Search the forum,

Discuss best drain down procedure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrianfs1

hi guys, has anyone got any time saving tips for replacing a rad and valves on combi system

nothing more than dropping the pressure and working on one pipe at a time. cant really do anymore than that

easyer on a rad upstairs, blow off the pressure on the prv on the boiler, turn off the rad valves on both sides, drain the rad into a thick binliner/use a wet vac to suck it up under the union. undo the bottom nut Be brave snatch it, shoot dirty water up the curtain etc, putt your thumb over the open pipe until it makes a circular cut into the skin of your thumb and bleeds, take a few deep breaths, put on the new valve shooting more black gunk up the laura ashley wallpaper and making sure the biege carpet gets wet around the valve, tighten, refill the rad.
Btw gas leak detection fluid in a pressurised can makes excellent carpet stain remover, not the luminous pink/green stuff though.

blow off the pressure on the prv on the boiler, QUOTE]

Not good to release pressure through prv as 70 % of time will not re seal,end up having to fit new head or complete valve :(
Alot of plumbers try to rush draining,to get on with job,but what do you save on an average system 10-15 mins,which is lost cleaning up afterwards,like carpet ;)
If I have to drain a system,thats the first thing I do,tools on job and drain,then when draining,get rad,valves any fittings,unpack,tape up threads by that time draining nearly done,if not done

If not open prv,ect :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Not good to release pressure through prv as 70 % of time will not re seal,end up having to fit new head or complete valve :(

Yeah fair play to you Puddle ,this happened last time I did this when I changed the pump on a 7yr old WB combi when I changed the pump, I spent over an hour trying to sort it at 7pm on a friday.
I will be more likely to try blowing off the prv as a "pro" as Ive got more of a chance of sorting it if it goes wrong.
The rest of my post was more light hearted.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best drain down procedure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock