Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler flue stains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys
Can you help me or at least point me in the right direction.
I have a problem at my own house where the flue from my oil boiler comes out the side of my built in garage.
I had 3 x 2 flags down on the outside and thought that the rust stains on the ground were coming from a metal heat guard. Due to the height of it i decided to remove it and do without.
I have repaved the area but within 3 months its back with avengeance.
I asked a local plumber if the boiler was leaking but he said the garage floor would be wet not the outside.
IMAG1191.jpgIMAG1190.jpg
Does anyone know what is causing this?
Thanks for your help in this
Richard

Didn't hit the oil pipe when repaving did you? Can you smell oil?

Water and metal will give you rust. Add in the heat and even stainless will go. Wall looks really wet around flue and it hasnt been the driest of autumns/winters.

Is there any steam come out when it first fires? Could be pin holed inside combustion chamber.

Hi This is what the boiler looks like when running. This video shows it after being on for a couple of hours

[video=youtube;vxEka6CxGJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxEka6CxGJE[/video]

If it is not rust coming from the stainless steel flue, then it must be sulphur from the gases which looks identical to that rusty colour. I see this on roofs - on the tiles/slates and on the lead slate on jobs where the flue is conventional vertical with rain cap. The water and sulphur from the combustion mix and drip onto roof.

Those type of flues are poor IMO because they throw the gases and plume against the wall.
A balanced flue that puts the fumes straight out is much better.
What sort of boiler is it? It can't be condensing with that flue. Maybe get your service engineer to check combustion isn't too fine set. Also consider new boiler and flue. Grant Vortex with Grant flue kit I prefer

Those type of flues are poor IMO because they throw the gases and plume against the wall.
A balanced flue that puts the fumes straight out is much better.
What sort of boiler is it? It can't be condensing with that flue. Maybe get your service engineer to check combustion isn't too fine set. Also consider new boiler and flue. Grant Vortex with Grant flue kit I prefer

Not a condensing boiler. Warmflow boiler approximately 18 years old & never had a problem. I don't think it's rust as this stuff is eating a hole in the new paving after only 3 months

Not a condensing boiler. Warmflow boiler approximately 18 years old & never had a problem. I don't think it's rust as this stuff is eating a hole in the new paving after only 3 months

What readings did your service guy get on the last service?

Sounds like acidic condensate. What fuel are you using?
Sudden thought, does the boiler have a condensate trap and outlet and if so should/does the flue slope back so any condense runs back into the boiler and out the trap instead of dripping outside?

OP said earlier that its not a steamer. Think it needs looking at inside the combustion chamber. Couldnt tell on the video wether the steam was coming off the wet flue or from the flue itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler flue stains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
G
I have a danesmore 20/25 oil boiler and it is firing up but it’s producing no heat to the water or the radiators My next door neighbour an electrician has checked the cylinder and thermostat and they all check out ok so he thinks the problem is within the boiler Can Someone help give me some...
Replies
Views
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install (tank about 1m lower). 10 days later and boiler either doesn't fire or fires stops, fires runs splutters stops. Most it runs now is 10 mins, but that's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock