Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to clean tarnished copper fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Goodenough

Esteemed
Plumber
I've a load of copper fittings, both end-feed and solder-ring that are tarnished.

What's the quickest and best way to clean them without wire-wooling individually?

I've a load of copper fittings, both end-feed and solder-ring that are tarnished.

What's the quickest and best way to clean them without wire-wooling individually?

I prefer Scotchbrite over wire-wool.

In the past I remember people using a jug of cola (Pepsi IIRC) to clean a batch. I think this worked because it contains phosphoric acid.

Emery cloth is also excellent for heavily tarnished old copper pipe or very dirty fittings, especially the Yorkshire type than can have a varnish like finish inside them. Still means doing individual fittings though.
Am sure there are chemicals that fittings could just be soaked in for a few seconds, then carefully rinsed, but hazardous for skin and eyes.

Vinegar (dilute?) cleans up tarnished brass well. Would imagine it might work on copper. Worth a go?

Vinegar and salt, I suspect you'll need to scotch off the worst of it still and neutralise the fittings by washing with sodium bicarb solution to stop them from rotting.

Wire wool and then solder the fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best way to clean tarnished copper fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators. He's laid fresh copper pipe, however around the joints they are all green which I believe is flux residue he hasn't cleaned up after soldering. Not the cleanest of jobs but I'm not too...
Replies
Views
M
I’m fitting an over head shower to an en-suite that I’m about to tile, I’m Struggling thinking about how to get the fittings flush to the tiles from the copper feed behind the boarding. Anyone any experience on the best way to sort this out? Cheers
Replies
Views
Matt Harvey
M
Hi Can anyone advise how the copper push fit connectors work? Is it a matter of just pushing in the pipe until it goes in as far as it can and are these connectors suitable for water and gas? Also I see that there is a special tool to release the connector if you get it wrong or not quite...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock