Search the forum,

Discuss british gas work good or bad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi doodlebug the job number is 43918010 work done on the 12,10 and 13,10,2012,thks for your help ,pete

Thanks mate, I will look into this and get back to you, from looking at the pictures, I have to agree, it's not acceptable and I wouldn't be happy either. I've got a mate who works in Nottingham, I will get the managers name and number from him.

Thank you Doodles. You're in a small minority as far as BG bashing is concerned but I admire that you stick to your guns and are prepared to go do a bit to try and turn a negative into a positive.

A bad report is around the world before a good report has its boots on!

hi doodlebug the job number is 43918010 work done on the 12,10 and 13,10,2012,thks for your help ,pete
I've just drawn up a nice email with photos attached, which I will be sending to Chris Jansen if I get no joy with this complaint. I will be happy to send you a copy of the email, just inbox me your email address.

Thank you Doodles. You're in a small minority as far as BG bashing is concerned but I admire that you stick to your guns and are prepared to go do a bit to try and turn a negative into a positive.

A bad report is around the world before a good report has its boots on!

Unfortunately, many of Doodle's colleagues fail to show the diligence and concern for customers as he does.

BG have been fined many millions of pounds for failing to deal with customer's complaints properly (and that is a fact anyone can check out via goggle).

Any properly run company will seek to put right their mistakes as soon as possible, but the first step is to admit that a mistake has been made, and for many years BG have just deflected criticism and failed to recognise the validity of customer's complaints.

Having put things right, the next step is to do everything possible to ensure that similar mistakes are not repeated.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, and the bigger the company, the more mistakes can be made, but the obvious thing to do is to reduce the potential for error as far as possible. The first rung on that ladder is to make sure staff are properly trained and competent, and have the necessary knowledge and skills to do the job.

Having the required knowledge and skills is essential for competent work, BUT, people also need to have the right attitude, i.e. to have some pride in the work they do. Which in my area is a real problem for BG, i.e. some of their blokes just couldn't care less: they make the visit, tick the boxes on the sheet, and they're off to the next job.

BG still has some of the old institutional ways, i.e. staff get everything supplied, and the impression I get is that managers are quite supportive and that there exists a strong sense of esprit de corps between the staff that is shared and supported by management. Which essentially is a good thing imo.

However, to maintain standards and an organisation's reputation, there needs to be some discipline amongst staff that comes to bear when individuals repeatedly show little interest in the job, and regularly produce shoddy work.

It's not unusual these days for managers to say: "oh it's a training issue!"

If someone doesn't have the prerequisite knowledge or skills, then fair enough, provide further training and support - I'm totally in favour of that.

But when come-backs reach a certain point, and when the blokes involved know very well what they should be doing, saying it's: "a training issue" can be just a way of avoiding taking the appropriate action, i.e. it's about management ducking responsibility for maintaining standards.

Which is what I've seen happen with BG in my area.

If the OP puts in a complaint to BG it will be feedback on the local manager's ability to maintain standards, so I hope they take that course of action. In theory, it might save other BG customers from being left with shoddy workmanship.

That photo shows a shocking lack of anything and the installer should be ashamed. After an installation is completed, is it not inspected by a manager or someone relevant who deals with quality control?

At least Doodlebug you are doing the forum justice by going the extra mile to solve someone's problem. For that you are to be commended.

One thing I would say to you is that no matter how many times you praise the company, if there are cut backs resulting in redundancies, you are only one of many and will find yourself on the scrapheap like every one else.

Good on you for helping out though.

A really bad attempt at fitting a strap on boss. A 1st year apprentice would have done better.
The hole has been drilled too big for the strap on boss. It will need a different make to cover it, possibly a polypipe would do. If not the 4" pipe needs cut out and a new piece inserted which will no doubt be beyond the abilities of a bg fitter since there is a glued boss branch above which makes it harder to do.
Lovely position for a digistat too! Get that moved while they are at it. It is useless fitted in there.

A really bad attempt at fitting a strap on boss. A 1st year apprentice would have done better.
The hole has been drilled too big for the strap on boss. It will need a different make to cover it, possibly a polypipe would do. If not the 4" pipe needs cut out and a new piece inserted which will no doubt be beyond the abilities of a bg fitter since there is a glued boss branch above which makes it harder to do.
Lovely position for a digistat too! Get that moved while they are at it. It is useless fitted in there.

I agree mate, there is a lot of thing that need correcting. I've saved the photos and this will be dealt with, trust me.

Hi Pete,
Tried to get some info on your installation today. That work request number doesn't seem to be long enough and all our work request numbers begin with "13".
If you can look through the paperwork and inbox me as much info as possible, ie: have you got any engineer names or pay numbers?
It would be even better if you could inbox me your full postal address as I can get job details through that. Sorry to ask so many questions just I am struggling to help with that number you gave me.

Hi mate, have you had any job with your complaint? I can't find you with that job number, maybe installation side of business use different numbers to service and repair, if you can give me some more info I will get it sorted for you mate.

Give them a notice,they are responsible for it and they should do something about it.

hi ya all thks alot for your help,had bg round for 2days to rip all the new work outand refit the boiler and all pipe work,its now looks good and works ,thks again to you all

hi ya all thks alot for your help,had bg round for 2days to rip all the new work outand refit the boiler and all pipe work,its now looks good and works ,thks again to you all

Good result mate, glad to hear it got sorted.

Good news on getting this fixed and well done to British Gas on sorting you out.

I would fully expect british gas or any other large scale company to repair any mistakes they m,ake free of charge, with the manpower and profits these companies make they have no excuse not to.

I would fully expect british gas or any other large scale company to repair any mistakes they m,ake free of charge, with the manpower and profits these companies make they have no excuse not to.

Totally agree, and without needing to be in the spotlight of a public forum before things get put right.

That's great, thanks for letting us know mate.

and i bet they still made a profit on the job even after doing it twice! :crazy:

and i bet they still made a profit on the job even after doing it twice! :crazy:

Nothing wrong with making money :) atleast they have sorted it now. As I'm sure they always do.
It shouldn't have happened in the first place but its sorted now and everyone's happy.

It's my personal and professional opinion that BG do more bad work than good and charge triple to do it.

The advice I give to the op is to get an independent gas engineer.[/QUOTE

Hey, Avatar. Who would pay for said indi gas engineer? Doodlebug is right, you have to let the original installer make good. If they fail to do so, then you can start getting 3rd parties involved. And I would agree with you that as I generally get the complaints from BG's ex-customers so I get all the bad news. But to be fair, I don't get to see the happy BG customers.

Oh God not this post again!

I thought someone got banned cause this topic got blow WAY out of proportion.

I am afraid I will be sticking to my guns as I have corrected many rediculous problems myself that were caused by BG engineers.

As stated not all their engineers are bad but simply based on what I have seen there is now way on Gods clean earth I would advise anyone to use them.

You would be better off getting a carrot to do the job!

Now can we please put this post to rest - MOD's please, please, please lock this post before it starts again!!!!

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to british gas work good or bad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock