Search the forum,

Discuss C & G 6128 to nvq2 help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thedude110790

Hey, I recently started a course with newcareerskills and was had some confusion and just realised i will need to take another course to be recognised as any sort of decent tradesman. with successful completion of the course i will pass with city and guilds 6128, level 2 heating and ventilation, can someone answer these questions please?

1. can i take a course extending the 6128 to nvq2 or even 3?
2. how much hassle will this cause and how long will it take?
3. with the c & g level 2 will i still be able to get some work even if its low pay?

I've looked for courses to extend it but I've only managed to find 1, which will take 2 years £3000 and attending classes? any improvement on time/price/convenience? also I'm not sure if its actually possible the entry requirements only require 4 GSCE's. Surely 6128 counts as someone maybe starting mid way through the nvq?

thanks, lee

The Dude,

I have researched this in the forum and my understanding is that in order to take the NVQ2 you must be working as a plumber.

The NVQ2 qualification is competancy based, I.E you must be working and an assessor would come out and sign your work off. £3000 is about right from my research.

In order to even get on the NVQ2 you have to have done your 6128 or 6129 it's your theory. (Technical Cert)

If you are new in to the industry the 6128 is the right qualification and you will get a look in with employers for jobs.

I come across lots of plumbers with no qualifications at all working in the industry and they seem to find it very difficult to grasp that they will eventually have to do this them selves also the costs which are involved in doing so.

By the sounds of it you have paid out enough and it's time to get some work experience under your belt. Don't believe everything you read in forums as their is a lot of scaremongering.....

Good luck with the course and hope this helps.

thanks helped alot :)

Hi I did the C&G 6129 and did a lot of research about all the courses etc, before I opted for the course I did.I don't think the 6128 is recognised by PMES as the 6129 is.6128 is only a small part of the 6129 so I was informed.

you're quite right helpsy 6128 does not cover as much as the 6129

you're quite right helpsy 6128 does not cover as much as the 6129

like sheet lead weathering and drain clearing you mean?

6128 is heating and ventilation ind, comm or domestic.
6129 is general plumber.

choose your career path to what sector you want to work in.

My understanding is the 6129 has quite a lot of irrelevant syllabus, takes longer and has more coursework to complete as redsaw pointed out.

Either one the 6128 or 6129 will give you your technical cert and at the end of the day they are both their just to give you the theory and entry level qualification before you go out in to the plumbing world getting your hands dirty.

I would be incredibly surprised if the PMES didn’t recognise this – to be honest I would go as far as saying I feel that information is incorrect but I’m happy to be proved wrong.

The guidelines of what people need these days is quite tough to get your head around given what everybody says in the forums so don't take everything as Gospel and I know for a fact that even most employers don’t know what they are themselves half the time – unless the owner if fairly switched on.

The plumbing industry is being given a real shake up and not everyone is onboard yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've done 6129, choose it over 6128 cos it covers so much more, it maybe i don't use some ofthis in the future but if i use a couple of bits of knowlegde in the future and they get me out of a problem then i'm happy to take a little while longer doing it.

also you have to do all the 6129 topics to do the nvq2, and you gotta do that to do nvq3 and do your acs gas thingy.

i've actually enjoyed my 8 days doinglead work and have mae some money making lead slates for builder mate already.

heating and vent is a better qual in this day and age - like you said you done it for a roofer - most roofers can do lead themselves.

believe me you pick up all the drainage etc etc in the heat and vent too. ive finished the nvq level 2 6088, currently doing level 3 and this covers a lot more heating faults fault finding. the book we work from is the plumbing nvq level 2 and 3 from heiminans, the only section you dont cover is the lead work.

One way or another, you need the 6129 course (or recognised equivalent if one exists) for the NVQ level 2. The 6129 is the theory and the general background. The NVQ2 is on the job assessments based on this theory and background.

heating and vent is a better qual in this day and age - like you said you done it for a roofer - most roofers can do lead themselves.

believe me you pick up all the drainage etc etc in the heat and vent too. ive finished the nvq level 2 6088, currently doing level 3 and this covers a lot more heating faults fault finding. the book we work from is the plumbing nvq level 2 and 3 from heiminans, the only section you dont cover is the lead work.

you all completely mixed up over this. Plumbing is one trade and H&V is another. its not a case of which is best they are different trades, do you want to work as a plumber if so do the 6129, if you want to work as a pipe fitter do the H&V.
why are you even considering which is the easiest? if its easy you want do P&D thats a good qual, plenty of work and easier to pass

you all completely mixed up over this. Plumbing is one trade and H&V is another. its not a case of which is best they are different trades, do you want to work as a plumber if so do the 6129, if you want to work as a pipe fitter do the H&V.
why are you even considering which is the easiest? if its easy you want do P&D thats a good qual, plenty of work and easier to pass

no mate youve got it all wrong - on the 6128 or the nvq level 3 6088 heat and vent, you become qualified as a heating engineer, pipe fitter ? thats nothing to do with it matey. with summit skills you have a choice of domestic or commercial. im currently employed as a plumber doing the 6088, level 3 - this covers, gas fires, boiler instals, outside drainage, sanitary wear, does not cover lead.

What experiences have you got with the 6128 or the 6088, please do not say ive got it all wrong and that im going to end up a pipe fitter lol, when im not too sure you know what the course/apprenticeship entails.

no mate youve got it all wrong - on the 6128 or the nvq level 3 6088 heat and vent, you become qualified as a heating engineer, pipe fitter ? thats nothing to do with it matey. with summit skills you have a choice of domestic or commercial. im currently employed as a plumber doing the 6088, level 3 - this covers, gas fires, boiler instals, outside drainage, sanitary wear, does not cover lead.

What experiences have you got with the 6128 or the 6088, please do not say ive got it all wrong and that im going to end up a pipe fitter lol, when im not too sure you know what the course/apprenticeship entails.

Oh sorry, iv got mixed up with the commercial plumb course and the H&V course. the commercial plumbing shoud look at the same underpinning knowledge but differ in size of pipe and build in more complex heating systems i presume

Oh sorry, iv got mixed up with the commercial plumb course and the H&V course. the commercial plumbing shoud look at the same underpinning knowledge but differ in size of pipe and build in more complex heating systems i presume

it all depends mate what you do in your job, we look at domestic mianly in our course as theres only 2 who do commercial, fault finding on boilers, central heating design and installs, sanitary etc etc. to me its the best course for a modern plumber to go on, with every tom dick and harry doing bathrooms at least you get to specialize in the heatinjg sector while still learning teh bathroom stuff.

it all depends mate what you do in your job, we look at domestic mianly in our course as theres only 2 who do commercial, fault finding on boilers, central heating design and installs, sanitary etc etc. to me its the best course for a modern plumber to go on, with every tom dick and harry doing bathrooms at least you get to specialize in the heatinjg sector while still learning teh bathroom stuff.

there will be a heating installers qual next year when hte new quals come out.
it will just exclude sanitation, lead and i think one other

on jib pmes website to gain a heating fitter card, you must have qualified on the 6088 qual matey.

iv just looked at this and i think i was right in the first place. the 6128 is the H&V course. This is used prodominantly by pipe fitters. I originally started as a pipe fitter. I did the old C&G H&V level 2 and the C&G H&V pipe welding at L3. As I worked as a plumber and had my gas quals from the old acops I also added plumbing quals several years ago.

there are basically 3 routes

1- plumbing
2 - H&V
3 commercial plumbing

The first two are 6129 and 6128 respectively. the 3rd is a little known course and i know its available but dont know anyone whos done it. with the new courses it should be easier to gain. So, the 6128 is NOT plumbing, it is known as a related trade

and where have you heard this fuzzy??

I read it or heard it mate, cannot remember now but a quick google may find it.

the QCF recognises each unit by its nature, to be a heating installer you dont need sanitation, the easiest way is to produce a qual or cert for someone who has done everything apart from the sanitation and lead or whatever units relate to plumbing specific.

yes sorry understand you now, its been a long day, what with taking the child to the so called play area 'pub':D

yes sorry understand you now, its been a long day, what with taking the child to the so called play area 'pub':D

im not sure it will take off.
the main purpose of my post was to point out that the 6128 is a H&V course. It isnt a plumbing course although they are classes as related trades. When I trained as an H&V fitter companies took me on as a plumber no problem, in fact i can only ever recall one employer asking to see my certs anyway! it used to come down to can u do it quals or not. Its changed alot now i think with competence cards, gas etc etc.

People should know thast 6128 is NOT a plumbing course

wich is toatally right fuzzy, its the colleges and training providers wich should be be making this infomation available/aware to students before they embark on a course.

wich is toatally right fuzzy, its the colleges and training providers wich should be be making this infomation available/aware to students before they embark on a course.

i havnt witnessed it but it does seem from some comments that newbies are being misled

yes i toattly agree, but as ive been told at college'dont know how true it is', the tutors havent got a clue either, its all up to them muppets'light language' at no 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to C & G 6128 to nvq2 help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock