Search the forum,

Discuss burst lead supply pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil T

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
i've got a leak on the lead supply pipe as it comes into the house and was wondering where the cheapest place to buy some 28mm MDPE pipe would be from to replace it (if thats the best thing for the job)
I'm in Manchester area

leak is on pipe itself, just a little 2-3mm hole. (dont have pic sorry) i've got a leadloc and some other compression fittings, was just wondering about the pipe to replace it with. which would be best?

i've turned water off to the house til the morning. just need to make sure i get right pipe in and at a decent price :)

its a dodgy old house, the lead pipe comes in at front of house and lies on concrete and rubble until it gets to stop tap (length of house). Apart from suggesting replacing the whole lot, i was just going to cut out where leak is and replace with plastic pipe ... cheap and cheerful :)

lead pipe is around 25mm .. if thats possible? there is a length of plastic closer to where stop tap is where there must of been a leak before and its 28mm. not sure what pipe it is though (blue plastic) how much would that be per metre and what would it be?

couldnt reach it properly to get exact measurement so could be 25mm.

Need pictures or a diagram! MDPE is cheap -I'd be tempted to replace as long a length as I could. You can then sell the lead -which will probably cover the cost!!

Have you got MDPE going into stop tap? You can get leadlock to 25mm MDPE. Make certain you get correct size of leadlock - not all lead pipes are equal!

Last edited:
sounds like a plan :) ... dont have pic sorry. That would be ok running from where it enters house upto stop tap at 25mm? And are screwfix cheapest about or could i get it cheaper elsewhere? I notice they do 50m for £25 at min

No its about a 1m length where someones fixed a burst before. The lead seems to be around 25mm and have a couple of different size leadlocs just in case

MDPE Blue Pipe 25mm x 50m | NoLinkingToThis

is that the right pipe?

Thanks for the the help lads. Managed to get some mdpe from a builders yard as merchants didn't have any. Got job done in hour and half which included wrestling with the anaconda mdpe under the floor for half an hour :)

Thanks. Will check in next couple of days as house is other side of manchester and can't get over that way till then. They just need nipping up if they're weeping?

Went back to the house and the joints were weeping slightly but nipped them up a little and hope that's good enough :)

i got £80 for the job, is that a fair price? i replaced lead pipe from entry to house to stopcock with mdpe, took me 2hrs (including wrestling with mdpe underfloor), initial call to turn water off and a call back to check joints. job was for my cuz so gave him discount, fair?

MDPE Blue Pipe 25mm x 50m | NoLinkingToThis

is that the right pipe?

In these situations any pipe is the right pipe. As long as you know what it is and buy the appropriate connectors and stoptap.

When you used the lead lock you did clean the lead with a shave hook? Likely to keep weeping otherwise....

Dont own a shave hook but used what I had at hand, edge of flat head driver and my trusty stanley blade. Tbh didn't actually know about using one as never worked with lead pipe (hence this thread) but thought I'd clean it as copper and chrome needs to be cleaned to join :) thanks for info though

Well a shave hook is preferable. A cheap one from toolstation will suffice.
It smooth out the surface of the pipe whereas with a Stanley its much more difficult.
A smooth pipe is easier to seal without overtightening the lead lock. The rubber o ring seal is better against a smooth pipe :)

£80 seems a bit cheap to me, but if you are happy with it then that is all that matters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to burst lead supply pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock