Search the forum,

Discuss Best jointing compound ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening peeps,

Which compound would you go for ? Boss white ? Plumb centres jet blue or fernox ? Whats the difference between blue fernox tin and yellow ?

Cheers

Does Loctite 55 come into this - I couldn't believe how good it is when I first used it...

Incredibly strong, have you ever tried to 'snap' it like you can PTFE tape?? Cut's your fingers off first. :oops:

Does Loctite 55 come into this - I couldn't believe how good it is when I first used it...

Incredibly strong, have you ever tried to 'snap' it like you can PTFE tape?? Cut's your fingers off first. :oops:

You could tow a car with it lol

The same one that I answered the first, second, third, fourth time etc......... the same question was asked.

Could be worth using the search function on the forum give you an idea when loads of people used to be on here.

Not Boss White, except on heating male/female taped threads.
It will seal well, but it hardens (including in the tub) and it ain't potable.
As above, do a search as loads of old posts were done in old forum

Not Boss White, except on heating male/female taped threads.
It will seal well, but it hardens (including in the tub) and it ain't potable.
As above, do a search as loads of old posts were done in old forum

Thought it was just me. Used to get half way through tub of BW, then it went hard. Gave up on it. Fernox seems better.

Yes, I still have some linseed oil.
It revitalises ordinary Boss White, as I think it is an ingredient of it.
But I really am fed up with Boss White hardening since it started to come in the plastic tubs, rather than the metal tins, which might explain why the Fernox paste from metal tins is better.

Yes, I still have some linseed oil.
It revitalises ordinary Boss White, as I think it is an ingredient of it.
But I really am fed up with Boss White hardening since it started to come in the plastic tubs, rather than the metal tins, which might explain why the Fernox paste from metal tins is better.

Do you mix it from new as mine normally sits on the shelf for 6 months and it's fine all the way through

Do you mix it from new as mine normally sits on the shelf for 6 months and it's fine all the way through

Long time since I ever put linseed oil into Boss White, Shaun.
Tbh, I don't need Boss White much now because I use V2 paste nowadays on compression and male and female joints and only need Boss White for some situations. So it tends to lie unused for long periods.
Every tub I buy has a hardened skin on top of it

Long time since I ever put linseed oil into Boss White, Shaun.
Tbh, I don't need Boss White much now because I use V2 paste nowadays on compression and male and female joints and only need Boss White for some situations. So it tends to lie unused for long periods.
Every tub I buy has a hardened skin on top of it

Yea peal the skin off and give it a good mix good as new

Yea peal the skin off and give it a good mix good as new

Still gets a crazed and hard skin eventually, - a bit like the top of a creme brulee. :)
Guess I can't expect it to last months in good condition.
That is one reason I prefer the non hardening V2 stuff. But Boss White is superb for sealing threaded joints on heating systems

Many years ago, we had a weep on a threaded barrel joint and one of the plumbers working with me got a piece of slate and tapped it into the screwed fitting and that sorted it... I was impressed, I think he learnt it from his dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best jointing compound ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but donā€™t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock