Search the forum,

Discuss Bleed Valve Keys Won't Fit On Older Rads (Inc. Pictures) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick one. I have two different bleed keys (see photo), and neither will fit on the bleed valves of some older rads. I'm not 100 per cent sure, but I think they may fit on the square screw that turns, but it's the circular collar around the screw that's stopping the key sliding over the square end. Or is it possible that the square end of the screw is a different , larger size than normal?

Does anyone know what key I need, or possibly another way round the problem. I've drained and refilled the system, but the older rads of this type on the system are now full of air.

Attachments

• DSC00926.jpg
    DSC00926.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00929.jpg
    DSC00929.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
as above or with a file make the new key fit

Cut 1/4" off the end of the left hand key, it will fit then

I think your idea may work. Strangely, there are some of these same rads downstairs, and the left hand key only just grips the end of these bleed screws enough to turn them. So if I remove the end of key where it is bevelled in the entrance of the hole, it may grip the upstairs ones. May file the outside ridges off key too.

Presumably, the upstairs bleed screws are slightly worn because they have been used more over the years, as a result of the upstairs rads being more likely to collect air.

Last edited:
Some great suggestions above - many thanks. Although the pic makes the gap around the screw look huge, in reality, I don't think pliers will get in there. But certainly a combination of cutting down and filing the key will do it.

Thanks gents!

Stani's suggestion is the way to go. The first few mill of the keys are concave. Suppose it helps get the key on in a hurry :)

And look pig ugly to me!

as above and what happened if it doesnt seal your *-**-*--*--**-*-*-*//*/--***-/-

I have used them as a last resort if bleed is properly rounded. They don't look that bad and I've not had a problem with one sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bleed Valve Keys Won't Fit On Older Rads (Inc. Pictures) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two separate TRVs I have tried, which happen to be... Basic programmable Bluetooth one that uses a motorised push-pin. Old basic TRV with settings 0-5. On...
Replies
Views
M
Hi everyone. Really need some urgent advice on how to sort this and why this happened. Our normal plumber/gas engineer has been cleaning our heating system due to loud knocking noises the year before and after tests of water were done he used F3, then DS40 & F1 per the results, but nearing the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Background 10 year old system. Has been kept scrupulously clean. Kept very up to date with inhibitor (higher than normal concentration). Several rads have been removed, flushed and then additional inhibitor added to keep concentration high. Aladdin Self-bleed vents fitted upstairs and down (5...
Replies
Views
On a thread I started recently , cannot find which one, somebody mentioned that bleeding of the rads on an open vented system should be done with the pump off so as to not possibly draw air into the system. Do I read into this then that auto bleed valves are not a good idea on that type of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock