it will be his final year in September. I'm hoping he'll take me on after I have completed my Level 3 to do NVQ's Level 2 & 3 Acs Gas accreditation. Or if it comes to the worse I'll have to go to a training center which provide all this (isn't a fast track)
Hi
I hope you know what you have enrolled for because as I have tried to explain before the Diploma 6189 is an NVQ qualification, that is you have to be working in the trade to pass the on-site units !!! You CAN NOT do the collage side & the work side separately!! & if you do not have a L2 NVQ 6089 you should not be able to enrol for this L3 6189.
There are NO training centre's fast or otherwise that can provide the ACS without you working !!! If I where you I would do some real investigations (contact C&G) & get some independent advice, otherwise I can see a lot of tears & wasted money in a year or so.
Good luck.

Hello,

Yes, I'll get in touch with City & Guilds. Just to mention that I was going to be doing C&G 6129 Domestic Plumbing Studies Level 3 full-time 1 year and was told that for the Domestic Gas Supply Natural or LPG Part 1 & 2 I will have to produce a small portfolio of evidence on site by working with a Qualified Engineer. However, the old qualification is now going to be scrapped, and the new qualification C&G NVQ 6189 Diploma in Plumbing and Domestic Heating Level 3 full time 1 year at Trafford College. By the Way this isn't the NVQ its just the same as the technical certificate level 3 and yes I will have to gain evidence of gas work to build up that portfolio. The NVQ is this Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installation and Maintaining Domestic Heating System.

:/ hope this helps cheer mate!

Sorry but I teach the 6189 L2 & 3 & it most certainly is not the same as the 6129 (it has on site units that must be completed). As you say it is still a reasonably new qualification so there may be a lack of understanding by some colleges, speak to C&G, if you can !!
Good luck for the future.
Chris

Hi Chris W

OK, what happends if I manage you find a Gas Safe registered plumber to work with to be able to complete the on site units - will I be awarded the Diploma/certificate 6129/6189. And also what about your students, have u provided them with and engineer so that they can completed those units cheer

How old are you Mohammed if I may ask? You should try find an apprenticeship if you aren't older than 24, this should give you experience you need or somebody who would take you on. There is lot of engineers out there with many years of experience with no job so I think you should get NVQ at least to have full qualification and then you would probably have more chances to find some job.

To your last question, I'm afraid you will have to find a gas safe engineer to yourself. I haven't heard any college has managed to help students in this. That's probably hardest part of all, to find somebody who will help you to do your portfolio.

Good luck to you.

[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hi Galaxy_Plumbing

[/FONT]I was probability the best student in the class. I was really close to finding an apprenticeship. This is the plan for me. To successfully complete the C&G 6189 Diploma in Plumbing & Domestic Heating L3 and then for next September I should have an apprenticeship, the reason I say this is because there is engineer who my parents spoke to and he said I’ve got an apprentice and it is going to be his final year in September – so then I’ll have my C&G 6189 in my hand by then, which means for me If he hopefully takes me on – I can then work towards my NVQ level 2 first and NVQ 3 then plus Acs gas water regulation etc...

My question is this: On the C&G 6189 Diploma L3 what type of work will i be doing to achieve the unit - im assuming it is the gas modual and how many weeks will i be working with an engineer.
[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to C&G Level 3 System Planning Exam? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock