Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas Assessment day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my assessment day for apprentice service and repair technician in Leeds this week. How long does it last? I've just gone to book train tickets and realised I don't know how long I'm going to be there.

I'm looking forward to it but really nervous about the role playing as I hate doing that sort of thing, even though I have 12 years of customer service experience.

Also I'm 32. What are the chances of getting offered an apprentice position at my age?

Good luck with your assessment day! Mines in 2 weeks and im actually bricking it! I think its meant to last about 3 hours. I hate doing role plays and stuff, my mind just goes blank with nerves. Im 25 so im guessing it wont be youngsters. Let me know how you get on : )

Also, what plumbing qualifications do you have if you dont mind me asking? Ive only got my tech cert and thought they wanted an nvq level 2 but apparentally they just want 4 a-c gcses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any plumbing qualifications. I an an NVQ Level 3 but in IT. I'm sure it will be fine but Role playing is just embarrassing.

Hope yours goes well :eek:)

On a side note does anyone know what British Gas are like to work for? I've been reading some horror stories! :/

What kind of money they talking for apprentice? Any experience needed?

Its £5k for year one, £11k for year two and £31k fully qualified although that can take 5 years apparentely. Also if you leave within 5 years after training you have to pay the cost of training back so tied to British Gas for 10 years at least

Need 4 gcse's thats all

i had my assessment today but i think i screwed it :( the interview, observation part, practical went excellent BUT i completely screwed the role play, very disapointed in myself in that part, oh well.

Oh no! What sort of stuff did you have to do. Im sooooo nervous about mine : (

it prob went along the lines of "so you are in a 95 yr olds house and have traced the fault to a faulty fuse, describe in no more than 50 words how much you can get her to sign over to us for a new boiler and power flush"

yeah, i did really bad in the role play, and just had an e-mail saying i didn't get the job. Im trying to be objective and not let it get to me...I want to get into the trade and im trying to stay positive and just treat it as a set back but something i'll spring back from...

it prob went along the lines of "so you are in a 95 yr olds house and have traced the fault to a faulty fuse, describe in no more than 50 words how much you can get her to sign over to us for a new boiler and power flush"

Heh, that made me smile :D

Sorry to hear that, something will come up though evetually! What was the role play like? what sort of stuff did you have to say?

You had to deal with an angry/annoyed customer and convince her that the service contract she was on was worth staying on and good value.

Funny how they make you deal with angry and annoyed customers hey, must be something they get often if they have to train you how to deal with it. Good ol BG :)

yeah, she said you would dealing with angry people A LOT!! maybe, i had a lucky escape because tbh i wouldn't want a job like that. However, my pride's a bit dented from not being offered the role but you live and learn i guess..

copper doctor, do not fear if you cant sell something that should never be sold! its a criminal organisation haha

Get down some plumbers merchants and ask around to see what companies are busy and target them

On the apprenticeship now. interview straight forward- 2min role play(you pretend to be an engineer arriving at customers a little late, you're given a bit of a hard time but as long as you remain polite it's fine) the there is a practical wiring exercise from written instructions, it's simple as long as you follow the sheet. Just be confident, see you in May

just you and assessor and maybe a service manager from the patch you may go to if successful, it's all very relaxed. as for the 16k that's no more but if you decide to leave you have to reimburse training cost which decreases every year you complete in the apprenticeship, which is a fair one they're not gonna train yer then let you go and work for yerself. You also do a

sorry did'nt finish..... do a Duke of Edinburgh scheme whilst on the course

Hi Kerry,
i did my apprentiship through british gas in 2003 i think it was now.
after the initial phone interviews came a series of tests (english, maths, spacial awareness etc) and a final interview after the results were in from the tests. i was new into the industry when i applied for this and wasnt quite sure on the wire colours of a plug, ha. but the fact that they are going to put you through an apprentiship, that doesnt matter too much. They just want to know that you are of a certain level of intelligence/integrity and will see htrough the course and be an asset to the company.
Im from Essex (no jokes please) and had to move to Leeds for a year to study at the Engineering academy there.
I cannot fault the Apprentiship i was put through, best in the industry im told, and they really invest money in you, so want you to suceed!!
Good luck with it all and if you have any questions just ask.

G

thats why their prices are so high, spending money on "roleplaying days"

deary me

Eeek, only 3 more sleeps and then i get to go on mine. Just curious, were yours in hotels or bg centres? Ive got to drive all the way to Thatcham for mine which google says is 2 hours away from me. Im adding an extra hour to that at least!

Hey everyone, been reading through so thought I would join up

I went for my assessment for apprentice service and repair in April in Leeds
I got the job :) I did a lot of preparation though

I start on the 27th of June
Anyone else start then?

Dunn,
Youll have a lot of fun up there. say hello to neil shackleton for me, i believe hes head of the academy now, he was my tutor whilst i was there, top fella!!
Try and stay off the juice though, its very easy to head into leeds for the night, which virtually writes off the next few days at the academy. Every day counts there!!

What do you make of working for BG?
I'm in education now so on the juice every night is not for me lol
Odd occasions yes but now when I've gotta be up in the morning lol

im from cheshire how about you?

what is it your doing??

you had your offer/starter pack through yet

i havent :/ could be a week or 2 for it yet

Hi guys
I also start on the 27th June in Dartford, really looking forward to it!
There's quite a bit to read through in the starter pack but its all pretty straight forward, I had a few questions for BG regarding the contract and stuff and they got back to me within 24 hours, were very helpful and put my mind at ease

Did you find out about any reimbursements or accommodation info? Is that in the starter pack

5k is the only depressing side for 12 months lol

Im from east yorkshire,and il be an apprentice service and repair engineer. Yourselves? Any of you have previous plumbing experience?

I'm from cheshire
Are you going to be staying in leeds?
I'm doing the gas service and repair
I have no experiance but I'm in college now studying mechanics which I finish in june
And I work part time in electronics so that will stand me in good steed

Not sure if I will be staying in leeds, id rather be home every night, thats if i'm within the catchment area for travel.
I'm currently finishing my level 3 in plumbing and gas at hull college. I told british gas about it and they was fine. I cant wait to retrain

Well I'm 2 hours away so hopefully ill get accomodation
It will certainly be good
Just waiting on my starter pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Assessment day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Good afternoon all, Few days ago I woke up and I didn't have warm water nor heating. I did call British Gas straight away and they sent an engineer who came to have a look. The engineer managed to fix the warm water but he said it was not possible to fix the heating since he couldn't control...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock