Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler not registering a hot water tap being turned on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Before we start I will admit that I am a total novice when it comes to plumbing but before I call someone out I want to try and see if it is something simple. I have a triton mixer shower and when the tap is turned all the way to hot it doesn’t effect the temperature at all! It remains freezing cold. When I go to the combi boiler I see that it hasn’t even registered that hot water is needed and hadn’t kicked in.. I have attached images of the mixer valve. Do you think it is a mixer or boiler issue? Water is fine in another shower upstairs and the hot water does come through in the sink and bath in the same room. I can post more pictures if needed.

Thanks

B2B9B40B-E46D-4189-9D78-6B40AA50A03F.jpeg

84AF003A-0D1A-460B-9FCA-815AC63D95F6.jpeg

Do your other hot water taps work ?

Sounds like a shower issue

If the other taps are getting hot. Probably the shower thermostat/filter blocked or stuck non return valve.

If it's a blocked filter or non-return valve, then I'd expect very little flow when the shower is set to run hot.

Andy: is this the case?

Hi All, the water flow rate in the shower is fine. Really powerful actually.. The hot water tap on the sink and bath in the same room run fine and the combi boiler kicks in. You have to only slightly open the valve on the bath hot water tap to get it to warm up though. The shower has never run hot since i moved into to property. I have always used the ensuite shower but finally want to see if i can sort it. The chap who had it before was a builder and carried out alot of the work himself and it wouldn't surprise me if he had bodged it as i have found random wiring and work not carried out to a high standard elsewhere in the property! :(

I thought it might be a temperature regulator on the shower as the previous owner had young kids and was very safety conscious but the water is freezing even when the mixer is fully turned to hot.

I am sure the chap who installed it must have checked that it was working correctly when he plumbed it in and the previous owner was adamant that it has worked fine and been hot. I will be looking to have the bathroom done at some point and are reluctant to spend alot fixing it if i'm only going to rip it out in a years time.

Would the thermostatic cartridge be the reason for the combi boiler not kicking in when the mixer tap is turned fully to hot? Sorry if i sound like a plank :eek:) Like i say, i am a complete novice.

It can be yes. It could also be a stuck no return or blocked filter like I said. If you can isolate the shower and strip it? then give it a go yourself mate, otherwise I would call yourself a plumber in to repair it for you.

Triton mixers are the most unreliable out there.
It will need a new thermostat cartridge.

If the thermostatic cartridge is stuck/buggered then when you turn it to hot, it could still be using purely cold water. If so, the boiler will not need to fire as no hot water is actually running.

The cartridges are nearly £100
So dep nding on where you are, or could be between £150- £200..

Reply to Boiler not registering a hot water tap being turned on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock