Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobo128

Gas Engineer
Been to see a job recently. The customer is planning on have a loft conversion with an ensuit.
At the moment it is a 4 bedroom house with a bathroom and ensuit. There are 10 rads in the house. The ensuit has a shower that works of the boiler and the main bathroom has a bath and electric shower.

The new proposed ensuit will have an electric shower and a bath, basin and towel rail. The new proposed 5th bedroom will at most have two radiators.

They want to keep there existing boiler which is about 6 years old but is a worcester greenstar 30si

To me this boiler is undersized for the property let alone the new proposed work to be done.

I am tempted to go down the unvented route with this or something like a high flow.

What does anyone think?

Can I humbly suggest that you get yourself a copy of this design guide. CIBSE - Domestic Heating - Design Guide 2015 (Domestic Building Services Panel)

It will enable you to answer most of the heating design questions you have been asking, it is probable one of the best technical books I have ever seen & worth every penny of the £28 to a pro heating installer.

I am on my third edition.

You simple can't guess on heating requirements you need to do the heat loss calculations.

Last edited:
If that's just a heat only boiler that'll put out enough heat to heat the current house and the next door neighbours. Heat loss calculation will show just how little is actually needed. Amount of times I go to a largish property and the installer has panicked and thrown in a huge 30kw boiler when In fact they could have put in something like a 15kw.

If that's just a heat only boiler that'll put out enough heat to heat the current house and the next door neighbours. Heat loss calculation will show just how little is actually needed. Amount of times I go to a largish property and the installer has panicked and thrown in a huge 30kw boiler when In fact they could have put in something like a 15kw.

Does it make any difference if you install an oversized boiler ? You bet your bottom dollar it does,
the boiler electronics are system size related, so things like the amount of heat the boiler puts into the system when it fires for the first time each heating period differs in each, along with the minimum boiler heating rate etc.

Some think that just because a boiler is fully modulating it must be ok if I just spend over the odds getting a bigger boiler because I can't be assed to size it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Si combi boiler, the analog clock has stopped and the On-Timer-Off switch only works on Timer setting,. So I have set all the little timer switches to ON and the boiler does work then. Any help or source for a new clock would be great. TIA
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hi I've been to a customer today that has a 9 year old baxi duo tec40kw boiler,it runs 20 radiator that all work fine,they have 2 bathrooms and 1 electric shower and again have no issues with hot water.Over the last 4 years baxi have repaired the boiler on 8 occasions, with faults on gas valve...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock