Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler coming on for a minute or so then going out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flanners

Hi guys im a gas safe qualified engineer and have been for the past 15 years. I recently done my OFTEC as I had a few installs coming up and also have some this year.

I had a call from a customer with Thermecon OS60/80 which has blown out due to the high winds. The boiler flue is in a high pressure zone but ill not stay on for more hat 1-2 mins once reset. Im going out tomorrow morning but just wanted to a if this has been come across by anyone?

Thanks!!

Might be photocell sooted. If boiler hasnt been able to get poc away for high winds. Might be coil. Really need to be in front of it with pressure gauge in and hear it go through the motions.

Flanners, get in the gas safe forum and the plumbers arms to be......err more credible while asking technical questions!

Check the filter, could just be bad timing.

Again need to be in front of it.....but if its staying on for a min or more doesn't sound like pe cell.... could be a circulating pump issue!!!

From memory.
os just means its a system boiler

It will also be sealed so check that it hasn't lost pressure and cooked the pump.

If the pressure is high or you want to recharge the expansion vessel dont operate the prv on these because they never seal, use a drain off.

if its the conventional flue check they have actually used a liner and not poked the first bit of cast up the chimney, something night have fallen in.

I doubt the air adjustment has been disturbed as if memory served these have a miser? Burner installed with a bolt you have to slacken off to adjust it

Maybe getting too complicated, - I would start with the obvious, -
Is the burner needing reset? If it is, then it is the burner that has a fault.
Check photocell is clean.
Check burner is actually igniting a flame.
Check ignition working.
Check oil pressure using a gauge. (maybe do a quick smoke pump & analyser test if any doubt)
If nothing obvious, then consider changing photocell or solenoid or control box.

Last edited:
As per all of the above. If you dont have the FGA or pressure testing gear, best refer it to whoever commissions your installs. 1-2 mins is quite a long time though, as above, is the burner locking out or the boiler going off on the stat'?

As has been said: start with the obvious - check the flue way. It could be that something is blocking it. Is there a chimney access point outside? if so remove it and check if the boiler runs ok without the cover in place. If it does then the problem is with the flue. If there isn't an access plate outside remove the cover from the boiler and see if it runs then. The adventituous air that's provided by removing the cover can be just enough to keep it running if it runs without the cove, replace if and see if it cuts out. If it does - again it's a flue way problem.
If none of the hove works - check the photo cell isn't sooted and check that the oil is reaching the burner - I know it seem a silly thing to do but I have had it where the supply pipe was crushed and it restricted the flow from the tank to the burner. All you need is to take a logical approach and you'll find the problem - eventually :)
Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler coming on for a minute or so then going out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not been serviced in a long time and oil filters were bunged up as was the nozzle. I decided to service it with hopes it was simple starving of fuel from...
Replies
Views
T
I have a 10 year old oil boiler has run well and gets serviced every year all tests are spot on, last week started locking out, would reset and run for short time, engineer fitted new control box and said thats it he was only away 10 minutes and it locked out, now waiting on new photocel, boiler...
Replies
Views
schubes18
S
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
problem with my oil boiler everything has been change all cleaned out set up but still locks out , if I remove photcell and shine a light on it it runs fine replace photocell and it stops again , new cell and control box, heating engineer is beat now as well
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock