Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked Urinal Waste Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony73

Hello

I recently did a job in a 2 bowl auto flushing urinal system in a small commercial unit. The waste pipe was blocked solid with urine crystal/congealed stuff. I had to cut the pipe to get access and the replaced the waste pipe and S bends. All worked well with the urinals coping with the flush and everything draining away fine.

today I got a call that the urinals were overflowing when the cistern flushed down. The pipe is blocked again after 2 weeks. There is a WC that feeds into the same waste stack as the Urinals.

Can anyone suggest why this might be blocked again so quickly and what my best course of action is before I go back to sort out.

Any help greatfully recieved as I'm a Urinal novice just trying to help a mate out.

I don't know I'm afraid, someone else with be along shortly with some good advice. I just want to ask: When you cut that pipe I bet it smelled beauuuuutiful?

I only ask because I've never touched urinal work but my tutor at the training centre who had 50 years experience in all aspects of plumbing said the worse smell in plumbing comes from a urinal waste.

The problem with urine waste is that it congeals into a horrible, smelly jelly and is extremely hard to remove. It clogs up waste pipes like a dam. With modern water saving flush systems, if the building is unoccupied for any length of time e.g holidays etc then the traps and waste pipes can block up and smell as water isn't flushing as much.
Check that the blockage hasn't moved further down the stack/soil pipe. If you can't rod it or jet it, very hot water and Fairy Liquid will dislodge it. Check that the toilet is flushing without any rise in the water bowl and check the air admittance valve (Durgo etc) is working if one is fitted. Best traps for a urinal are in my opinion bottle traps as they are easily cleaned by unscrewing the bottom section.

Finally, PLEASE WATCH YOUR HEALTH WITH URINALS! They carry really nasty diseases. Use 2 pairs of disposable latex gloves, disinfect your hands and tools after work and I always carry a few bottles of disinfectant hand gel and scrub my hands thoroughly with it.

Got a really nasty one yesterday. Stripping out sanitary ware from a public toilet block due to be demolished. Cut into urinal waste pipe, didn't know it was blocked with 10 months of stagnant pee, and it went woosh........

You must have a strong stomach system, that sounds rancid. Nothing worse than urinals, I remember years ago when the urinal blocked at work, I removed the pipe and cleaned it out. I can still taste that smell to this day right at the back of my throat.

You must have a strong stomach system, that sounds rancid. Nothing worse than urinals, I remember years ago when the urinal blocked at work, I removed the pipe and cleaned it out. I can still taste that smell to this day right at the back of my throat.

Were you the landlord? Next time a customer buys you a pint I'd fill it yourself ...

Get some "one shot" out of B&Q down it. Boom, 5 minutes clean and clear

Respect for doing this job, its about one of the most challenging.

The blockage will be all the way to the stack.

You need to find where the waste connects to the stack, cut and investigate. Usually the pipe will require replacing all the way.

ive always found the smell of urinals is very similar to that of money as in if im touching that its gonna cost you plenty

Hello Clanger

Thanks for reply. I only replaced waste pipe 2 weeks ago and the urinals only have low usage so In your opinion could it of blocked up already again or do you think there might be a problem with the waste stack backing up into the urinal waste and blocking it.

Hello Clanger

Thanks for reply. I only replaced waste pipe 2 weeks ago and the urinals only have low usage so In your opinion could it of blocked up already again or do you think there might be a problem with the waste stack backing up into the urinal waste and blocking it.
As I said earlier, the blockage is probably in the main stack, congealed urinal jelly. Have fun.
Very hot water (a lot of it) with Fairy Liquid will dissolve the pee gel.
Put a very strong disinfectant down it and bleach after clearing it.

Thanks System3 I will give it a go and report back with photos for our friends.

The pipes wont be blocked again so quick. Unless like one of the lads said earlier, 'sabotage'.

The drain is blocked (either the stack or in the grid outside)

I'd lift a manhole outside if there's one nearby to see if it's blocked.

If not, rod the stack like mention earlier.

And yes, urinals are easily the worst appliances to work on.

Even worse than Sluicemasters, Water bunnys and Mortuary chop-up tables!!!

:33:

Good one LegionellaSlave. What they Weegies flush down their loos is scary stuff!

And yes, urinals are easily the worst appliances to work on.

Even worse than Sluicemasters, Water bunnys and Mortuary chop-up tables!!!

:33:

Disagree, have done a couple of urinal waste replacements, unfortunately I don't seem to get those jobs anymore they tell me I'm too expensive :), but the worse job would have to be the jammed saniflow. Not nice at all. It was the crappiest job ever, in more ways than one.

Urinals aint a patch on Glasgows underground sewage network!

Did a job at Kinning Park sewage pumping station. What an interesting place and you would never know it was there. Hang a left off the Kinning park turn off and it is the 1st building on the left.

Hmm! Yeah Saniflows are equally horrible!

I'd only replace, not repair.

As for urinals, I've seen blocked, sagging, unsupported waste pipes dangling in false ceilings, not nice :D

Did a job at Kinning Park sewage pumping station. What an interesting place and you would never know it was there. Hang a left off the Kinning park turn off and it is the 1st building on the left.
I was on the banks of the Clyde and the sewers have large arches built into them with steel gates as the entrance to the sewers. Apart from the rats, the sewers were the worst smelling place I've ever been.
Didn't know Kinning Park had a sewage works, interesting to know.

Hello Clanger

I did a horrible job a few years ago at a skint British Legion club. Had similar problem, we replaced the pipe back to the stack (50mm) and found the boss into the stack completely solid with crystal/pube/amonia-salt combo!

The pipe (40mm) was undersized, too longer run, and walls were solid with crud. The boss on the stack was the worst affected, so we had to smash this off and replace it, upgrading the size.

A friend told me about a saniflo system he had to deal with. Due to the house design, the waste pipe from the en-suite had to go into the loft space and across the house to the soil stack on the opposite side. A rat had chewed through the pipe and a small amount of the debris had been spraying across the loft and eventually ended up as a soggy pile which brought the ceiling down. Part of the loft was literally plastered with poo.

One thing to add to this....the blue cubes that are put into urinals to keep them smelling ok can block them. I cleaned out a blockage on a urinal last month. There main bulk of the blockage was blue crud (just mashed down cubes) with some crystalised urine too.

The owner said he would tell his cleaner to go easy on the cubes. I know its been fine since, as I've now done several other jobs at the same pub.

Oh and yes, stagnant pee is horrible.

Had a call few weeks ago, customer wanted Sani flow fixed, I described I could take a look but sounded as though motor had gone.

They asked how much new one would be, when I told him he said he would call back, never heard nothing again.

Soooo dissapointed (not)

I don't offer repairs to sani flows generally but.....the last one I fixed had a blown PCB. I changed it (no poo, clean job) and it worked fine. PCB was about £40 I think. I looked at it as I had fitted it a few years earlier.

I always try to fit isolation valves to the macerator output. So you don't get a nasty backwash. Sometimes you can fit a full bore 22mm ballfix, sometimes you will need to fit a waste iso' valve. Anyone who's plumbed in a swimming pool with be familiar with those.

Means you can isolate the macerator, and simply fit another one without getting covered in yeeeerch!

I used to do work in a small hotel where someone, in their wisdom, had fitted saniflows to 8 of the 10 rooms.
I got fed up stripping them and in the end told them to get someone else.

Fitting them must be a last resort, and the costomer should be advised that one day it will fail....

Hello

I recently did a job in a 2 bowl auto flushing urinal system in a small commercial unit. The waste pipe was blocked solid with urine crystal/congealed stuff. I had to cut the pipe to get access and the replaced the waste pipe and S bends. All worked well with the urinals coping with the flush and everything draining away fine.

today I got a call that the urinals were overflowing when the cistern flushed down. The pipe is blocked again after 2 weeks. There is a WC that feeds into the same waste stack as the Urinals.

Can anyone suggest why this might be blocked again so quickly and what my best course of action is before I go back to sort out.

Any help greatfully recieved as I'm a Urinal novice just trying to help a mate out.

what is the fall on the waste? sounds like its leaving the producets behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked Urinal Waste Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I will need: install new 100mm pvc pipe work, 90-degree bend for new W/C install new 100mm pvc pipe work, 90-degree bend with new gully pot at rear of new extension for sink waste clean water pipe carry out 2 x Lead connections with a new T section No excavation needed, all is digged out.
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just installed a combination all in one WC/small basin…. Out of the fill valve there is a small tube which emits a lot of water during the refill (I believe it is known as a refill tube) and is connected directly into the overflow tube that drains into the pan, Googling suggests...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will be privately owned by individual buyers, a guy on-site pointed out that the plumbing is wrong on the properties as a perspective buyer I’d like to know...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock