Search the forum,

Discuss British gas apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michael hollett

ive been offered a job at british gas as a technical apprentice but because i'm 20 and i cant get government funding for the fee's they sed id have to fork out 16 grand for accomodation, courses, travel costs and various other fee's for the british gas academy as part of the apprentice scheme, feels like am hittin a dead end trying to get a plumbing job/ training ive done me city and guilds level 2 and 3 and have had experience but no one will take me on, i no times are hard an how do they expect me to get 16 grand at 20 years of age am not gettin meself in debt. i can do all the plumbing its just the gas i really want to be honest.

Politics, it will cost the government more to pay you to be unemployed, it is sickening, really sorry to hear your predicament Michael, BG attitude does not help
£16,000 is such a small investment, to turn someone into a skilled technician, contributing to the counties future,they spend more putting a few bricks at the end of the road, the Government would rather train an 18 year old to work at McDonalds :(
They say things have a way of working out,I really hope so in your case

imho

i got funding at 28 in my local college neither me or my boss had to pay a thing.

why does this not apply to british gas ?

had to laugh when that offer came to me i had registered for jobs with them and nearly fell off my chair when they wanted near on 16k and pay about 500 a month in wages

You know something seems to have gone drastically wrong with training in our country.

In the old days companies did and paid for the training themselves not agencies and academies.

I suppose the thinking was, if you want work in the industrial area youintend to trade in, you should train your own staff to be able to do it, not make the government or the staff pay.

After all its the companies that will probably make the most money from it. You may pay your staff say £28,000 a year or possibly less, but probably expect to make something like £100,000 - £200,000 a year from them.
Even taking out overheads that still leaves a big lump of cash left over for a healthy profit. In the past you where expected to use some of that to train your people.

That way the industry took on the number of apprentices the industry required and there was work for.

Now days it seems thousands of people are qualified Plumbers but with hardly any experience.

I often wonder though, if they had known what was going to happen and jobs had been avaliable in other industries would they have gone after those skilled jobs in other sectors rather than Plumbing?

It seems to me, we are training people for none existent jobs and charging the trainee's not the trade or the government for the training.

I am all for keeping training open to all, but you have to be realistic about available work. Its unfair to promote trades when work is scarce.

The human side of it though, is understandable. Who would not have a go for a living wage trade if your made redundant or trapped in the minimum wage trap?

The reality it seems is, that many parts of the Plumbing industry can be seasonal and easily affected by changes in the economy. We are after all not only a repair trade but also a construction trade.

You can probably expect to be in and out of work like a yo-yo and the same applies to self employed and work. A smooth trip is not guaranteed and as far as I know never was really.

Is this definately 100% true that BG expect you to pay £16,000 to be trained by them!! I'm only asking as they have offered me a telephone interview regarding an apprentice service and repair engineer. I need to know as i don't want to waste my time if you do have to pay.

Anyone???

students at uni leave with debts , sometimes a lot more than £16,000 , with no guaranteed job at the end of it .

don t agree with them charging to train a future employee though. maybe doing this if they ve had a lot of new engineers leaving as soon as they re qualified .

do you get it back if you stay with them for a year or 2 after qualifying ?

Admittedly students do leave with high debts BUT they only pay it back when they're earning over a certain threshold and then they only small monthly payments are debited each month.

But for a company to want £16,000 upfront before even starting the training is frightening.

And no, you don't get any of it back but you do get a career but even so it's a terrible policy if it still stands.

16k? that would be like robbing the trainee imagine how much they are going to make BG flogging magnacleans and glowsheds BG cant want new employees

may be worth it in the long run mate, how much debt are people who do degrees?

Back in the days when Labour were in power, British Gas offered apprenticeships to people of all ages.
The apprenticeship typically lasted 18 months, which included all training, tools, a van and accommodation if needed. The apprentice was paid £14,609 approximately in the first year.

Soon after the elections the apprenticeship was available as above but only to 16-18 year olds and with a reduced salary of £5456 or something. (Political point? Government cuts?)
Applicants over 19 would have to pay £16,000 up front in advance of starting and would also get the reduced salary in year 1.

I've been told they've now done away with the £16,000 up front payment for over those over 19, so the dude that has a interview you might be okay.

16k is crazy, contact them again stating your situation and you cant afford it.

I have just telephoned BG to see if the policy is still in place and they've now scrapped it apparently. Phew!!!

TBH, i have heard they can be a bit of a nightmare to work for, but if its my only way to get into the industry then i'm gonna have to take it.

I have a telephone interview with Bg for apprentice smart meter installer, does anyone have any advice of what questions etc may come up? Would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Mark

I have a telephone interview with Bg for apprentice smart meter installer, does anyone have any advice of what questions etc may come up? Would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Mark

Installing meters? Probably something like:

BG: HI, Do you have 2 functioning arms and 2 functioning eyes?
You: Yes.
BG: Do you know what a spanner is?
You: Yes.
BG: Congratulations! You have the job!

I remember going through the application form for an apprenticeship took about 3 hours and then the final question was the one about the 16k its a joke!

I didn't think it was possible, but you've just lowered my opinion of BG even further.

They have been making astronomical profits, and yet they don't have the decency to invest in the training of young people!

The sooner all of the utilities are bought back into public ownership, the sooner the massive rip-off of the public by the people running these cash-cows will be ended.

Please write to your MP about this and ask them to put your case to the relevant Secretary of State.

There are websites that have information about bursaries and other forms of charitable support for training fees, have you googled for these?

If you take up this training, how many days of the week do you have to commit to BG? Could you perhaps take a part-time job? Will BG provide any paid work during the training?

I hope you have some luck, and are able to find a pathway to where you eventually want to be.

GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British gas apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock