Search the forum,

Discuss Bought a new Range Cooker. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, can anyone help.
I've just purchased a new range free standing cooker, I invited a Gas Safe engineer to install it, he says its in breach of regulations, is this correct.
The range is 1100mm, the opening the same, it appears the wall cupboards above are the problem, the distance between them is also 1100mm and directly in a plumb line with the base units. I understand from the instructions supplied the gap above should be at least 1200mm ie, 50mm wider either side.
Can anyone tell me dose this regulation apply to only new kitchen installations or also apply to existing.

Many Thanks in advance, Ian....

If you're having a new appliance installed it needs to be up to date and in line with current regulations and standards

Well it's not existing as it's a new cooker so therefore becomes new

Many thanks Last Plumber, I want it installed in line with the appropriate regulations, and by a qualified tradesman, (Gas Safe) obviously, but I cant believe I have to go to the trouble of sending my range back, buying a narrower one, putting a fillet down either side and replacing my worktops. I think yes this is perhaps a good thing if your fitting a new kitchen and this should apply but surly there is a clause which excludes this when applying to existing installations.

Many Thanks, Ian...

Cant you get different overhanging units (narrower)
To give you the clearance as per the installation instructions.

Or go electric.

I have been to a few where kitchen companies have poorly designed the layouts to lead to this issue. I can imagine sometimes it is customer pressure for cupboard space in smaller ktchens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grrrrr......... So Annoyed.

Thanks for your help Phil, Narrower wall units wont work in this scenario, looks like I'm going to have to get new worktops with a fillet down either side of a 1000mm or a 900mm range.
Thanks for your help..

What model range was it ?

If I tell the truth Phil, it's not me, I'm a self-employed joiner and I changed the worktops for a regular customer as part of an ongoing project, now they've decided to change the cooker and this problem has arisen, they've had nothing but problems and I feel sorry for them so I thought I'd make enquiries on they're behalf.
Would it make a difference what type of cooker it is... ??
Thanks again...!

Was just going to check the clearances. But if as you say its plumb above the lower units its not right.

Was just going to check the clearances. But if as you say its plumb above the lower units its not right.

Yes phill 1100mm top and bottom, I just thought there may have been an exception being it's an existing and not new kitchen... no worries, more work for me I guess, just more expense for them...
Thanks again for your advise
I'm off up the wooden Hill now.... good night....
And thanks again....!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bought a new Range Cooker. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, Big gas noob here. We got a gas cooker installed a few days ago, and the gas cooker is now sitting quite far away from the wall (3cm which sounds like not much but throws the balance off of the kitchen), which means there's a large gap now between the cooker and the wall, but it now...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help with a query. We have recently had a new kitchen installed and are arranging for our freestanding gas cooker to be fitted (Leisure Gourmet Cooker 60cm) I have read that there needs to be a 20mm gap between the sides of the cooker to meet the Gas Safe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm studying plumbing and my work mate sized the opportunity to help him installing a new radiator. I'm looking for general advice which might eliminate mistakes. It'd also help me to build a portfolio before getting a job in trade. The house is old built and the rad goes into the kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi, my gas hob needs replacing but I'm told first the existing cooker hood must be raised as it's 70cm instead of 75cm above gas hob as per new regulations. Is that right?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock