Search the forum,

Discuss BTSC Chessington in receivership - again. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rodolphe

Hi chaps,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been rather busy with different things.

Here's some news though.

This morning, the Landlord to BTSC (Aviva Investors) turned up early and prevented access to everyone. Here is the letter they were handing out:

"If you are a BTSC customer, please note the following:

Unfortunately due to financial difficulties, Building Trade Skills Centres UK Limited put itself into liquidation in April 2012. Operating under the BTSC brand, it had leases for units 5 to 7 at the Barwell Business Park, which is owned by Aviva Investors. As a result of the liquidation we have taken the difficult decision to terminate these leases with immediate effect, therefore neither BTSC nor any BTSC customer will be entitled to gain entry to the premises at Barwell Business Park.

We understand that a re-structuring of the business is proposed; however, this follows the previous re-structuring during the course of an insolvency in 2010. A considerable amount of rent is overdue under the leases at Barwell Business Park, which has been building up for many months.

Having accepted the previous insolvent re-structuring of BTSC along with the substantial arrears of rent we have taken the difficult decision to terminate the leases. However, we have duties to protect our client's investments and have concludedt hat these can only be served by immediately terminating the BTSC relationship."

The guys for the landlord were telling the students that there was NO WAY they would ever deal with the BTSC management ever again. So unless some brand new faces buy the brand in the coming days - unlikely - I think this is the last of BTSC for a good while, until they find new premises elsewhere and possibly a gullible landlord.

Personally I don't come out too badly out of this, having completed my level 2 just 3 weeks ago (I was going there this morning as part of my frst week of level 3). Also I have not paid them in full yet - unlike some other unfortunates.

I know what some of you think of those fast-track places and I'm sure few will mourn BTSC's passing, if this turns out to be what it is. I understand your point of views. But I feel I was really learning a lot there (not all I need to be a full-fledged plumber, granted, but at the very least some solid basics) and in all honesty the training staff there doesn't deserve this. The ones I worked with were, without exceptions, clearly good plumbers with quite a lot of experience under their belts, as well as nice people. I don't care for BTSC as a company, but I do feel for most of the individuals working there who now find themselves in limbo and really don't deserve it.

I got some thinking to do now as to my way forward. Still, thought you guys might like to have some news from the field, as it were.

Thanks for letting us know, I am looking to start a plumbing course so I can cross BTSC off the list! I am sorry for all the people who may lose their jobs and for those that are currently on a course there...

Shame for the instructors and students,I studied there a few years ago and have never looked back after my training. They have good people, woody, johnny youngs, Steve potter etc who lose their jobs I should expect. Theres always even a bit of them and us with management and trainers/students. In a way it's a good thing that the gaffer has blown it all. He doesn't deserve to own a business in which the students came last!

It may be that they can pay off their rent and they will open again next week and the disruption can be left to a minimum, lets keep our fingers crossed for everyone's sake! If anyone has further information it would be great if they could share it here such as what BTSC is communicating to their students and staff?

Hi plumb_new.

I have setup a 'group help' page so we can centralize and share information about this. You will find it on my site at the following address: o0o

If you hear of anything or have ideas going forward, or if you can share the word with other people who might be interested in teaming up to organise a response, get in touch through the links on the site please.

They've got my NVQ3 file and i've just paid to do my acs with them next week! Lets see what happens on monday morning!

If they've been chucked out of the building for rent arrears I can't imagine anyone will get their money back.
Funny how nobody knew what was going on even though they went into liquidation in April 2012 (and they were still taking people's money).

Yes well, many people didn't know they went into liquidation in April 2012. Furthermore I haven't yet found confirmation anywhere that they actually did. If you know where to find that I'd be most grateful if you could share it.

And yes, getting the money back is a long shot. However there's a chance they are bad payers rather than broke, so arrears doesn't yet mean bankrupcy.

just been down there. there is security guards employed by the landlord handing out portfolios. Also if you phone the landlord they give you a telephone number of someone at the college. She told me they are in negotiations with the landlord and we will know more by the end of the week. Looks like they want to continue trading.

If you paid by credit card you can claim back all losses. If you didn't then the receivers who are dealing with the business/assets etc. will need to be contacted and all losers (i.e people who are owed money) will need to register their interests with the receivers).

Obviously, it's a long shot that the assets will cover all debts but if you are owed then it'll be silly not to make you self known.

Good luck to all. I hope you get the training or your money back.

Further, forgot to mention, I haven't looked into the BTSC company but I imagine that it's a limited company and so there will be no chance to take the owner/s to civil court if he/she has assets (houses/cars, cash etc.)

I am sure they wouldn't be that stupid not to have limited liability so all they'll lose is what they put in, which if purchased on tick is little!

They were advertising discounted courses recently obviously getting as much money in as they can before they close, If you've paid for a course you've no chance of getting your money back!

If you are affected by the situation at BTSC there is now a support site up at http://btsc.frenchandsonsplumbing.co.uk

The more people participate to it and pool their information/resources, the better chances we have to get through this. Spread the word!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Boxingplumber. Yes, I've been informed today that all portfolios have been removed by BTSC. No idea where they are stocking them now.

I went there today to get my level 3 portfolio and was told by the security that the folders were in there but we are not allowed entry.

I phoned the mobile number and got a torrent to be quite honest...

How are you finding out the info?

Crowdsourcing. The site is just some sort of meeting point for people to share their tidbits of information. Some proves right, some is wrong and gets corrected eventually...

I just got off a... strange phone all from Richard Hunt, their chairman. BTSC should start communicating a bit more very soon I think (I take no credit here).

The site above is the only place. I'm not commenting on every phone call I get the past few days... I do need to get some work now and then :)

But in a nutshell, BTSC has asked to have access to the site, which I was more than happy about. So I just hope they use the opportunity and start talking to us.

i called up city and guilds and they told me that they are aware of the situation and that there not going into liquidation and that they are just relocating. i hope its true but highly doubt it because i heard theat manchester has closed down too

i spoke to city and guilds and they told me that they are aware of the situation and that they are not going into liquidation and that they are just relocating. hope thats right. i asked them whether i will get my level 2 in plumbing as i have completed it and they said that i should just sit tight and wait for them and if they dont then city and guilds would help me finish it

Hi Guy, This has affected my son, and my pocket. I just wondered do any of you know who dealing with the liquidation side of this. Im getting no where with trading standards and i need the info for my bank.

Help would be much apprieciated as i feel like im banging my head against a brick wall for some simple info

Thanks

I went there today to get my level 3 portfolio and was told by the security that the folders were in there but we are not allowed entry.

I phoned the mobile number and got a torrent to be quite honest...

How are you finding out the info?

let us know how you get on mate

Hi all just saw this after also being screwed over by R Hunt and BTSC, If you look at your contracts with BTSC it was likely they are from Building Trade Skills Centres Ltd(Co number 7126665) very clever, in liquidation(Or Voluntary Arrangement same thing, just means they can trade a bit longer and screw over more people) 2 April 2012.

But cleverly they took card and credit card payments from the same Mr Hunt via Plant & Wast Recycling Show Ltd(Yes check your card receipts, Co. number 06620543) in liquidation 17 March 2012.

Then they also have BTSC Training Ltd(Co number 07694213) and BTSC Training Services Ltd(Co number 07854594), so that the greedy *******s can truthfully claim that BTSC is still a going concern, even though they ripped off, I assume 100's of candidates for £10,000's of pounds for over priced courses.(I digress, very good courses, thanks Andy etc, but stupidly priced and not honest when booking. You dont need C&G level 2&3 to get on a Gas Safe course you could do a 1-3 week basic plumbing and gas course followed by ACS for about £2k, wish I figured that out before wasting £10k on these greedy *******s, no wonder the sales guys could drive brand new £50k Audi's and Merc's)

It is impossible for a company charging in effect £1000 a week for modules that take 12 odd people not to make a profit unless the director/s are bleeding it dry, enjoy your boat and fancy car's while all the little guys suffer after spending their life savings. How many companies is this now that have folded, and I bet the directors pockets are fuller than ever.

Sorry for the rant, now onto a solution, I SUGGEST EVERYONE NEVER EVER DO BUSINESS OR PAY FOR A COURSE WITH ANY COMPANY ASSOCIATED WITH BTSC OR THEIR DIRECTORS, NOW AND FOREVER. And if they threaten me with libel, I am talking about the BTSC that is a limited company that is no longer a legal entity as it is in liquidation, it's not so nice when the law works the other way around is it?

BTSC who signed your contract and Plant & Waste which took your money are in liquidation so the fact that they are in Breach of Contract is meaningless, the directors are free to go and start again and 'steal' a load more money from other unsuspecting people trying to make a new living.

But according to The Consumer Credit Act 75, if you paid by credit card the card provider is jointly and severely liable for the Breach of Contract and you should be able to get your money back from them. When you call them they will tell you there policy is only to deal with disputes for up to 120 days, it makes no difference what their policy is as your statutory rights take precendence. They will give you their Retail Disputes office to write to, and if that fails to work involve the Financial Ombudsman, but they will very likely settle your dispute prior to any legal action as legal action will run into £1000's of pounds more cost for them.

Finally the little guy has some good news.

And if any BTSC people read this people would be more understanding if you actually told the truth and communicated, really I must pay you another £15 to get you to post me my portfolios, when you have already screwed me over for £10,000?????? And yes it is the 3rd August I am still waiting for the email to be able to collect them by the 2nd August, man I will need to get a time machine now, IDIOTS!

Lastly the two new BTSC companies actually have no right or reason to have taken our portfolios, our contracts are with another company that no longer exist's, I believe that is theft, maybe that is my next line of action if these idiot's dont get our portfolios back to us?

Sorry mod's if I am being to GRRRRRR, if you want me to tone it down I will but I think the content has some useful info for others that have the same problems.

I know the guys there and I believe it was the landlord that closed the doors on the back of unreasonable demands. I understand they are fitting out a new place at the moment. Some great people there so lts hope it works out for everyone!!!

I know the guys there and I believe it was the landlord that closed the doors on the back of unreasonable demands. I understand they are fitting out a new place at the moment. Some great people there so lts hope it works out for everyone!!!

isnt that what happened last time?

.(I digress, very good courses, thanks Andy etc, but stupidly priced and not honest when booking. You dont need C&G level 2&3 to get on a Gas Safe course you could do a 1-3 week basic plumbing and gas course followed by ACS for about £2k, wish I figured that out before wasting £10k on these greedy *******s, no wonder the sales guys could drive brand new £50k Audi's and Merc's)

just to point out, you dont need any qualifications to do an ACS course

Hi everbody. we are in New Zealand and have just heard about the possible demise of the BTSC. This is most upsetting because we paid the full price in advance for our son to train on the Electrician's course He is still in London living wth family and has not been able to get any response form his normal contacts at the BTSC. Any information about the stautus of the company or the name of the administators would be most greatfully received

Hi everbody. we are in New Zealand and have just heard about the possible demise of the BTSC. This is most upsetting because we paid the full price in advance for our son to train on the Electrician's course He is still in London living wth family and has not been able to get any response form his normal contacts at the BTSC. Any information about the stautus of the company or the name of the administators would be most greatfully received

Hi Albert - did you get an update? Could anyone updates us on the BTSC situation please? It has been so long it doesnt look like they are coming back???? Would really appreciate an update.. thank you in advance

I have been maintaining a website where many current trainees are exchanging whatever information they can gather, but since BTSC has been giving me grief about it I have had to make it registration-only.

The news as of last Friday is as follows:
- BTSC had announced a week prior that they would be very shortly able to book training sessions again, at an undisclosed location 25 mins away from their last one
- We independently discovered that they were talking about The Plumbing Academy in Edenbridge. BTSC hasn't confirmed that, but the son of the current BTSC chairman has just been appointed a Director at The Plumbing Academy and the staff confirmed talks were happening (way above their heads, they don't have many details). Furthermore, the geography works: TPA is about 25 mins away from Chessington
- Since then we've had one more email from BTSC. They missed their own deadline and are not able to book new sessions yet, and said that negotiations were not advancing as well as they thought they were going to (so perhaps they won't go there after all).
- furthermore, City and Guild have revoqued their certification of BTSC and basically told a number of trainees that they wouldn't, ever, consider working with them again. BTSC is apparently trying to talk to them about that.

You can try and see hopeful developments in the above, but personally I don't: apart from their own declarations, there's nothing pointing towards BTSC resuming their training activities any time soon.

Hope this helps.

the same happend to me m8, but it was btsc manchester, i'd paid nearly £8000 , got to my 11th mod level 3 , took and passed my unvented, suppose i was 1 of the lucky ones aswell because they were taking £9000 off lads up until the day before they shut the doors !! but iv been working for a reputable firm ever since under the supervisiom of a good heating engineer and now about to take my acs and ccn1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BTSC Chessington in receivership - again. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock