Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss blowing in the wind AKA can anybody identify this? in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. pewatts

pewatts New Member

Hello

I know this is a long shot but there's no harm in asking.

The most trival of faults is going to cost me dear. I simply can find nobody who can identify this mixer or the cartridge in question.

The blue compression washer has fatigued slightly, causing a drip when the unit is off. Although I have stopped the drip by using a bit of Vasoline, I don't know if that will last if I run the water (can anyone give a view of that?)

I have searched high and low to replace the cartridge but to no avail. There is no branding on the unit or the cartridge. Showerdoctor didn't even reply when I pleaded for help :(

I've attached some pictures in the vain hope that someone recognises it. The unit has two outputs one for the shower and one for the bath. The middle control is a Thermostatic control.

If anyone can save me having to replace the WHOLE unit (including all the tiling damage etc) I'd be eternally grateful.

(Note the bigger blue washer is one I bought hoping it would be the right size. The one on the right (with Vasoline on it) is the actual washer.

Regards, Paul
    IMG_20160903_121721.jpg IMG_20160903_121742.jpg IMG_20161213_191304.jpg IMG_20161213_191251.jpg

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Re: P*****g in the wind AKA can anybody identify this?

How about just trying to add a thin washer to it, or replace the original washer from spare parts? Measure the washer diameter. Pity a standard inexpensive ceramic gland wouldn't have same size.
    It takes very little to compress the ceramic works better. I have used rubber O ring on some ceramic 1/2" taps to make a repair when nothing else was available.
    And welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  3. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. pewatts

pewatts New Member

Hi! See the larger blue gasket in my picture? That's where I got it from, believe it or not! It was far too big as you can see. Which was annoying in the extreme, because I thought I'd nailed it!!!!

5. pewatts

pewatts New Member

Hello, that had crossed my mind too. Worth a try perhaps!

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

sharp razor blade and cut the new one down in height wants about 1mm bigger/ higher than old one

7. pewatts

pewatts New Member

The bummer was that not only was the height an issue, it was a tiny bit thicker than the original so didn't want to sit in situ. I'm guessing that is down to the metal reinforcing ring in the gasket.

8. ShaunCorbs

the metal ring should come out and is it bigger on the diameter ?

9. pewatts

pewatts New Member

IMG_20161213_232918.jpg

So it does! Although it is taller but I wonder if I can shave a bit off with a Stanley Knife?

10. pewatts

pewatts New Member

And yes, subtly bigger on the diameter. Subtly. Perhaps talking the ring out is enough? I'll have to wait and see; the wife has embargoed me playing now in case I wake the Rugrats!

11. ShaunCorbs

depends how much bigger on dia if not much worth a try and yes a sharp knife blade on the height remember to add a mm think it will be on where the metal ring sits ish

12. pewatts

pewatts New Member

Yep agreed. I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks all for your ideas and assistance, I appreciate it.