Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. I need to replace a Vokera Linea 28 boiler, currently looking at WB, Vaillant and Viessmann. Had an absolute nightmare trying to track down a Viessmann installer in my area, Viessmann themselves were useless kept sending wrong local installer links, then sent numbers that were not recognised...I eventually gave up, lost confidence in the brand before I had even bought one! Now looking at Vaillant or WB. Initially wanted a CDi Classic but installer put me off saying they were about to be redesigned/current one discontinued, recommended a CDi Compact (32CDi). Vaillant quote was very vague, did not name a specific boiler and ended up being about £600 more expensive than other quotes.

I believe WB have a 10 year no quibble guarantee, Vaillant have a 7 year with option to extend by paying a fee to Vaillant. At the moment, I am leaning towards WB 36CDi compact for the hot water ability, I'm in a 3 bed detached with excellent water pressure. I have also just seen a lot of recommendations for an Ideal Vogue, In my last house I had an Ideal Isar....worst boiler ever, never worked properly constantly cutting out mid shower...grrr....and was condemned a year after it was fitted! I only rented that house no had no control over the boiler. Luckily I moved out around the time they condemned it but left me wary of Ideal boilers, though my parents had an Ideal Turbo which was only replaced last year with another Ideal after nearly 25 years fault free service.

The other issue is current boiler is non condensing, condensate run practically impossible from current location upstairs in middle of house. Condensate pump seems to be only option unless I relocate boiler to loft which will cost a lot more. Current recommendation is Altech pump made by Sauermann, believe these are reliable and very quiet?

Was also looking at weather compensation, I have Hive installed and would like to keep it - roughly understand concept of weather comp but from research only adds max 1.5/2% to efficiency?

Happy to hear any recommendations/guidance!

Thanks, in advance.

Viessmann best by miles my friend ( but we all have our favourites )
I am a Viessmann installer and have been with them over 10 years now , I fit nothing else these days .
I am very supprised at what you say about the phone numbers perhaps thats down to the installer not Viessmann.

Viessmann best by miles my friend ( but we all have our favourites )
I am a Viessmann installer and have been with them over 10 years now , I fit nothing else these days .
I am very supprised at what you say about the phone numbers perhaps thats down to the installer not Viessmann.

Definitely Viessmann, they were awful on the phone, sent the wrong info then sent numbers which were unobtainable and websites for installers that did not work etc. Not actually been able to have any contact with a Viessmann installer as yet. Made me think that If I did buy one myself and have it installed it would be a nightmare trying to get anyone out to look at it, very disappointed with Viessmann to be honest.

Go with your instincts, if an installer/manufacturer doesn't fill you with confidence for whatever reason there are many others. Ideal are better nowadays and the Vogue is up there with most other premium combi's and I believe (from the last boiler recommendation thread) approved Ideal installers can now offer a 12 yr warranty on the Vogue. I'm impressed with Atag's lifetime warranty on the heat exhanger but you might have trouble finding an installer but do check their website and reviews. You haven't said how many and what hot water outlets you have and therefore the max HW demand at any one time, that'll decide what power rating you need.

If the boiler is in the middle of the house where does the flue run, up or out? If it's to an outside wall rather than the roof you can probably run the condensate in the same direction and then to the nearest outlet.

Definitely Viessmann, they were awful on the phone, sent the wrong info then sent numbers which were unobtainable and websites for installers that did not work etc. Not actually been able to have any contact with a Viessmann installer as yet. Made me think that If I did buy one myself and have it installed it would be a nightmare trying to get anyone out to look at it, very disappointed with Viessmann to be honest.

I will forward this on to my regional manager, he will not be happy seeing this . Honestly I am astounded .

If the boiler is in the middle of the house where does the flue run, up or out? If it's to an outside wall rather than the roof you can probably run the condensate in the same direction and then to the nearest outlet.

Hi,

3 bed detached, vertical flue up through roof, cant get condensate pipe to nearest drain as would involve pulling up floor and prob not get enough drop on pipe run for drainage. 1 bathroom with bath/mixer shower, excellent water pressure so thought a WB 36CDi Compact would give plenty hot water and decent shower, 24KW for heating more than enough. Won't have hot water running in more than 1 room at a time.

Viessmann = nightmare to deal with from recent experience.
WB = Prob my go to choice but happy to consider other brands
Vaillant = £600 more from quote than WB quote
Ideal Vogue = seen mixed reviews
Navien = Plumbase seem happy to recommend, new entrant to UK market so reliability unknown but build quality appears good.
ATAG = will have a look

I will forward this on to my regional manager, he will not be happy seeing this . Honestly I am astounded .

Please do, you can also mention to him that I even went as far as to email Graham Russell, UK Managing Director of Viessmann, not even the courtesy of a reply. I also tried again today, 2 of the installers listed by Viessmann on their installer search don't fit Viessmann boilers and have not done so for some time. Speaks volumes really.

Vaillant accredited installer says 7, extra cost to make up to 10?
personally I believe you will be needing a magnetic filter on a new boiler standard. I wouldn't fit one without. the Vaillant filters bring the boiler upto 10 year warranty. doesn't cost much more than a magnaclean filter.

Please do, you can also mention to him that I even went as far as to email Graham Russell, UK Managing Director of Viessmann, not even the courtesy of a reply. I also tried again today, 2 of the installers listed by Viessmann on their installer search don't fit Viessmann boilers and have not done so for some time. Speaks volumes really.

Good Evening Macladd,

I hope you are well.

My name is James Carter & I am an Area Business Manager for Viessmann UK.

Firstly can I please apologize regarding the issues you have experienced so far contacting Viessmann UK.

Townfanjon brought this to my attention this afternoon, I have just created an account on here to try and help you.

I would be more than happy for you to contact me.

Kind Regards,

James Carter
Area Business Manager
Viessmann

Vaillant quote £600 more than w.b…. that sounds wrong to me. I never recommend a Worcester boiler. the only thing good about them is their easier to install.

Hi,

3 bed detached, vertical flue up through roof, cant get condensate pipe to nearest drain as would involve pulling up floor and prob not get enough drop on pipe run for drainage. 1 bathroom with bath/mixer shower, excellent water pressure so thought a WB 36CDi Compact would give plenty hot water and decent shower, 24KW for heating more than enough. Won't have hot water running in more than 1 room at a time.

Viessmann = nightmare to deal with from recent experience.
WB = Prob my go to choice but happy to consider other brands
Vaillant = £600 more from quote than WB quote
Ideal Vogue = seen mixed reviews
Navien = Plumbase seem happy to recommend, new entrant to UK market so reliability unknown but build quality appears good.
ATAG = will have a look
Was the Vaillant and WB quoted from the same engineer? Also, you can fit a condense pump to remove the condense and the PRV.

I bet it was the same engineer and he prefers Worcester’s or longer warranty or a manual flush verse a powerflush

Nope, 1 was WB accredited installer, other was Vaillant accredited installer. quote for 36CDi Compact around 2.8K Vaillant (no specific boiler in quote) around 3.5K This is for swapping a Vokera Linea 28, manual flushing system, filter, pre sludge remover and post inhibitor, pipework (boiler staying in same place) Existing Gas pipe already 22mm, and condensate pump with line up to attic to tie into soil stack. Don't need controls as already have HIVE.

Good Evening Macladd,

I hope you are well.

My name is James Carter & I am an Area Business Manager for Viessmann UK.

Firstly can I please apologize regarding the issues you have experienced so far contacting Viessmann UK.

Townfanjon brought this to my attention this afternoon, I have just created an account on here to try and help you.

I would be more than happy for you to contact me.

Kind Regards,

James Carter
Area Business Manager
Viessmann

Hi James and thank you for doing that. I would be very happy to discuss.

Yes it is
Vaillant ask for them but what do you think of them now, I used to fit Spirotecs all the time but now they seem a bit dated perhaps superceeded by newer designs. I now prefer the Fernox TF1 Omega, similar smaller body design but better magnet centrally located seems to be able attract more crud, better value too but time will tell.

Nope, 1 was WB accredited installer, other was Vaillant accredited installer. quote for 36CDi Compact around 2.8K Vaillant (no specific boiler in quote) around 3.5K This is for swapping a Vokera Linea 28, manual flushing system, filter, pre sludge remover and post inhibitor, pipework (boiler staying in same place) Existing Gas pipe already 22mm, and condensate pump with line up to attic to tie into soil stack. Don't need controls as already have HIVE.
Was one Vat a
Vaillant ask for them but what do you think of them now, I used to fit Spirotecs all the time but now they seem a bit dated perhaps superceeded by newer designs. I now prefer the Fernox TF1 Omega, similar smaller body design but better magnet centrally located seems to be able attract more crud, better value too but time will tell.
I am an Adey man all day long mate. If people want a 10 year warranty I price for that.

same as harvest... adey all the way. yet to fit the Vaillant filter but its the same as spirotec just with a Vaillant serial number for the 10 year warranty and double the price.:rolleyes:

Wb filter is made by adey I think, great filter. The CDI classic is a better boiler than the compact. Veissman are ok, think there poo doh smell tho. German boliers = over complicated normal quality.

Reply to Boiler advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock