Search the forum,

Discuss Best drain down hose - what do you use? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jim Goodenough

Esteemed
Plumber
Please advise on which hose you use to drain down with?

what about the
Dickie Dyer 991866 Drain Down Hose Kit 4pc 10m 11.092
natural rubber

anybody used one? does it crack up being natural rubber

I bought an expensive FITT hose from Screwfix (this one, I think: Fitt 30m Heavy Braided NTS Wintech Hose ). Very good. Almost impossible to kink but soft enough to go onto draw-off cocks.

Can't understand why you would spend the money on a non-reinforced rubber hose that explodes under mains pressure and collapses under vacuum when this works well both as a drain off and under pressure! Perhaps someone can explain?

upload_2018-4-18_16-10-34.jpeg

Powerflush/magnacleanse hose

Same stuff but there's a place not far away that manufactures it. I bought 1/2" and 3/8" hoses for draining and siphoning off. I also bought some 1 1/4" for something else.
I have had them for Donkeys Years now. They have got shorter by 2" every so often as I sometimes cut bits off when the ends split. I use those hoses because I can see through them and they seldom kink.

There you go, an in depth report on the hoses used by Last Plumber on a day to day basis.

Same stuff but there's a place not far away that manufactures it. I bought 1/2" and 3/8" hoses for draining and siphoning off. I also bought some 1 1/4" for something else.
I have had them for Donkeys Years now. They have got shorter by 2" every so often as I sometimes cut bits off when the ends split. I use those hoses because I can see through them and they seldom kink.

There you go, an in depth report on the hoses used by Last Plumber on a day to day basis.

Purge ?

I got one of the orange rubber ones that have already been posted, it cost about £25 but i'm so glad i did, i spent so long unravelling the garden hose i had and trying to un kink it. Also it's bendier so lays flatter and drains down easier.

You need to spend good money to get a good hose. Those rubber ones are decent but short. I brought 50m of hozlock garden hose there top of the range anti Knick and cut it into 4 lengths. Longest only used to drain tanks and cylinder. Had it for 10 years plus, still in great condition.

It would certainly save having to try to use the ballcock as a means of filling the hose and getting the siphon going. Nothing quite so satisfying as siphoning out the crud from a cistern.

£18 for a one-way valve does seem a lot, but in the scheme of things...

I look forward to hearing how well this works.

Hi Shaun, been away for a while sorry...

It works exactly as claimed by the manufacturer/company. I've used it a few times now and it's now a permanent part of my kit. Had to squeeze it onto a length of hose by warming the hose with boiling water which gave it a nice tight fit. No idea how much they are but they're pretty basic in design and build, almost on the side of quite cheap looking but it does the job and it does it well. I highly recommend - no more sucking the end of a dirty hose for me.

Get one, seriously.

In the market myself for a new hose.
Looking for something multifunctional and have taken on board the comments about the rubber drain down hose not being suitable for filling/washing down (higher pressure). So, one of the stronger anti-kink hozelocks might fit the bill? Like the idea of buying the 50m one and then cutting it down to various lengths for different purposes/ranges... A bundgy cord is always useful to keep it in a tidy coil.
The syphon sucker looks good too... Christ knows what I've ingested over the years from pulling on a hose, but prolly not much worse than the ****/bottles of plonk/solder/insulation/dust/tools held in mouth/spray from drains etc :confused:;)

I'm just sick to death of trying to unkink and open up the cheapo hoses my local trade counter knocks out :mad::rolleyes:

Reply to Best drain down hose - what do you use? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock