Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a plumber to give me a quote for installing Central Heating. I have a large house, but I was surprised when he proposed a 140,000 BTU boiler. I've done the std calculation of measuring the room volumes and multiplying by 3,4 or 5. I only get 67,000 BTU. If I multiply all the volumes by 5 I still only get 76,000 BTUs required. I've tried a few of the on-line calculators. The worst case I found was one site that suggested a boiler 90,000 BTUs. What makes me more concerned is that the radiators he specified are only capable of giving out 86,000 BTUs.

Can anyone suggest why he might have specified such a large boiler? Are there any upsides, and what are the downsides I might see? The only thing I can think off is that i've got 18" solid stone walls. This will need a larger boiler than usual, but surely I should have radiators that can give out at least as much heat.

Ian

Last edited:
I need a little to go on.
how many bedrooms ?
on suites ?
how many bathrooms ?
solid walls ?
open plan ?
insulation/heat loss ?
what sort of boiler/system is proposed ?

for eg i live in a small end terrace 3 bed 1 bath. i wanted a high flow rate (13 l/min) combi.
Hence i installed a 130,000btu blr.
more than enough to run ch & will easily cope with a planned extension.

It's a 3 floor 5 bedroom end terraced house. No extension possible. No Ensuites. 1 Bathroom + second toilet downstairs.
18" Solid stone Walls. No open plan. Loft insulated. Hardwood d/glazed windows. Total room volume including hall and landings 15200 cu ft.

He's proposed a Worcester Bosch 42 CDI

Ian

To be honest without me actually coming round it sounds just the job.
17ltrs/min hot water.

But how about 140,000 BTU's being pumped into radiators that can only give out 86,000? Is this not wasteful?

I just measured the maximumum flow from my hot tap in the Kitchen. I got 9 Litres/min. The bath is almost never used in my house. So 9 Litres/min is plenty

its not wastefull the boiler is range rated & will run as the system demands.
is this ltr/min from cold tap ?

sorry reread it.

measure cold tap.

Your hw flow rate should improve no end. ie Superb shower

Last edited by a moderator:
The kitchen cold tap is giving about 25 Litres/min. It's near the incoming cold main. The cold bath tap is only giving 20 Litres/min

i Hope you can range rate the cdi!!!! or you are wasting energy!!

Interesting! I just took a closer look at the technical data for the boiler in question....

The Greenstar CDi Series at a glance - Worcester Homeowner area

Yes it's a 42KW boiler, but the full 42KW is only available to the hot water. The central heating gets from 9.4KW up to 30KW. This is sounding more like it. The 30KW is only 5KW above the radiator capacity.

I couldn't help but notice though, that the 30, 37 and 42CDI models all give 30KW to the central heating. So you pay your extra money just for the better hot water flow.

Last edited:
why didnt you ask the plumber, wouldnt want that job youll probably be looking over his shoulder offering useless advice.

why didnt you talk it through with your plumber hes the one whos quoting for the job would seem to me the sensible option

id be suprised if anyone can genuinely size a boiler on the info provided.

We need to know lots of info such as

wall thickness
roof type
dimensions of all windows
floor types
design temperates for each room
all room dimensions
ceiling types
designed flow temperature
Designed out side temperature

maybe ask for the workings!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock