Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Okay, our current boiler (Glowworm 18sxi) was installed in 2007 and has been nothing but trouble ever since. It has been regularly serviced and has had many new parts over that time including new pump, 2 new PCBs, thermistors, several PRVs, flue collector, expansion vessel, the list goes on. Just about the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the heat exchanger and fan. The boiler has just had its annual service and has been classed as immediately dangerous (for the second time in its life) and capped off. The pressure sensor is apparently not working properly, it needs a new inner cover seal and most importantly the flue collector has apparently failed again (last replaced 6 years ago) leading to combustion gas leakage. I'm waiting for a price for the repairs, but the bill was over £300 when it was done 6 years ago so I'm expecting a similar hefty bill this time.

The engineer said that most condensing boilers these days have a life of 11-12 years so mine is getting towards the end of its life but he said everything else in the boiler is actually working well, so recommends we go ahead with the repair. However, this damn thing has probably cost me £2k+ in repairs since it was installed so I'm beginning to think it might be better to just bite the bullet and get the damn thing replaced. They are going to quote me for a boiler replacement as well, and said they usually fit Worcester Bosch as they have a 10 year warranty but the price is likely to be £2k+

Question is, what would you advise in my situation - repair or replace? If replace, is there anything out there that is built to last 15-20 years these days?

You're probably only going to chuck good money after bad despite most of it being replaced so think about a replacement.
The better model/manufacturers usually offer 10 yr warranties as long as the installation is done by an approved installer and you keep up with regular servicing etc. You'll get a variety of recommendations but the usual suspects of late have been Viessman, Vaillant and Atag the last of which offer a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger (hex). I think it would be fair to say that the general opinion of WB here is that their boilers are still a triump of marketing of substance. I don't mind them but I try and steer clients towards a boiler with a stainless steel hex for longevity if I can but it's usually the quality of the installation that determines the longevity of the boiler nowadays.

Some people don't like Worcester but I think there great

Another one that I fit is Viessmann

Thanks for the comments so far.

Next question.... if I decide to go for a replacement, what is the best way to find a good quality local installer (Peterborough area)? I'm not sure I want to stick with the current engineer (ok for servicing but I'm less confident on larger jobs). I don't like relying on google reviews or other general review sites as they can so easily be faked.

Any friends or family recommendation?

I advise the ideal vogues. I give my customers 12year warranties with the vogue Max. I used to be a Worcester soldier but from an engineer standpoint I prefer the vogues for installation and servicing / working on.
Every engineer will have different experiences. I.E. I've never set my eyes on a veissmann boiler but I love German tech and think that veissmann look the part.
I would stay away from glowworm , vokera , ferroli , alpha .... but that's just me.
Baxi , vaillant etc are good manufacturers

Reply to Boiler advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock