Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked sink - removal of Mcalpine straight through trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amanda1812

One of my kids has put something down the plug hole of our bathroom sink but flatly denies doing so! Therefore I have no idea what it is and it is not visible.

I thought it would be a straightforward removal of u bend to remove whatever is lodged there but it's a Mcalpine straight through trap. I have managed to unscrew the fitting but how do I actually remove it?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stumped and don't want to break anything by being heavy handed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before said child leaves the tap on in the blocked sink and floods the house!

Thank you so much
Amanda

If you have a pedestal, access is the hardest thing and i'm not going to tell you how i would do it as you may break your basin so a bit of fishing may be required here.
Undo the top and bottom nuts of the trap (the top one may be a bit tight to turn)
Swing the top out enough to pull up and remove.
Give it a clean out and refit in reverse order.
Sometimes its hard to get in there but persevere and you'll get there.
Don't pay a plumber more than £80 to fix this if you need to go down that road.

Thanks tamz!

I managed to get both of the ends of the trap unscrewed but how do I swing it out? I'm scared in case I break the pipes either side?

btw loving the oor wullie avatar! :)

Jings thanks lol
The top part only sits in with a lip of less than a quarter inch. Pull it down a bit (it will move) then pull it to the back and lift it out.

Crivens, lol

Thank you so much for all your help! I'll give it ago tomorrow when the drain blocking child is at school!

Amanda :)

Pipes are not like building pianos. Just get tore into it. Plastic will bend.
I need to get to bed. I've got pensioners to rip off in the morning ;)
If you get stuck i'll be back tomorrow after pub o'clock or someone else will help.

Hahaha have a good day tomorrow/today then!

youve been a real help, I'll let you know tomorrow night if I managed to break the bendy plastic pipes!

thanks again :),

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked sink - removal of Mcalpine straight through trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock