Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas will not be able to obtain parts for this boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have been with British Gas since 2003, with the same boiler.

Last year we had a buyer for this house and were all set to go and cancelled the British Gas service contract.

The house sale fell through recently (last minute) so I contacted British Gas to take on a fresh service contract.
I wasnt there when the engineer came to service the boiler.

He serviced it and then as he was leaving he said to my wife.
"We will not be able to replace some parts on your boiler if it breaks down".
"We would have to replace it".

The boiler is a floor standing Halstead Buckingham III balanced flue BF 80.
Installed 2000. Ithink.

My question is. Are parts still available for this model of boiler?.

Thank you

Frank

Looks like a rebadged glowworm hideaway lots of pets still available, but they will become obsolete at some point

Its because Halsted parts are expensive give them a call and ask about availability of spares. according To BG everything over 10 years you cant get parts for been using this for has long time began to talk people into having new boilers.

Its because Halsted parts are expensive give them a call and ask about availability of spares. according To BG everything over 10 years you cant get parts for been using this for has long time began to talk people into having new boilers.
Thank you jts, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Manufacturers have to keep parts on sale for 10 years, they will stop them when Demand drops and they no longer make them money. Flue system parts normally the first to stop.

It has been said that BG use this 10year date to push boiler changes, best to seek a second opinion if this is said.

AWheating. I'm intrigued. Where does the "Have to keep parts for 10 yrs" come from pls?

Not sure but i was always told that the manufacturer will supply parts for 10 years and then start to make them obsolete unless they are used on other boilers then you get a short parts list. But don't know if that is from date of first manufacture or from last manufacture

It was the 'have to' bit that I picked up. From what I know, there is no obligation whatsoever. Normally, a flakey phrase, that time starts after 'cessation of manufacture' and it would be an advisory time not an obligation. BG engineers are, we all know, notorious for upselling using the FUD sales technique (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt). Especially on older customers...

It was the 'have to' bit that I picked up. From what I know, there is no obligation whatsoever. Normally, a flakey phrase, that time starts after 'cessation of manufacture' and it would be an advisory time not an obligation. BG engineers are, we all know, notorious for upselling using the FUD sales technique (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt). Especially on older customers...
Thank you Dave, and that is exactly what they did. They instilled fear in my wife (we are elderly).

Really sorry to hear that Frank.

You did the right thing asking for independent advice on here. Perhaps you could seek an independent engineer on here to build a relationship with to look after you going forward? The more forward looking guys & gals are doing a mini version of BGs service but with integrity and compassion and charging less.

Take care

Hi All

I have been with British Gas since 2003, with the same boiler.

Last year we had a buyer for this house and were all set to go and cancelled the British Gas service contract.

The house sale fell through recently (last minute) so I contacted British Gas to take on a fresh service contract.
I wasnt there when the engineer came to service the boiler.

He serviced it and then as he was leaving he said to my wife.
"We will not be able to replace some parts on your boiler if it breaks down".
"We would have to replace it".

The boiler is a floor standing Halstead Buckingham III balanced flue BF 80.
Installed 2000. Ithink.

My question is. Are parts still available for this model of boiler?.

Thank you

Frank

Hello Frank.
I did post before but it vanished. From what I can see, you will still get the Gas valve, Spark electrode and thermocouple for it amongst other bits n bobs. It is mainly obsolete but the list of obsolete parts includes every nut bolt and screw.
My advice, keep your money, put it to one side in case it does break down. If it does find a local Heating Engineer with a good reputation and get them to deal with it.

Really sorry to hear that Frank.

You did the right thing asking for independent advice on here. Perhaps you could seek an independent engineer on here to build a relationship with to look after you going forward? The more forward looking guys & gals are doing a mini version of BGs service but with integrity and compassion and charging less.

Take care
Thank you Dave.That is what I intend to you.

Hello Frank.
I did post before but it vanished. From what I can see, you will still get the Gas valve, Spark electrode and thermocouple for it amongst other bits n bobs. It is mainly obsolete but the list of obsolete parts includes every nut bolt and screw.
My advice, keep your money, put it to one side in case it does break down. If it does find a local Heating Engineer with a good reputation and get them to deal with it.
Thank you
Hello Frank.
Thank you for taking the time for looking and replying to my post.That is what I am going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas will not be able to obtain parts for this boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
We have a baxi boiler that's serviced every year It's 6 years old and had a gas valve replaced in 2020. A British gas engineer serviced the boiler last year and left it leaking water inside it was all dripping out of the boiler. Another engineer had to come back and fix it. Before he came back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock