Search the forum,

Discuss Building Regulations - Can I have two stop cocks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mains water pipe comes in under the floor in the centre of my house. ( where the old kitchen used to be). I have built a new kitchen 5m to the left of this and a new utility room 5m to the right of this point. My problem is this..... If I can only have one stopcock this means I will have to run pipe from the existing mains pipe to the new kitchen where the stopcock will be located ,then run another pipe from this and run it all the way back to the utility room. It will be easier to T off under the floor and run one pipe to the kitchen and have a stopcock located under the sink, and run the other from the T to the utility room and have another stopcock. Is this doable under Building Regs or does there have to be one stopcock in the property?

It's the same as having other stop taps & valves.

You're keeping the original & adding another one?

On the cold feed from the main there might be several ISO valves, gate valves etc.

The more the merrier I say. Put valves & stop taps all over to isolate each utility for future service & repair. Life will be easy.

It's the same as having other stop taps & valves.

You're keeping the original & adding another one?

On the cold feed from the main there might be several ISO valves, gate valves etc.

The more the merrier I say. Put valves & stop taps all over to isolate each utility for future service & repair. Life will be easy.

Hi,

I wont be keeping the original as this will be in the middle of a living room now as we have relocated the kitchen. I will be removing the original stopcock and cutting down the pipe so that it is under the floor. I will then be either creating a T junction and running one pipe to the kitchen and one pipe to the utility ( If I can have two stopcocks). Or creating a elbow at the point of entry and running one pipe to the kitchen, adding a stopcock there, then running the following pipe to the utility room. The reason I asked if I can have two is that there will not be one point of stopping the mains water but two.

Ok.

Are you doing this yourself or have you a builder?

Not being rude but you have no clue whatsoever where a simple google search would allow you to be more knowledgeable.

If you've got a builder then does he not know?

Don't believe it's against regs but could cause issue to people that don't know there's two stopcocks. Better to have one communal one then isolation for each appliance

Ok.

Are you doing this yourself or have you a builder?

Not being rude but you have no clue whatsoever where a simple google search would allow you to be more knowledgeable.

If you've got a builder then does he not know?

An 'I don't know' would suffice. Thanks anyway.

Builder said I could have two but wasn't 100%.

I'll phone and ask Building control.

An 'I don't know' would suffice. Thanks anyway.

Builder said I could have two but wasn't 100%.

I'll phone and ask Building control.

I do know the answer but your builder hasn't a clue & you've been given your answer.

Better to get a plumber to do the plumbing & a builder to do the building, an electrician to do the wires.

You get my drift?

Then it's all done properly (hopefully) by people who know what they're doing this saving you having to hunt for answers about things your builder should know if he's carrying out the work.

As Riley said you're better off with a single main isolation point where the pipework enters the building then as many stop taps as you like.

Employ a plumber to do the work. Not a builder.

This is why he doesn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Building Regulations - Can I have two stop cocks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs above but there is no sign of leakage on the ceiling. The main drain run from the manhole at the back runs under the kitchen, which has a solid floor...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector here and even he went away flummoxed. OK ....we have a stopcock under the sink that is stuck open - no amount of force will turn it. We need to turn...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock