Search the forum,

Discuss brass, stainless, or EP/plastic for Well service line fittings in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated "mini house" with an insulated, heat-taped plenum taking the poly from below frost line up into the space between floor joists. But, power outages occur, and despite the insulation this area would likely begin to freeze before anything inside the structure or below ground.

A hard freeze of all the tube would clearly cause a failure, but on the margins my guess is good design & material choice could make the difference between a winter emergency vs not. To that end I've minimized all other fittings, and am using expansion fittings of course, but have a mandatory coupler between the 1" black poly and 1" pex-a (barbed to expansion) in the joists.

I have all three of these options, thank you for your feedback on which one is the most robust against partial-freezing.
  • brass single-piece Ferguson didn't have anything like this, but I found this single-piece barbed --> ProPex
    • No well water report (won't have it until this is installed) - all things equal brass should be the most susceptible to any water quality issues, though.
  • stainless, as barbed --> NPT --> ProPex
    • available in both machined, and swaged. I'd expect the swaged fitting to be work-hardened; stainless is already brittle relative to plastic & brass, so I assume machined is preferred (??)
  • EP/plastic, again as barbed --> NPT --> ProPex
    • Note, this fitting occurs near a 90 and has some accomodation in the insulation, so I don't believe the location has any notable stress that might make me concerned (Freezing aside) about EP
Thank you!

Here's the one-piece brass if you're curious:
lf4591010-3.jpg

Reply to brass, stainless, or EP/plastic for Well service line fittings in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock