Search the forum,

Discuss Black Iron to copper in school? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikewt

Gas Engineer
Hi all.
Just wandering if it's OK to convert a section of black Iron to copper (about 15m) as there's a door way going in and the pipe work is in the way.
The contractor isn't bothered but im wandering if there's a good reason why it should stay black Iron. It's in offices so wont get bashed by any kids.
Thanks

Being bashed is the main reason in places like that if its exposed, i suppose in an office would be ok as long as it stays an office. Is it an academy or city run school.

Tbh I'm not exactly sure but I think it a city run as it's not got academy in the name if that means anything.

if the council run the school they will probably have specific requirements for exposed pipe and clips etc etc. I'd get in touch with somebody there just in case pal..Don't just take a contractors word for it.

Smash it in copper. Sweat fittings or use a steel crimp systems

I got a meeting with the head caretaker in the morning so hopefully he will know.
When I had the site visit with the contractor I noticed there was copper on a few sections elsewhere but only as Tees off for rads.
The section I gotta work on is 3/4 feeding about 8 rads by the looks of it.

Up size to28mm as steel has better flow rates than equivalent copper . ID just use speed fit

A caretaker wont know. If it does get knocked and floods the place your stuffed. threaded black irons piece of pysh to fit anyway.

Exactly. Easy with the right tools. Could possible do it with the bare essentials but then it wouldn't really be a proper job and it'll take far too much time I recon.

Yeah i hear ya. If you feel ok about it then go nuts. Just remember schools and public buildings (even the non public parts) do usually have the strongest materials plumbing wise if exposed.

If it's only 15m of pipe I'd go with d stronger pipe if your not sure. Sure it'll take you a little longer but you won't have to worry about some kid reefing it off d wall and flooding the place. You won't need much. Stocks and dies for your pipe size and a good bench. It's only small pipe so it'd be easy to thread by hand.
if in doubt use the stronger. It less likely to come back to haunt ye.

If it's only 15m of pipe I'd go with d stronger pipe if your not sure. Sure it'll take you a little longer but you won't have to worry about some kid reefing it off d wall and flooding the place. You won't need much. Stocks and dies for your pipe size and a good bench. It's only small pipe so it'd be easy to thread by hand.
if in doubt use the stronger. It less likely to come back to haunt ye.

Id go for that, if it's a short run thread it by hand won't take long at all and save dragging half a ton around in the van!!

Just do it in barrel. If there is only a few fittings just hire a hand threader and Ridgid Bench. If there is more than say 15 fittings get a Ridgid 300. Or i'll come do it for you. Good price.

I agree with the above, iron all the way. We do a lot in schools and you have to stick to what they want, like said if council ran and stuff like that. We had a spell where carbon steel crimped was used but now we can't, just threaded steel all the way. Also i no you said it was an office so kids can't use it as a climbing frame but if its anything like the schools i work in the rooms swop and change all the time. But then again if you don't do a lot of it you'll have to get the right gear to do the job but be worth it.

for a small amount id use an electric hand held machine but you still need a bench with a vice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Black Iron to copper in school? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors. The waste stack is internal and bricked into corner of the bathroom. I noticed paint peeling and brown staining recently at the bottom near the...
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've only just registered on this forum and hope there is someone out there that can help. I've just dismantled an old kitchen in our house ready for a new one to be installed. In the process, i unearthed a stopcock connected to the incoming water supply pipe which comes up in the middle of...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point having them empty. I was practically born in that flat but no point being sentimental if I'm not intending to stay in Italy (except as a Brexit...
Replies
Views
H
Hi I wonder if anyone can help please. I'm building a new small house and propose to install a natural gas kiln in an outbuilding. The new house house will probably have a combi boiler 24-28kw & gas cooker hob (say 8kw). I have no technical information of my kiln [25 yrs old] - manufacturer...
Replies
Views
Hotwork40
H
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock