Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler changes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Last few years this get a boiler fitted for a grand mob seems to be springing up from everywhere.

Had a few breakdowns this winter on older appliances where they have decided just as well get a new one only costs a grand to get a new boiler.They have decided the price before i have even given them a quote as recently these adverts around here are everywhere .Spoke to the suppliers and they say that loads of mobs are now doing the grand a boiler thing.

Anyone here affected by this or doing these installs??

Yep, except round here, there offering boilers fitted for between £850 and £895 !!!!

Yep, except round here, there offering boilers fitted for between £850 and £895 !!!!

What boilers are them? I can't see how anyone can do that and still earn more than or even the same as on the books

Ravenheat, Vokera excel, heatline all around the £400 ish plus vat to buy- must be at least half a dozen under £900 in the local magazine alone .

How much labour do you put on?

My way of looking £400 plus flue plus chemicals and vat etc you are soon up to £800

I haven't got involved in doing them at that yet as it's just a race to the bottom but when you keep losing jobs it's hard not to consider it as the mortgage has to be paid.

To me though the lowest I can do properly and earn a living would be £1100 anything below that something is not being done.

That's where I normally start and try and up sell but all I seem to get is, but they are £200 plus cheaper even though I explain the future problems. Beginning to think if ya can't beat em ........ but it really goes against the grain.

That's where I normally start and try and up sell but all I seem to get is, but they are £200 plus cheaper even though I explain the future problems. Beginning to think if ya can't beat em ........ but it really goes against the grain.

Yeah I do the same start off with a Vokera and then work upwards of that.

I swear some people must charge £150 a day some of the prices I've seen and if I'm going to earn that before expenses I would be looking for a job!

I was speaking to the bloke behind the counter at screwfix and he said he knew of someone charging £100 a day! I said duck that I would rather work for a company,

Too many people looking at short term wages and not factoring in the costs of running a business long term

These muppets either burn out, fade away or get wise and charge properly. Trouble is, the damage they do to established legitimate businesses whilst they're in the dimwit period.

They get found out eventually, then we get paid to put the shoddy work right. You get what you pay for

and they can do powerflushing in that time??? Not for me. Rather not have those jobs

Not just that sir no !
Last one I lost a good 20 year customer to was as follows:-
Flush
New Worcester junior
New TRV + LSV all round
Programmable RF stat
Inhibitor
First fix plumbing to en suite
Vertical flue.
Reposition boiler.
Convert from conventional to combi ( usual stuff )
Remove and disposing idea e type ( lumps behind your ears )
Remove asbestos flue.

Their price was less than I can provide materials alone.

How ?
How ?
I still don't get it ?

Got to be knocked off boiler or just plain stupid ?

Like woodsy say plenty round where we live doing boilers for peanuts. You just have to try and rise above it. Most of em fitting vokera excels inc flue @ £454.00 inc vat near me.
Such a pile of shoot. Bit you get what you pay for. There is people that will pay for good job but it aint easy.

Think of all the breakdowns when these cheap ****e boilers start packing up.

Are these company's getting backing from somewhere ? as they seem to be larger than sole traders or small set-ups, is it something underhanded going on with BG to force out the little guy ? the ones I have seen around Plymouth seem to spend a lot on advertising one even has a shop, has well as some new vans plastered with slogans, and I cant see how they are doing it without major backing !

Are these company's getting backing from somewhere ? as they seem to be larger than sole traders or small set-ups, is it something underhanded going on with BG to force out the little guy ? the ones I have seen around Plymouth seem to spend a lot on advertising one even has a shop, has well as some new vans plastered with slogans, and I cant see how they are doing it without major backing !

I know one firm is right in with a local rep

They advertise installs for £800, I guarantee no customer in their history has ever gotten away with paying just £800
I am almost certain it goes something like:
extra to core a new flue, extra to upsize gas, extra to run new coondense, extra to have it installed by a gas safe registered engineer :D

That £800 would literally be a straight swap same boiler out as in.

It does work at times, I remember years ago replacing a Glowworm as it needed a new pcb and fan (my old boss diagnosed) it worked out slightly more expensive to just put new boiler on and took 4 hours.

That £800 would literally be a straight swap same boiler out as in.

It does work at times, I remember years ago replacing a Glowworm as it needed a new pcb and fan (my old boss diagnosed) it worked out slightly more expensive to just put new boiler on and took 4 hours.
Pcb + fan replacement was that much?

hold firm on your prices lads! We do a good job and charge well for it :)
We all earn good money and everyone is happy.

Let these people work for nothing, they burn out and pack it in! Just earn your money off fixing there installs and stick to the good earners off your regulars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler changes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

have a mixture of radiators range between 25 & 60 years old.Im having a new boiler fitted, do I change all the rads or just the old ones? Cheers
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
C
I got my regular annual boiler service for my Vaillant ecoTek 930 about a month ago, and the engineer identified that the AAV was leaking, so he closed it. This is a tenanted property and it's not straightforward to get access to it. How risky is it to / how long can I leave the AAV closed...
Replies
Views
Cabe F
C
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the boiler running again. The only reason it has not been used i so long is the the zone valve kept getting stuck (would have fixed this myself if i knew!)...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock