Search the forum,

Discuss Boilers and non gas safe plumbers... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
Just had a call back to a job I did today, I put some TRVs on the radiators in a house.
Turned boiler off, drained down, swapped old lockshields for TRVs, refilled, checked my work, turned boiler on and all working.
3 hours later I get a phonecall telling me the boiler's showing an F-5 fault (Gloworm). I presumed pressure needed topping up but it's at 2 bar so not that. Phoned a gas guy I know and he told me it's the thermal cut out and it can only be reset manually.
He talks me through it and explained that I'd need to take the cover off the boiler but that doesn't expose the combustion chamber or affect the flue so I'm OK to do it.
I didn't want to do it but as he said it was OK to do so I very carefully did, it was just a little red button that needed pressing and everything's now fine.
It still doesn't sit right with me though, what are the rules on this?
Thanks in advance.

if the gas appliance has another case around the combustion chamber (burner heat exchanger etc) your fine taking the first case/cover off as long as you dont touch the secondary (combustion chamber one)

if the gas appliance has another case around the combustion chamber (burner heat exchanger etc) your fine taking the first case/cover off as long as you dont touch the secondary (combustion chamber one)

Not according to GSR tech help

So your saying a sparky cant take the cover off to wire a boiler on a new build because he's not gsr he would have to call out a gas safe engineer to take the cover off and then wait while its wired in then replace the cover, never gonna happen!

So your saying a sparky cant take the cover off to wire a boiler on a new build because he's not gsr he would have to call out a gas safe engineer to take the cover off and then wait while its wired in then replace the cover, never gonna happen!

yes if he has to take the cover off (combustion seal one) yes but most decent makes of boilers are coming around to putting plugs on the bottom/ dont have to take the case off to wire classic one

worcester cdi compact series

or if they dont they normally have a length of wire hanging out the bottom of them

We all had argument on site last year about what a plumb can do and can't do and we ended up ringing gsr tech help. The bloke on the end said can't even hang the boiler lol . Truth be told the only people that follow the rules is us no one else does.

Heat only or system boilers won't have a plug then again it needs commissioning after the hamfisted sparkies attacked it so shouldn't be a problem;)

We all had argument on site last year about what a plumb can do and can't do and we ended up ringing gsr tech help. The bloke on the end said can't even hang the boiler lol . Truth be told the only people that follow the rules is us no one else does.

your right but not because they have to take the cover off, its because of the flue and distances etc

I was in BQ other day could over here some builder telling his customer that she needs to put a vent in for her new combi he's gonna fit .
hmmmm

That's from 2011 though Shaun. GSIUR changed quite significantly this year as you know, and the definition of "competent became much more clearly defined. In view of that, I think this advice might be superseded.

yea know its from 2011 cant find the new one ive seen but its the same i sure of it,and as your not touching any case seal i cant see an issue tbh

The front cover is the case seal on these boilers so really you shouldn't of touched it.

The front cover is the case seal on these boilers so really you shouldn't of touched it.

Yep, that's how I interpreted it too.... Like when we tell the DIY public on here, they cannot remove the case on the boiler as it forms part of the flue etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boilers and non gas safe plumbers... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi All, what's the cost of a service for an unvented system ? (valiant boiler & mega flow cylinder). I was charged £320.00, for the following: Boiler service - no parts changed. Change wireless thermostat (honeywell to Tado), I supplied the thermostat starter kit. is that about correct ? Also...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed up in my work for so long that I’ve enrolled to do my gas safe and become an engineer. I know it’s hard work but I’m really excited and I’d love to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock