Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler & cylinder firing up randomly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jarofjam

Hi everyone,

We recently had a new Vailant ecoTec Plus 630 boiler and Joule unvented cylinder installed, and overall everything works - we get hot water and heating at the right times.

But a few times now we've noticed the boiler and cylinder both loudly firing up in the middle of the night, when there is no demand for hot water or heating.

The boiler is clearly running, with the temperature display going up and a solid 'radiator' icon on the display (our setup has the radiator icon for both heating and hot water - no tap icon). At the same time, there is noise/activity from the cupboard housing the unvented cylinder, and from putting my ear against it, this appears to come from the cylinder itself rather than just the pipes. The radiators stay cold.

We've noticed this 2-3 times and there don't seem to have been any ill effects (apart from the annoying noise at night) but it does make me nervous. Last night, after about half an hour, I turned off the boiler from the front panel, although the unvented cylinder continued making noise.

Is this normal? What could be causing it? I'm no expert but to me it seems to go on too long just to be some sort of maintenance mode.

My best guess is that it wrongly thinks there's demand for hot water... does that sound right? Could it be a wiring fault?

Thanks.

My best suggestion would be to get the installer back and explain your worries

Well it could be a number of things
Faulty control component
Controls not set up properly
Controls set up correctly but wrong times
Someone fiddling with boiler settings the list goes on
If you trusted the guy to fit the boiler etc, trust him to be able to sort it satisfactorily

Thanks Riley - the main thing I want to confirm is that this isn't expected behaviour?

This is the difficult thing it could be, it could not be, it could be doing exactly what the controls are set up to tell it to do. This is why you need someone to take a look at it. Sorry I'm not trying to be unhelpful but some of these things you actually need eyes on to be able to understand what the system is doing

This is the difficult thing it could be, it could not be, it could be doing exactly what the controls are set up to tell it to do. This is why you need someone to take a look at it. Sorry I'm not trying to be unhelpful but some of these things you actually need eyes on to be able to understand what the system is doing

By controls do you mean the thermostat and hot water timer? I can confirm that these are definitely set correctly and there is no demand for heating or hot water when this happens. I even manually switched heating and hot water off at the controls to confirm. It is a Tado system.

Is there a back up immersion heater fitted? and if so has it inadvertently been left switched on permanently? This could explain the cylinder noise but not why the boiler is running. As above you need to double check that the controls are set up / installed correctly.

Is there a back up immersion heater fitted? and if so has it inadvertently been left switched on permanently? This could explain the cylinder noise but not why the boiler is running. As above you need to double check that the controls are set up / installed correctly.

The immersion heater is definitely off, and the controls are definitely set correctly.

Im guessing that it's a wiring issue - e.g. perhaps the hot water is set to come on where there's no demand and vice versa (we wouldn't notice the rest of the time because it cold outside so the boiler is on much of the day)

Sounds like you need to get your installer back. Fully explain the problem to the engineer on site, Not just over the phone to whoever answers. Ask the engineer to check all the wiring again and ask them to check each setting is performing as it should do.

As above really but could there be a frost stat kicking in these cold nights or set too high?

I know its a long shot but it does happen , if your immersion heater has a neon on it, it doesnt light , yep its off , if its a normal switch they can be upside down . Like I say longshot !!

As above really but could there be a frost stat kicking in these cold nights or set too high?

According to the manual, frost protection should heat up to about 30 degrees, but this was heating up to 60. But good thought!

Did you check which 2 port valve was open when found the boiler on.

It's going again now… there are two 2-port valves next to the unvented cylinder, and both of them resist when I pull the lever.

It's going again now… there are two 2-port valves next to the unvented cylinder, and both of them resist when I pull the lever.

That means it is wired correct and not calling for heat so it seems boiler settings need looking at.

Good luck.

That means it is wired correct and not calling for heat so it seems boiler settings need looking at.

Good luck.

The pipes going through those 2-port valves to the cylinder are hot, and there is noise from the cylinder cupboard and I think the cylinder itself. Does that make sense with the valves being inactive?

The pipes going through those 2-port valves to the cylinder are hot, and there is noise from the cylinder cupboard and I think the cylinder itself. Does that make sense with the valves being inactive?

To be honest if lever is not moving freely that means the valve is closed and boiler shouldnt fire but as you said the boiler is on. As others have adviced best get the the guy who installed the system back in.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler & cylinder firing up randomly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock