Best knee pads

Discussion in 'Plumbing Tools' started by plumb_know, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Best knee pads in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. plumb_know

plumb_know Plumber

i was wondering if any one could recommend a quality pair of knee pads, as the company i work for only provide rubbish thin foam ones, so i went and bought some gel ones from b and q but these are still not providing sufficient support.

suggestions would be great :)

2. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

I was going to recommend gel ones but you don't seem to think they're any good, what exactly don't you like about them?

3. gavinwilson

gavinwilson Plumber

skateboarding/paint balling type knee pads? thats what i use

4. plumb_know

plumb_know Plumber

the gels i have are ok but was just wondering if there was anything better or if there was a particular make of gel pads that any one would recommend

• Like Like x 1
  5. gavinwilson

gavinwilson Plumber

my old man who was an asphalter used to make his own out of car tyres probably why his knees are knackered now lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr Doberman

Mr Doberman Guest

• Like Like x 4
  7. johnnyplumb

johnnyplumb Plumber GSR

i use these snickers kneepads Snickers Non-Slip Knee Pads Pair | Screwfix.com

there not the cheapest, but i have'nt found anything better.
    the redbacks shown above are also good kneepads, but i found them a shade on the heavy side.

8. SimonG

SimonG Plumber Top Contributor!!

I use the snickers pads in the trousers, nice and comfy and in the right place. Had a pair of Irwin gel ones that were really comfy for 15 minutes and then the fastenings would dig into the back of my knees.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Barry98

Barry98 Guest

Can't do with the strap on ones , I like the ones that fit in the pockets

• Like Like x 2
  10. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

You lot need to get off your knees and get some work done! :hand:

• Like Like x 1
  11. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

i've get some strap on kneepads somewhere in the shed. same problem as others the straps dig in.

12. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

Two nappies tucked into the knee slot of your work trousers. The tabs don't slip. Plus if you use Pampers and you kneel on a wet floor, no problem.

If it's good enough for my daughters bum, it's good enough for me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Phil

Phil Plumber

Strap on for me everytime.

14. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

if you say so lol takes all sorts

• Like Like x 7
  15. Masood

Masood Guest

We're on our knees praying that our flexies don't leak...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Destroyer2813

Destroyer2813 Plumber GSR

I use the irwin strap on ones but dont use the strap either leave them in the pad or cut the tabs off

17. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

Oh the images that are flying through my head at that one..

• Like Like x 2
  18. Destroyer2813

Destroyer2813 Plumber GSR

You disterbed man Col

• Like Like x 1
  19. plumb_know

plumb_know Plumber

cheers for all the replies, i will give those redbacks ago i think

20. GrahamM

GrahamM Plumber GSR

Those redbacks look the business. Just ordered a pair.
    Been using the snickers ones for last few years, but the foam compresses and gives less cushioning after a while, so I am buying new pair every few months.

Cheers for link Mr D.

21. masterofnone

masterofnone Guest

I've been using snickers floor laying kneepads for 2 years now, same pair and still like new. You can leave them in your trousers when washed and are like kneeling on air. The best £20 I ever spent as I spend half my time tiling floors.

• Like Like x 1
  22. barronbathrooms

barronbathrooms Guest

Been using red backs for the last 2 months my knees feel like new. I should be on commission put all the lads onto them! Tile trader sell them sent out next day!

23. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

Agree Snickers floorlayers knee pads

24. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

Just ordered some redbacks, they do look good.

25. Rob Sale

Rob Sale Plumber GSR

Thats what my MRS says to me. lol:wink5:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

Quick review on the redbacks, been using them for a few days now, Not as soft as some but comfortable, I find they feel a little thick though I’m sure I’ll get used to them. It's a shame they don't make a kneeling mat also as would probably be good. 4/5 recomended

• Like Like x 1
  27. Barry98

Barry98 Guest

Same as you roger I've had mine about a week now , bit bulky bit heavy had to tighten the belt to hold them up. But great on the knees , see how long they last

• Like Like x 1
  28. rawr

rawr Guest

I can't wait to get me some floorlayer trousers and pads

29. lame plumber

lame plumber Plumber GSR

the best knee pads are the ones the apprentice is using, saves on my own knees. Have to say this having been off work for several weeks with back/leg pain that was so acute me and the ambulance crews were on first name terms after 4 trips to A&E, and v large doses of morphine and entonox to cheer me up. Eventually after a very long needle in the hip ( they use the same needle for wide thighed woman as skinny plumbers) and yes it hurt pushing in all that cortisone, the leg no works a bit. Now after a visit to the consultant it's another smaller needle to the knee and maybe I can start installing systems again rather than only being able to repair wall mounted boilers!!!!!!!

So to all of you out there, only 52 and they knees and hips are failing badly, moral don't play rugby, avoid joining the army or navy it hurts to much, I dont think the raf do anything too strenuous though, spend to much time on the floor on your knees unless working for a living (think about that one), dont lift 2 cement bags at once, it blows your cartilage very quickly, and always have apprentice or if you cann't afford one the very best knee pads available, they are replacable your knees arent

• Like Like x 2
  30. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Now we know why you have started posting on here !!! & why name is lame. LOL

31. Mr Doberman

Mr Doberman Guest

If anyone wants a chance of winning a pair of Redbacks and you are a member of the Tiling forums then head over and join in...no swearing or abuse please
    [DLMURL="http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/tiling-tools/67381-game-3-free-redback-knee-pads.html"]Game 3 Free Redback Knee pads | Tiling Forum | Tilers Forum[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  32. Zippymark

Zippymark GSR

I can second the Redbacks. They don't look like they will be comfortable at all but they are, and good support. I've dislocated my knee before, so don't really like kneeling on it at all but with these it is fine. They are a little on the heavy side i suppose

33. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Snickers floor layers rip like a paper bag. Knee pads are brilliant but the pants ur supposed to buy cost a bomb and rip really easy. The rip stop just means instead of a flap you end up with a silt from arse to ankle.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Gray0689

Rubbish
    wear them all time and best by far

35. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Small tear caused by a boiler casing when removing old boiler last week. I bought 2 pairs about July 13. Last pair now in need of repair. The old heavy gauge ones are much better but now buying Strauss direct pants and snickers knee pads. [​IMG]

36. Gray0689

There not the floorlayers trousers
    I only wear the old 5223

• Like Like x 1
  37. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  38. Gray0689

New improved design is crap need old 5223 hard to get but still available if your persistent with searching

39. plumb_know

plumb_know Plumber

I got the redbacks in the end, they are so much better than those foam ones employers give you. Only thing I would suggest is if they had a small gel pad where your knees rest on the inside to make it a bit more comfortable when kneeling for long periods. As after a while you start to feel the hexagon shapes they are made out of bedding into your knees a little. But still the best knee pads I have used so far. £18 of amazon and seem like they will last the year.

40. WHPES

WHPES Trusted Plumber GSR

Gave up on kneepads and bought a gel kneeling mat. Not cheap but by far more comfortable and you can also use it to sit on when working in cramped conditions.

41. Howsie

Howsie Plumber

Never had an issue before but after this housemaids knee crap I'm sawing them off next time.

[​IMG]

42. tamz

tamz Guest

I once worked with a guy who got that housemaids knee.
    He's not here now :sad:

43. tamz

tamz Guest

Looks sore btw

44. Howsie

Howsie Plumber

Apart from the 2nd degree burns I once had. Nothing more painful.

Too much church I told the doc but she didn't believe me...

• Like Like x 2
  45. WHPES

WHPES Trusted Plumber GSR

I had that happen to me last year but it was after a fall playing squash.

46. gastec

gastec Plumber GSR

I have been using Redbacks for over a year now and my knee pain has gone since using them. I got through loads of other types of knee pads, Redbacks don't seem to wear out.

47. pipefitter

pipefitter GSR

snickers 9118 ,they are the best I've tried

48. Gray0689

+1 best

49. Koogatubac

Koogatubac Plumber GSR

Just ordered those new snickers kneepads. My snickers 9118 are goosed after 2 years

50. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

just ordered a set of redbacks