Search the forum,

Discuss Best Way To Unstuck TRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So as I'm going to be doing over a hundred of these next week, I was wondering what you guys think is the best way to do this. Not looking for a short term fix, really after what works well longer term. Replacing them all isn't really an option that's desirable if it can be avoided as it's on a massive commercial system in an older adults hospital so we can't have heating off for any length of time (even sections of it).

Normally I spray some PTFE lubricant onto the pin then exercise it loads. I then bang in more PTFE lubricant for good luck and do it a bit longer :)

Any better products people use or better solutions? Exercising the pin without some sort of lubricant in there rarely makes them work more than a couple of weeks in my experience.

At present this hospital has windows open as about 90% of the radiators are stuck full on :/

Nothing long term other than replace. Giving them a tap and a wiggle has only been a temp fix just to get somebody away.

Wondered whether lubricating them would help longer term. One person I spoke to suggested high temperature grease worked into the pin works wonders?

Should add that the TRVs have remote sensors due to radiator covers so would very quickly get expensive to replace in terms of labour and time!

Last edited:
Old danfoss ones croft ?

TBH haven't taken covers off to look at them yet. The ones I did on Friday in another building are though. Any chance of a photo of the ones you mean? The idea of replacing over 100 of them fills me with horrible thoughts..

Can't believe there's not a decent solution out there to inject a grease into them rather than throwing them away. For commercial properties this is a sizeable repair bill every year!

Last edited:
I know the older Danfoss TRVs can be fixed easy and I reckon Danfoss also supply parts for their more recent valves. You will have the easiest job if they are Danfoss. I will get a link now

Will take a look and photograph one tomorrow and see what we can do with it. Am looking at so called intelligent TRVs but none seem to work with a capillary tube running from the control on the side of the panel to the head on the pipework.

Will take a look and photograph one tomorrow and see what we can do with it. Am looking at so called intelligent TRVs but none seem to work with a capillary tube running from the control on the side of the panel to the head on the pipework.

You mean separate head trvs ?

Yup, not the ones with the sensors on the wall. Ones designed for radiator covers where the head is on the cover itself and there's a capillary wire between head and actuator.

Yea normally left or right on the side

That's it.

danfoss do them as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Way To Unstuck TRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock