Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler test point cap missing. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello my dad had a boiler check up today and the cap on the flue above the boiler had fell off. It's potentially been like that for a long time.

Was this dangerous? We have a carbon monoxide detector but that never went off.

I have posted a picture below of the little cap, the engineer installed a new one

Attachments

• PXL_20230804_094735722~2.jpg
    PXL_20230804_094735722~2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 28
They don’t just fall off probably been off since the last service/ when it last last removed (the cap)

Long-term exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can cause neurological symptoms. This may mean you have difficulty thinking and experience regular emotional changes. You might become easily irritated, depressed or make impulsive, irrational decisions

Any of these?

Where is the Carbon Monoxide alarm positioned?

Yes, if it was the flue sample cap it was considered dangerous and is classed as immediately dangerous in the industry. As per @ShaunCorbs they don’t tend to fall off, unless it was fitted loosely last time?

What did your engineer say?

If it was the air sample cap, then it’s still a risk, but not as bad.

Yes, if it was the flue sample cap it was considered dangerous and is classed as immediately dangerous in the industry. As per @ShaunCorbs they don’t tend to fall off, unless it was fitted loosely last time?

Or the old was was badly corroded and brittle. Still dangerous as wouldn’t have secured. And last guy should have got a new one

The alarm is sitting on the kitchen window sill about 5 feet away from the boiler and just below it.

My dad spoke to the engineer and he didn't say a whole lot, just that it was dangerous.

I'll add a closer photo, can you tell from this photo if it's a flue or air cap?

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_110741637.jpg
    PXL_20230805_110741637.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 16
The alarm is sitting on the kitchen window sill about 5 feet away from the boiler and just below it.

My dad spoke to the engineer and he didn't say a whole lot, just that it was dangerous.

I'll add a closer photo, can you tell from this photo if it's a flue or air cap?
Yes, flue cap as the air cap isn’t there, couldn’t tell from previous photo. Carbon monoxide alarm is in the wrong place, all ones I’ve fitted are a 1m to a maximum of 3m away from the fuel burning appliance and must be above any window or door as well as other considerations - could be why it’s not gone off

Unfortunately it is something we all have done over time, left the cap off, phone rings customer talks to you etc etc, I now always try to put the cap in a place i wont fail to see it's not back on. If it is that dangerous why is it so easy to leave off,

Reply to Boiler test point cap missing. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock