Search the forum,

Discuss Blocking up discharge pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ehup peeps . As per title , I have an elderly customer with a very slow running shower waste. Heres the best bit ... under a tiled floor and it even gets better ,theres electric UFH under that ..

Has anybody out there some miracle solution I can pour down the pipe.
Happy to try any suggestions

Thanks in advance

One shot

Dam Buster(s), basically the same as One Shot but better imho. Have used it on 1. 1/2 pipe full of hair and scum etc to great affect.
Don`t breathe in the fumes though.

Yep I have some but I dont fancy it down a 1. 1/2 pipe , dont know why . Namely if it goes wrong lol , have you used it ?

Used it on a 2" pipe from a commercial kitchen (fat) cleared it right up

Has anybody out there some miracle solution I can pour down the pipe.

Blocked bathroom drains are usually plug of hair+grease+soap.

A drain auger ('snake') is my weapon of choice with a plunger as runner up.

Chemical treatments are either strong acid (suphuric in the case of One Shot) or strong alkali (sodium hydroxide). I don't like either of them much because they are hazardous and less effective than physical means but in theory alkali works better for organic blockages such as:

Buster bathroom plughole unblocker

There should be a special place in Hell reserved for bathroom fitters who install drains with incorrect falls and no access points.

Oh I dont half agree with your last paragraph @Chuck .

I read of a method years ago involving baking soda or bicarb and white vinegar , I may have a go but dont hold much hope . The customer wants me to try something on those lines first

Do you know if the waste pipe is a straight run ?

Could you feed a bit of 10mm bendy plastic down and have a poke ?

Do you know if the waste pipe is a straight run ?

Could you feed a bit of 10mm bendy plastic down and have a poke ?

An educated guess is 2.5 m then 1 elbow and then around 3 m, it must all be level . They asked me about 5/6 years to do the bathroom, I was to busy , they went with a bathroom " firm" , the minute I walked in the bathroom after it was finished I said this day would come ... great

I've had success with a wet vac jammed in the wastepipe ,
a wet cloth over the outlet by the drain. Sucked out a large wodge
of long hair.

I've had success with a wet vac jammed in the wastepipe ,
a wet cloth over the outlet by the drain. Sucked out a large wodge
of long hair.

Yep the vacs are great for that but I can get at either end.
#shitforbrainsbathroomfitters

An educated guess is 2.5 m then 1 elbow and then around 3 m, it must all be level . They asked me about 5/6 years to do the bathroom, I was to busy , they went with a bathroom " firm" , the minute I walked in the bathroom after it was finished I said this day would come . great

your best bet would be a snake if you dont want to go the road of chems

As me tupnęła earlier Oneshot is best thing in such situation BUT you will need to be careful as it's very accidic and it could cause damage to the the plastic pipe. However if you use a little and mix it with boiler water it will be fine. 99% I clear blockages with plunger and boiling hot water. I'd pour quite a few Liters of boiled water down the drain with a little one shot and then start plunging. You will see, it will solve a lot

As me tupnęła earlier Oneshot is best thing in such situation BUT you will need to be careful as it's very accidic and it could cause damage to the the plastic pipe. However if you use a little and mix it with boiler water it will be fine. 99% I clear blockages with plunger and boiling hot water. I'd pour quite a few Liters of boiled water down the drain with a little one shot and then start plunging. You will see, it will solve a lot
One Shot does not effect the pipe !!!!!

This what you need town got em on offer at plumbcentre £29 + vat add to the job cheers kop

149712317684485569597.jpg

Didn't roth re brand one ?

Be careful using a plunger if there's any chance there are push fit or compression waste fittings involved. I've seen them blown apart by vigorous plunging.

I agree with rpm chems wont affect the pipe after all its stored in a plastic bottle. But after blockage is cleared the acid is flushed with water.

One Shot does not effect the pipe !!!!!
I have seen it few times, deformed pipes or eaten away which caused a hole. I only say that because of my experience.
However, I know for certain it will melt the pipes and can cause serious problems.

I agree with rpm chems wont affect the pipe after all its stored in a plastic bottle. But after blockage is cleared the acid is flushed with water.
Not all plastics are the same though. Can you imagine a manufacturer being allowed to sell something that ultimately causes damage, respectively I suggest what matchless has seen is the result of two chemicals mixing.

Currently unable to edit the typo and my posts will include a time delay until cleared by a mod.

I have seen it few times, deformed pipes or eaten away which caused a hole. I only say that because of my experience.
However, I know for certain it will melt the pipes and can cause serious problems.

Would say there's more down to the boiling water your putting down the waste pipe

If hair is the problem, half a mug's worth of Oneshot will quickly burn through it and unblock the pipe. I have never had any damage caused by this product. The pipe can get hot because of the chemical reaction of the acid and water/hair in the pipe but I put some acid in the drain, (open windows for ventilatation, follow all instructions to the letter for safety) it burns through hair in only a minute or two then flush with cold water. Repeat as necessary until the water runs quickly, and completely from the shower waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocking up discharge pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock