Discuss Boiler advice appreciated. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone. I have a powermax 150 boiler which I have had since I purchased the house. As far as I know, it is was placed when the house was built and is 18 years old. It is very large, noisy and 74% efficient. Every year it is serviced, I get the same advice to change it as parts are expensive , you will save £££etc etc. I have resisted this advice as I have always felt " if it aint broke, dont fix it". We are looking to move house in the next 6 months and I have started to get issues with the burner light now becoming intermittant. Hot water is still being made but the heating doesnt appear to be working. The fact this happening in august rather then winter is benefecial as it means I can plan things! The boiler(and tank inside) fit in the airing cupboard upstairs. The house is 4 bedroom detached with 2 bathrooms.

Obviously I dont want to spend too much money that I might not get benefots of but equally, I realise that a problematic boiler might affect the sale of the house.

Can someone advise how they would deal with this and possible costs involved?

Thanks

I would bite the bullet and change the boiler if you have it repaired the buyer if he knows anything will try to knock down your price saying new boiler required. Also you have to have proof of servicing and that the boiler is safe. The buyers solicitor will ask for this

TBH it would help the sale eg new boiler

If it was me I would get it changed for a Viessmann 222

Don't go with a combi boiler as it won't be good enough for two bathrooms

I am in a similar situation except we have sold our house and gardens for demolition so a new dev. can take its place. My boiler is 18 year young and soldiers on. Replacement parts for yours might be available from IGNITE HEAT SPARES who remanufacture loads of bits and this keeps my 30 kw wall hung in tip top condition. We have to wait till after xmas b4 we go - get an OLD gas fella to look but tell him what you want 1st. Putting a new boiler in now means you will not get your full money back from the newbies - spend £1000 plus and get little in rtn

I am in a similar situation except we have sold our house and gardens for demolition so a new dev. can take its place. My boiler is 18 year young and soldiers on. Replacement parts for yours might be available from IGNITE HEAT SPARES who remanufacture loads of bits and this keeps my 30 kw wall hung in tip top condition. We have to wait till after xmas b4 we go - get an OLD gas fella to look but tell him what you want 1st. Putting a new boiler in now means you will not get your full money back from the newbies - spend £1000 plus and get little in rtn

The return you will get is that the buyer won't try to knock £5000.00 or more of the price for the installation of a new boiler.

on average houses sell for £4000 less than asking price anyway so give them something to wine over, most new buyers of bigger homes rip it all out anyway these days or make it way bigger and need new M.E.S. anyway

I would get a decent heating engineer to repair it if you are moving home as parts are not that expensive. The chances that the agent or the buyer knowing that your old boiler needs replacing are pretty slim. These boilers are terrible but would cost best part of £5000 to replace and if looked after last longer than most which do not. I have one on my books that I installed as it was specified in 2002 and is still going strong also very reliable in a small guest house which as had far use the the average domestic demand. But they are a terrible unit

Huh? Surely as soon as the prospective buyer/agent see the EPC they'll be wanting the cost of replacing/renewing it off the asking price?

By that logic, people would want the cost of wall/loft/floor insulation knocked off too. Logically, they would and you'd be right, but doesn't seem to happen from what I hear.
But if the new boiler is genuinely going to save gas, then do it and you can help save the planet (though giving up eating meat and not using air travel will likely have a much bigger impact than your old boiler).

In all honesty I would get the old girl replaced she's done her bit and its time for a new model, it may seem a big outlay but you will regain most of your outlay when the property is sold and with winter only round the corner you do not want a unreliable boiler, potential purchasers will love a nice warm comfortable and controllable system expect to pay £4000 to £5000 . Cheers kop

Thanks for all the useful advice. I have decided to change the boiler before winter arrives. I have had a number of quotes and varying types of boilers.

1. New ideal veige 40kwh combi with filter and chemical clean of system, 12 year guarantee. £2.3k

2. Worcester Bosch 30i ERP (30kwh combi)with chemical clean
£4.4k

3. Veissmann 111 with storage with 10 year guarantee.(told me combi would not be advisable) , £3.3k

Can anyone comment on any of these quotes? Im getting mixed messages on whether a combi or storage boiler would work for my home.

Thanks

As you have a storage boiler already I would go with the Viessmann 111

What about a flush and a filter on the Viessmann????

Right - go get a quote for the install of whatever boiler you want from Mr reputable. Don't mention the clean out etc. and when you get quote face to face HIT THEM WITH I want 'a' clean out included - When I sold the central heating on a domestic basis - I would just thro it in when I had thought I had made the deal !!. its easy
and a million year guarantee.

Boiler and seperate unvented cylinder is the way to go - 4.4k for the Worcester is a bit steep but a combi is not really suitable for a 4 bed property. Kop

Boiler and seperate unvented cylinder is the way to go - 4.4k for the Worcester is a bit steep but a combi is not really suitable for a 4 bed property. Kop
whats the merchant price on this one when you buy 2-3 a week
as we used to - and carry it thro to our customers dont use a one trick installer get a medium sized set up who can pass on their discounts

The Vaillant 938 isn’t the right boiler for your type of property it is still a combi boiler. Look at the Vaillant ecotec plus 4 series if open vented or 6 series if a sealed system. Also the size of business doesn’t really matter. Sometimes the bigger companies do worse jobs and charge more.

There should be a STD reply combi s are no good if you have more than one bathroom end of IMHO this story has gone on for years and the answer is always the same NO

There should be a STD reply combi s are no good if you have more than one bathroom end of IMHO this story has gone on for years and the answer is always the same NO
But the problem is what you see above. Some Engineers will still fit big combi’s in 4/5/6 bed houses. Even when they know they shouldn’t. The response you get is (well don’t use both bathrooms at the same time) I have a 4 bed with 2 bathrooms and I moved i to it because it had 2 bathrooms and I intended to use them :D:D:D

But the problem is what you see above. Some Engineers will still fit big combi’s in 4/5/6 bed houses. Even when they know they shouldn’t. The response you get is (well don’t use both bathrooms at the same time) I have a 4 bed with 2 bathrooms and I moved i to it because it had 2 bathrooms and I intended to use them :D:D:D
Spot on it being going on for years cause they are a simple fit with relative high profit my gaff is 5 beds over 3 floors 3 bathrooms and I use a 30 kw wall hung conventional system it’s lovely

Some people need the extra space in th A/C
Some cant afford a new boiler and cylinder install
Im not saying a combi is the best option but it does the job if you know the limitations.

It’s easy to tell there are 6 semis and we all have huge gardens so I put a deal together in 2006 but it fell thro but it’s come back so all 6 houses have signed up to sell and we get the price of our land which is more than the houses are worth , it’s been a hard route but we are all there now so it will be 35=flats with parking etc

It’s easy to tell there are 6 semis and we all have huge gardens so I put a deal together in 2006 but it fell thro but it’s come back so all 6 houses have signed up to sell and we get the price of our land which is more than the houses are worth , it’s been a hard route but we are all there now so it will be 35=flats with parking etc
Sell out :D:D:D. Only joking. Where you moving to?

Some people need the extra space in th A/C
Some cant afford a new boiler and cylinder install
Im not saying a combi is the best option but it does the job if you know the limitations.
I fully understand that. But there are always ways around that. Like doing it a bit at a time. Or finance. Better you do it right the first time rather then pay out be disappointed and then have to go back to the original plan.

Sell out :D:D:D. Only joking. Where you moving to?
We don’t know yet but have two other smaller places anyway most probably we will get a couple of small jobs for the kids to buy to let from us dont really know another one in north Cornwall is a good option as they are cheap at present cause the Londoners have no dosh

I often fit a combi in a big property but also fit a unvented cylinder for supplying the upper floors i can't see the point in wasting water to get hot water to the kitchen , cloakroom or utility when the boiler is sited there , i agree with harvest it's all in the planning just cut your connections in and valve off future work can then be done with the minimum of disruption. Cheers kop

Reply to Boiler advice appreciated. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back