Discuss Bottom Entry Valve for WC - advise needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

basilbrook

Hi all

I'm having a few problems with the above - the old valve was leaking causing it to overflow so I went to buy a new valve to replace it. I've already had to do the downstairs wc last year as all went well.

However, the upstairs one is causing me a few problems.

I initially bought a new valve from homebase but the float side of the part was too big to fit into the cistern due to the syphon unit so I went back and exchanged the valve for a slimmer one. This one fitted inside the cistern ok but the bottom thread was too short to fit securely to the inlet water pipe.

I then bought a new, slimmer syphon unit & inlet valve combined, but could not get the cistern off the wall due to a badly rusted screw so I returned that part.

All other valves I have purchased, 5 in total, have been either too bulky or the bottom thread not long enough.

If I fit the valve without the rubber washer on I can manage to secure the botton of the valve to the inlet water pipe but I haven'y tested its water tightness yet.

So bascially I'm wanting to know if fitting the valve without the runner washer will create a water tight seal or will I need to use some silicone sealant.

Also, do the bottom threads on inlet valves come in varying lengths

Thanks in advance

Many an hour can be wasted trying to find inlet and syphon combinations that fit in your cistern. And if you were to add the complication of finding one with the exact length of protruding thread you're in fior some real fun. Incidentally, a fluidmaster push-button flush valve and fluidmaster inlet valve will fit side by side in the most compact of cisterns.

A plumber would re-pipe the connection if it falls short/long. You might be able to get away with using silicone instead of the sealing inlet washer, never tried it. But if you're DIY savvy enough to take the job on in the first place I'd recommend re-piping the connection. Is there's no play at all in the pipe? If your a washer's width away I'd be tempted to pull on the bugger.

what inlet valves have you bought so far? generally fluidmaster are very good for bottom inlets or failing that just go back to a ballcock in the cistern again ....fitting it without the washer will not make it watertight so that is not recommended and as for the thread on the valve if you want it shorter you could cut of part of the thread as i have done in the past but is not recommended

He wants it longer, not shorter. And I'd put money on it that if you dried the inside of the cistern, siliconed around the where the washer would go, screwed it in and let it set that it would be water-tight. Prob is the silicone itself would take up some room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bottom Entry Valve for WC - advise needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back