Search the forum,

Discuss Biomass heating systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GREENCALOR

Could anyone tell me what is the situation of Pellet stoves and boilers in UK? Are they used? what are the main brands?

Thanks in advance

Why? there is not market enough?? are the products too much expensive??

too expensive, its not as grren as youd think, your supposed to buy local wood but cant as its crap and turns to dust (apparantley ) so ship it from denmark ( there again goes the green part) youll need a bloody great hopper plus possible feed machine to load pellets from hopper to boiler then have to clean it out weekely at least if not pay huge expense for a self cleaner,

shall I go on?

You have to import the petrol too. At least, burning pellet doesn´t contribute to incerase co2 levels.

How much is the pellet?

I have came across one on a commercial build, which had 3 boilers aswell as the biomass boiler for the heating, and 2 gas fired unvented cylinders for the hot water.

That's a good solution. But the use of pellet stoves as a complement for the living room is a good option frequently underestimated.

Balcas, Land Energy and Puffin Pellets are examples of UK suppliers with large manufacturing capability. The trouble with pellet boilers is when people disregard the boiler manufacturer's recommended pellets and end up with pellets that disintegrate, turn to dust and jam up the boiler feed systems. Other issues include moisture ingress which turns the pellets to concrete or mush if the fuel stores are poorly designed. Pellets can be delivered in bulk (ton bags) or by the sack, or large bulk deliveries by the tanker load, depends on your needs.
Cheers
Dave

Balcas, Land Energy and Puffin Pellets are examples of UK suppliers with large manufacturing capability. The trouble with pellet boilers is when people disregard the boiler manufacturer's recommended pellets and end up with pellets that disintegrate, turn to dust and jam up the boiler feed systems. Other issues include moisture ingress which turns the pellets to concrete or mush if the fuel stores are poorly designed. Pellets can be delivered in bulk (ton bags) or by the sack, or large bulk deliveries by the tanker load, depends on your needs.
Cheers
Dave

What do you think of land energys pellets. Which do you rather?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have direct experience of Land Energy but I know they are expanding production with a new site in Ayrshire. I have experience of Balcas and been involved in tendering wood fuels for various biomass installations in my previous work including chip and pellet fuels. Most manufacturers will be happy to send you a sample of their pellets if requested.
Sorry I can't be more specific on Land Energy.
Regards
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Biomass heating systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

K
We have a dual heating system, a solid fuel stove with back boiler and a external kerosene heater. The kerosene heater is working fine heating the radiators and the water for the taps The solid fuel stove will heat the water for the taps but the radiators will only get luke warm. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
J
I'm building a new house and I have no idea what option to chose for heating/hot water! I've looked at biomass/pellet boilers, electric combi boilers, air source heat pumps and solar panels(combined with an electric boiler) After doing a lot of research (and not understanding some of the...
Replies
Views
Is it possible to install a wood burning stove with an air to water heat pump? I was speaking to a few plumbers who have said this is not possible as the air to water system is a pressurized system and the stove needs to be in a vented system.
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate tank. There is a thermostat on this second tank that pushes hot water over to the store tank when it's hot. It's a closed loop and goes through a heat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock