Search the forum,

Discuss best water leak detection equipment. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

strandsman

Hi Guys' I'm thinking of getting into the water leak detection business, What leak detection equipment you would recommend? And training etc.
Thanks.

Lol ur thinking of going into this as a business HOWEVER your asking others whats the best?!

Shouldnt YOU be advising us not the other way round? Haha

I wouldnt get into anything by myself if i didnt have a clue about anything. All will just end in disaster, save your money

Do a 6 week plumbing course you will have loads of leaks, equipment how about ur fingers?

sent from my annoying box

can i say tissue paper ? good water leak detection
Can i say I prefer the blue hand towels for this.
or..use your fingers, then shine them to a light (works better if your hands are dusty)

the guys asking a question lads, be polite to our new members.

a metal rod with a cork on the end works..
failing that the water board.

Welcome strandsman ,
a few more details of where the leaks are would help .

ie inside House / building , or outside under soil / concrete

Cheap techniques do exist for some situations !

Sorry redsaw, just trying to advise him if he has no experience in the field and he plans on creating a buisness doing that. How would he succeed without ANY experience?
Best if he didnt waste ÂŁ1000's, and put it to something that he could make money and support his family :)

I want to be able to pin point the leak instead of digging up areas searching for it i.e tiled floors, conc floors, foot paths etc.

...I was gonna reply with something half sensible.........then saw your location.......:)

calm down fella, call me old school, or even old fashioned, and these days probably totally politically incorrect...(mad though it all is.. !!)
..but I have to be honest, when I read that an Irish plumber was on the UKPlumbers forum asking for the best tools to find leaks......I nearly choked on me porridge, honest, I cracked up. No offence intended mate so don't take any :)

calm down fella, call me old school, or even old fashioned, and these days probably totally politically incorrect...(mad though it all is.. !!)
..but I have to be honest, when I read that an Irish plumber was on the UKPlumbers forum asking for the best tools to find leaks......I nearly choked on me porridge, honest, I cracked up. No offence intended mate so don't take any :)

Lol at this. Cant believe a 'plumber' is asking this questions though? Surely if hes a plumber he would know how and whats good for leaks?

They've got some lovely tech for exploring human plumbing , but nothing affordable that can navigate copper pipes and joints , without getting stuck .

Some utrasonic stuff for compressed air leaks !

some sites have trace wires along the pipes to detect leaks, I worked in a data hall that contained mainframe computers (very sensitive to dust and water) that stored a lot of important data. All our pipes had these wires fitted to them.

I had a client who had had a team in with a thermal imaging system, they came to the conclusion that there was no damp despite the walls being wet to the touch and when we drilled some homes damp earth coming out of the 'void'. I'd love to hear if you find a system that works.

Not very sensitive then? Cold water would be a different temperature to studs and plasterboard.

I was told by an old hand that the listening stick will detect a dripping ball valve from the outside stop tap. Place called aqua-check sells them.

ears and a couple of tools to smash up the place thats all I need lol

have previously traced a two year old leak with a damp meter just kept probing till we found the dampest patch.

and now wait for the childish comments about a damp patch................................(make em good)

Acoustic testing, tracer gas and thermal imaging are the commonly used techniques nowadays. At the minute I am doing a degree in building surveying and this is the area of study for my dissertation

Last edited by a moderator:
Acoustic testing, tracer gas and thermal imaging are the commonly used techniques nowadays. At the minute I am doing a degree in building surveying and this is the area of study for my dissertation

Are you documenting how it's actually done due to cost constraints or how mfrs tell you their equipment should be used ? Domestic is a very different market to commercial, as I'm sure u will already understand. Where are u studying?

Hi ermitrude, I'm looking at the manufacturers guidance but also trying to organise a few companies who I can shadow to see the methods in action. I'm trying to establish what is the best method and whether the newer methods are any better than the established plumber led approach such as pressure testing or gut instinct. I'm studying through the college of estate management at reading university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best water leak detection equipment. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock