Search the forum,

Discuss Blowtorch recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derrybongo

Hi Guys
first post on here so go easy on me
I have just completed my ACS and ready to venture out into the big wide gas world and have read through the site and think the advice offered here is extrememly helpful to the pros and the beginners like myself.
coming from a mechanical background and not a plumbing one i would appreciate any advice on soldering joints and in perticular the best blowtorch to get to achieve a good soldered joint by a beginner like myself

Cheers for any advice given and apologies if this topic has already been covered

Derry

Can't go wrong with a Rothenberger Super Fire 2. I've tried various torches and still prefer this one.

A decent torch helps but it's technique and getting a feel for it more than anything else, so get your self a length of pipe and fittings and practice, practice, practice.

PS - I'm not being judgemental, but didn't you need to provide evidence that you could solder to get your ACS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
yes i done all my soldering during that and it was no problem but reading some of the comments on other threads regarding problems had soldering existing installations (moving rads etc) thought it best to have the right tools for the job as the one i have is a bit flaky
I agree 100% theres no substitute for experience
but nothing wrong with asking for advice from experienced guys along the way which makes sites like this invaluable

i will have a look at the torch you mentioned cheers

It depends, if your self employed get what suites you, so long as you can get refills easy.

If your going to be employed the Primus 2000 range seem the one. Its the one nearly every Plumbing company seems to have refills for.

If you go on a site with any other make you usually have problems waiting for refills.

And don't forget its about the only blow torch they will allow in multi story flats. The bigger bottles are a no no, as if the gas escapes it settles and goes down into the flats below. Its because Propane which is hotter than Butane, is the gas you really want. However it is heavier than air, so will not float off and disperse, but go down lift shafts and pipe ducts.

So obviously a small bottle of Propane is better than a large bottle.

I used both, because waiting for refills for the Primus 2000 slowed you down and cost about ÂŁ5 -7 for a small bottle, and depending on job could soon run out, whereas a large 28lb bottle of Propane cost about the same to refill but could last a few months.

Although obviously, I could only use the bigger bottles where conditions suited, the range of torches also seems better for the bigger bottles.

I was brought up using an 8lb primus bottle with sievert gas gun and tips , the beauty of blowlamps on hoses is that you only have the torch to handle and not the 2000 bottle which is easier to manouver , although i do have 2000 cylinder and torch .
fickle i know but all these things are personel preferance , cheers mark

It depends, if your self employed get what suites you, so long as you can get refills easy.

If your going to be employed the Primus 2000 range seem the one. Its the one nearly every Plumbing company seems to have refills for.

If you go on a site with any other make you usually have problems waiting for refills.

And don't forget its about the only blow torch they will allow in multi story flats. The bigger bottles are a no no, as if the gas escapes it settles and goes down into the flats below. Its because Propane which is hotter than Butane, is the gas you really want. However it is heavier than air, so will not float off and disperse, but go down lift shafts and pipe ducts.

So obviously a small bottle of Propane is better than a large bottle.

I used both, because waiting for refills for the Primus 2000 slowed you down and cost about ÂŁ5 -7 for a small bottle, and depending on job could soon run out, whereas a large 28lb bottle of Propane cost about the same to refill but could last a few months.

Although obviously, I could only use the bigger bottles where conditions suited, the range of torches also seems better for the bigger bottles.
dont get the primus if your in london i dont know anywhere that still stocks them its all the rothenburg type dispoasables here now so much so that im suprised to hear they still do them

PS - I'm not being judgemental, but didn't you need to provide evidence that you could solder to get your ACS?

Why would you need to prove you can solder for your ACS ?

They teach you how to work safely not how to work :D

Hi All
first part of the foundation course involved bending pipework and soldering fittings for pressure testing
for the portfolio 5 boiler installations were required cen1

Derrybongo

Hi Guys
first post on here so go easy on me
I have just completed my ACS and ready to venture out into the big wide gas world and have read through the site and think the advice offered here is extrememly helpful to the pros and the beginners like myself.
coming from a mechanical background and not a plumbing one i would appreciate any advice on soldering joints and in perticular the best blowtorch to get to achieve a good soldered joint by a beginner like myself

Cheers for any advice given and apologies if this topic has already been covered

Derry
Bernzomatic TS7000 is the same as Rothenburger sf2 but cheaper,they manufacture for them.Takes mapp too,learn how to use the mapp as it's quicker,better when pipework is wet and hotter for larger diameter pipework.35 mm gas carcass would take forever with propane!

Hmm!

Mapp gas may be hotter than Propane but its not cheaper and its cheap the companies go for. Up here the norm seems to be as I said Primus 2000 when employed.

And I suppose on 22 or 15mm if your a newbie you would have to watch you did not oxidize your pipes with the hotter flame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blowtorch recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock