Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler and DHW Tank in same room... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greenbeast

I'm thinking of having a new condensing boiler fitted
it would most likely go in the bathroom (if not physically accessible from the bathroom then sited in the bathroom but accessible from the kitchen)

i would like the hot water tank close to avoid long pipe runs to the current tank location

i understand that if the tank isn't higher than the boiler then it won't thermosyphon and will need pumping

if i get the new boiler mounted low and the new tank (or moved tank) mounted high, but on the same floor, can i avoid the use of a pump and still rely on thermosyphon?

my thoughts are that any height difference will be enough and that there shouldn't be any reason for a boiler to be sited on the floor?
am i wrong?

Thanks!

Does the boiler also provide heating? If so then I would expect that you already have a pump and a bit of re-plumbing will suffice.

If it's a purely gravity system then it will be ever so inefficient and I suspect a new condensing boiler won't be worth paying for.

(Actually under the Building Regs I don't think you can install a gravity system anymore!)

the current boiler does supply the heating. but i can't control them independantly
there is a pump but i thought this was for the central heating?

i'm happy to be corrected and that if the current dhw coil is pumped (instead of just thermosyphon) then my leccy usage will be no different if i use a pump with the new boiler

The pump may only be for heating at present but a better arrangement will be for the same pump to be plumbed to to supply both heating and HW by use of separate thermostats and motorised valves. You have to do this anyway if you install a new boiler unless there is a pressing reason not to. You also need to add thermostatic radiator valves to get Building regs approval to the latest energy saving requirements.

So the answer to your original question is that if you replumb to pump the HW then you can have the tank anywhere you want!

The building regs do not permit a new boiler to be fitted without upgrading a system to fully pumped. Apart from that I am not aware of any condensing boiler that is suitable for gravity hot water.

Mike

ok cool, thanks for the replies

that makes it easier then!
if i've got to run a pump i've got to run a pump!

was just looking to save a few electrical units!

If you go for the new Grundfos alpha 2 pump it is A rated and will probably use less electricity than your existing pump uses. You should also make savings on your gas bills due to the higher efficiency of a new boiler. This would more than offset the extra power that any pump would take.

Mike

yeah the efficiency of the newer boiler was mostly the point of the change.

given that we're gonna decorate the lounge next it seemed sensble to get the boiler and fire out now rather than later

i guess the F&E tank needs to stay higher than all the rads?

given that the bathroom and kitchen are adjacent and the only wet areas of the house, will it simply be a case of hooking the new boiler into to the central heating circuit via the piping present for the bath room rad and run short new insulated dhw runs to the sinks/bath/shower?

i will need a cold supply from loft tank but that should be the only thing that needs to be newly piped from the top of the house

is this sounding right?

It's doubtful you'll just be able to connect new heating flow and returns into the bathroom rad pipework. That may even be run off the gravity HW circuit. Ideally you need to connect back to the existing 22mm flow and return.

You're about right with the hot water side of things.

Your best bet is to get 2 or 3 heating engineers in to advise you and give you a quote for the required works.

Mike

yeah i'll be getting quotes in the new year

the bathroom is on the ground floor at the back of the house and the existing tank/pipework is in the first floor front bedroom

i've just had a new tongue & groove floor put down in the dining room

aargh!

Without sounding stupid...

If the central heating is one big circuit, can the existing boiler connections not be terminated and new connections made at a different point in the circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler and DHW Tank in same room... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock