Search the forum,

Discuss Best MAPP Blowtorch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Looking at buying a MAPP blowtorch to help with soldering 28mm+ copper pipework. I had 2 questions: -

1. Is there a big difference in performance between MAPP and Propane?

2. I've read that MAPP gas is carcinogenic, which would obviously put me off buying a MAPP blowtorch. Is there any truth in this?

If you get a rothenberger superfire you can use it on Mapp and propane. I find I can do 28mm fine with propane, I only need to break out the mapp if there is water in the pipes or 35mm or above.

Mike

Hi Cr0ft,

As Mike has said, get a head that can be used for both Propane and Mapp. I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 (identical to the Rothenberger and only £42 from Screwfix) and it's worked fine on 28mm and doesn't seem to struggle too much if the pipes are wet.

Mark

Most things in life seem to be carcinogenic if you have them in large enough quantities. I would doubt that MAPP gas is more dangerous than flux which most of handle without a second thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best MAPP Blowtorch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone. I'm installing a walk in shower, opening into shower will be on right, mixer value on right, but shower head and drain on left. The pipe work from the shower mixer valve is exposed silver colour pipework. the pipe work will run up from the valve then take a hard left at the ceiling...
Replies
Views
B
Hi there, Have bought an old house and am having the old lead water mains pipe replaced and a new stopcock location/piping installed after massively high readings from water testing by the water company. Also buying new plastic water tank to start afresh so to speak. Pipework/joinery looks to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
I have a lead water pipe that needs to be capped off. I have dug down and found where the pipe tees off to my property. I have a Flomasta Lead to copper adaptor (15mm x 1") pipe is between 24 and 25mm diameter. A small piece of copper pipe and a 15mm soldered stop end. My plumber said...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock