Search the forum,

Discuss Bosch Multidrill GBH 4 v Erbauer ERB388SDS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doogal

:santa3: Hi, I am needing to buy a decent heavy duty drill for general use and also doing a bit of core drilling for fitting a a couple of bathrooms, wasstes etc, I am not a full time plumber and a bit confused about what to get, I don't have a huge amount of money to spend either. I visited the local hire shop and they said that for core drilling you need an expensive dedicated core drill - but that isn't any good for general use and hammer purposes. But I looked on youtube and there is a post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Pj9zzPN0s where the guy uses a Bosch multidrill easily for doing a large core drilling. Can anyone advise on whether the Bosch GBH 4 would be good? and if something like the Erbauer ERB388SDS which you can currently buy for about a quarter of the price, much more in my price range, would do the job? or any other suggestions please, I have considered hiring but the price of this quickly mounts up and I want the flexibility of owning something, Cheers

The bosch one will probably last 4 imes longer than the Erbaurer one

For what you describe an SDS drill is probably most suitable. Dont get me wrong, I have a Marcrist core drill and it is fantastic.

With most power tools you get what you pay for and I dont mind my Makita SDS, was about £120

Here: HR2610 | Makita 3 Mode SDS+ Rotary Hammer Drill

Its not used everyday and for big jobs the Marcrist is used

Thanks Tom, thats really useful, so something like the Makita could also be used for core drilling as well, Regards

Erbauer may sound German, but I think all their kit is made in the Far East and branded Erbauer to make everyone think its European made.

You dont say lol :rolleyes:

I buy ardennes patte from ASDA but im under no illusion it probably was made in a stinky factory in bognor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosch GBH 2-28DV 2kg SDS Plus Drill 240V | SDS Plus 3 Function | NoLinkingToThis

I've got one of these and can't fault it.......no sweat with the core drills and excellent for chasing walls and breaking up concrete!!! It also drills holes ;-)
You get what you pay for.......worth every penny!!

any decent sds will do small core holes tbh. if you was going to be doing core holes all the time or larger holes then a proper core drill is the best solution.

the bosch gbh 2-26dre can be had for about £120 and with 3 years warranty is a excellent buy and almost as good as the above 2-28 which replaced it as the top model a few years ago.

ive done a few 5" core holes with mine when ive forgotten to take my core drill with me, not that i would ever recommend it.

Last edited:
Erbauer may sound German, but I think all their kit is made in the Far East and branded Erbauer to make everyone think its European made.

made by positec i think for screwfix. they also make worx and a number of other brands on behalf of diy chains.

I always used to use my cheap bosch sds for cores it was ok and always got there eventually. As I am doing more and more I bought a core drill which is 10 times quicker and doesn't get as hot.

I also bought a cheap big sds Titan to get through granite walls and that copes with core drills with ease for £60 you can't go wrong. Might be a bit excessive for 7mm drill bits though.

got Bosh multidrill, havent found any cons yet. Got myself Milwaukee core drill just for large core drilling. I had 2 titan sds before, both failed so I would rather invest more in good drill then keep spending on cheap ones.

Just to clarify why I don't like my older model GBH 4 (as posted in the youtube vid by the OP not the newer GBH4-32), if you only use the SDS it's absolutely fine, however if you have to quick change the chuck for say drilling metal or using a core then it can get stuck. The mechanism is a little delicate and get gritted easily so you have to be ultra careful you don't contaminate the grease, I've used it for a few large cores and drilling heavy gauge steel and the clutch imo is set to low and it struggled. Could be the operator though..;)

Thanks everyone for your help, think I will be going with a Makita or a Bosch gbh 2-26dre and see how I get on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bosch Multidrill GBH 4 v Erbauer ERB388SDS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock