Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas Apprenticeship Advice Needed Please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys just looking for some advice from anyone who can give it. I have a phone interview on Wednesday for an apprentice gas installation engineer. The email says:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are looking forward to speaking with you at the telephone interview. The interview itself will last about 20-30 minutes.

The telephone interview will be broken down into 3 sections.
o In the first section you will be asked specific questions relating to the job you have applied for. This will ascertain your suitability for the role.
o In the second section you will be asked some behavioural questions. These will require you to give examples of situations in the past when you have demonstrated certain behaviours.
o Finally, you will be given some information on the next steps and any other relevant information.

The purpose of the interview is to make sure you are fully clear on all aspects of the Apprentice Gas Installation Engineer - role and to see how well suited you are to dealing with customers over the telephone. The answers you give to the behavioural questions form an important part of our decision making process and provide a way of assessing your suitability for the job, based on your prior behaviour in similar situations. When thinking of relevant examples try and provide the following information;

The SITUATION you were in.
The TASK you were faced with
The ACTION you took
The RESULT of your action
[/FONT]

Just wondering if anyone has done this already and can give me any tips atall, anything would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

They didn't do this when I joined BG but they won't expect you to have technical knowledge. They are looking for calmness, politeness, no swearing, helpfulness and common sense. Someone that will not cause them complaints. They don't want an idiot that gets a panic on and has to ring someone on every job or is likely to have a punch up with a customer.

Thats to work out if you're a fruitcake or someone they can mould :)

most of us on here are fruitcakes.... Go figure :D

be calm, polite, answer the questions asked and don't worry about it too much

None will be technical at a guess as you're applying for an apprentice role.

also if u tlk lyk dis bruv
you can kick that habit right now before a telephone interview.

i had a call from a lad a few weeks ago about working as an apprentice.

before i could get a word in i had
you get me, init, brah, you know, "da" "lyk" "coz"

about four times each mixed in with other carp

Thanks for the feedback guys, Im excellent with customer service so that shouldn't be a problem, and i speak normal, well like the average person lol. The bit that it says it will ask specific questions about the job role that i have applied for, what sort of questions do you think this might consist of?

Thanks in advance guys i really do appreciate your feedback

Thanks for the feedback guys, Im excellent with customer service so that shouldn't be a problem, and i speak normal, well like the average person lol. The bit that it says it will ask specific questions about the job role that i have applied for, what sort of questions do you think this might consist of?

Thanks in advance guys i really do appreciate your feedback

And don't be over confident can come across as cockyness

Good luck, like stated be calm, any questions take time to think about an answer. Don't blurt out the first thing that's comes into your mouth. Make a point of mentioning thinking of the customer and their property and needs, they love things like that.

Hi guys. Just a little update. The phone interview went well. The person i spoke with said it was a good interview and that if it wasnt then you get told then and there that your application cannot be progressed. He said i need to wait a week or two to hear back from them and find out if ive been invited to an official interview so fingers crossed. Thanks guyss

Well done cobey thanks for the update hope you do as well at the face to face interview.....regards Turnpin:punk:

Hi cobey

i had phone interview the same day as you for gas installation in birmingham
it went very well he also said the interview was good (which kinda gave me confidence)

then he started talking about the role itself and about the training location
and if it's possible for me to be at that location for the first year of training

i think he said Leeds or Leicester

then he said the phone interviews will last 1 - 2 weeks then I will hear back from them

Hi cobey

i had phone interview the same day as you for gas installation in birmingham
it went very well he also said the interview was good (which kinda gave me confidence)

then he started talking about the role itself and about the training location
and if it's possible for me to be at that location for the first year of training

i think he said Leeds or Leicester

then he said the phone interviews will last 1 - 2 weeks then I will hear back from them

Thanks guys :D still waiting to hear back about a face to face interview. Thats great new AJwiggan, they said to me on the phone that it would take around 2 weeks to hear back aswell due to all the phone interviews they were doing. They mentioned to me about an assessment centre thats only about 20 minute drive from my house so its not that bad for me. Fingers crossed we get through to the face to face interview stage :D have you heard anything back yet?

Thanks guys :D Thats great AJWiggan the person i spoke with on the phone was very friendly and afterwards says that it went very well and if it didnt they would have told me over the phone that they couldnt take my application any further, so this gave me confidence aswell :D Fingers crossed we make it to the assessment centre interview :D Are you ok going away for a year to train? I heard they pay all expenses anyways, My training centre is about 20-30 minute drive from my house so im lucky if i get it. I really wish you the best of luck :D Have you heard anything yet?

Sorry for the repeated post i forgot that the mod had to review the posts before it appears lol i thought i didnt submit the first one correctly :p

Last edited:
Hey

I haven't heard back from them yet

I am still waiting

which area did you apply for ?

I would be OK going away for a year it depends where the training centre is because i might be able to drive there and there should be periods where you can go back home.
They do pay for all expenses which is good.

we should hear something by next week

hopefully :)

I would be OK going away for a year it depends where the training centre is because i might be able to drive there and there should be periods where you can go back home.
They do pay for all expenses which is good.

we should hear something by next week

hopefully :)

Yeh you can travel back at the weekends, im sure i read that you usually finish early on a friday which allows you to beat rush hour traffic on the way back home. Cant wait to hear back lol, I hate interviews aswell so il need to sort myself out! I emptied my inbox, your only allowed like 3 messages then the inbox is full lol

Still havent heard anything back, they did say they are going to be really busy finishing these phone interviews when i originally spoke to them, They said they would get back to me within around 2 weeks and its just past that now. Do yous think i should give them a call and see whats happining or just wait until the call me? Thanks guys

No harm in calling them. It was four months from applying to starting when I joined BG 15 years ago. They don't rush.

Thanks for the comment albatross :) I tried calling them a few times there was about a 15 minute wait lol they are really busy. I emailed them so hopfully they get back to me soon. Since you still work for BG is there any inside info you can give that will help me with my interview (If i get one) lol Thanks in advance mate.

Thanks for the comment albatross :) I tried calling them a few times there was about a 15 minute wait lol they are really busy. I emailed them so hopfully they get back to me soon. Since you still work for BG is there any inside info you can give that will help me with my interview (If i get one) lol Thanks in advance mate.

I left 10 years ago.

Got an email today. I dont think its good news. What do you guys think?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am writing to update you on your application for the position of Apprentice Gas Installation Engineer for which you recently completed a successful telephone interview. We have now invited candidates who performed particularly well at telephone interview to assessment for this role. However, at present you are in our talent pool as we would potentially like to bring you forward to an assessment centre in the near future.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We would like to keep your details on file and whilst we are unable to say if we will be bringing you forward to assessment centre at present time, we will be in a position to update you further by the end of May.

[/FONT]

Got an email today. I dont think its good news. What do you guys think?

Chin up mate, I received a similar email but didn't even make it through to a telephone interview.
It's not a solid no you may get a chance in May you just do not know.
I am still on the look out for other apprenticeships if British Gas come through in May then great if they don't we just have to keep trying.

cheers mate, yeh ive applied to a few others aswell thinking of maybe trying to get a start offshore on the riggs

cheers mate, yeh ive applied to a few others aswell thinking of maybe trying to get a start offshore on the riggs

You'll need to be pretty damn hardened for that, the pays high for a reason as a qualified engineers.

sod doing it for an apprenticeship.

Hang in there and offer free trials to local companies

Went to the assessment centre the other day, I think i done Good but now im doubting myself, I hate this wait!

exactly mate, I hate this wait :( The interviewer did seem pretty interested, she asked me additional questions to my answers, Also after everything was finished and i was on my way home i got a phone call, they forgot to do a colour blind test on me so called me to ask me to go back and complete it, Im thinking this is a good sign because if i did do **** they wouldnt have botherd calling back, what do you think lolol?

Possibly. But to avoid disappointment take a rocket man approach. U failed the world hates u and then when u get the offer it's sooooo much better

lol cheers mate, im in work at the moment with my hands free kit in incase my phone goes, I hate this waiting feeling!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Apprenticeship Advice Needed Please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock