Search the forum,

Discuss Best Boiler Plus Compliant controls For A landlord That Doesn't Want To spend Any money? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

As above, got to fit a combi for a landlord, he's supplying the boiler so it will probably be the cheapest he can find!
So what's the simplest and most cost effective way of complying with the new regs?

Nest room stat or any load comp stat

• From April, the new Boiler Plus legislation, which is part of the Heat In Buildings policy, will mean that new gas-fi red combi boiler replacement installations in England must be installed with either a smart, load or weather compensation control or a flue gas heat recovery unit. Rest assured,

• Combi boiler replacements must have a minimum efficiency of 92% ErP

However, homeowners and installers must then select from four different energy-saving measures to work alongside this:

• Load compensation control
  • Weather compensation control
  • Smart thermostat with automation and optimisation
  • Flue gas heat recovery unit with a time and temperature control
from worcesters site i think you only need one of the items to What Is Boiler Plus | Logic4training Blog

But still don't require trvs on rads

Thing is whatever the landlord buys it will have to conform to the new regs, if not ! Don't fit it,

We have had similar issues over here.

It's not about efficiency of the system - it's about efficiency of the appliance and / or efficiency of the appliance servicing the system.

I could go into specifics, but I believe it is manufacturer driven to give greenie pen pushers a purpose.

Would you actually fit a boiler bought by a cheapskate?

Yes, at the end of the day work is work ! still charge the same labour rate, Just any problems with boiler is a chargeable call customers problem, And lets be honest you cant make a large mark up on boiler or anything these days customer has usely checked out prices B4 you get there, So I'm happy to fit whatever customer wants to supply as long as you point out any problems will impose extra costs.

At the end of the day and if **** hits the fan, you will be held accountable and liable.
The Landlord will state that he employed you to install a boiler, that he supplied, and expected you to install it to regulations.

There is no way the landlord would state that he informed you to do an installation that doesn't comply with regulations.
He's not expected to know the regs - but you are

Work is work, if the boiler fits wear it ;-) I have been using load compensation because the old folks like the fit and forget aspect and its a cheap compliance, the Viesmann range also come with built in weather compensation and a free sensor, Baxi which is probably something like your landlord will want to buy, have an easy install weather comp which is cheap. Faliure to comply with boiler plus is a breach of building regs, which you as the installer having completed the sign off would be liable for.

What if, hypothetically, you had a zone valve and stat for each room? Personally, I find TRVs are crap in many ways. I do fit them as a cheap and cheerful upgrade on manual valves, but I would rarely consider them to be the ideal solution.

That would possibly come under the remit of smart controls if they were controlled individually, but you can already get electronicly operated trvs like the evo home system.

What if, hypothetically, you had a zone valve and stat for each room? Personally, I find TRVs are crap in many ways. I do fit them as a cheap and cheerful upgrade on manual valves, but I would rarely consider them to be the ideal solution.

You could do that but would be more expensive than evo home

You can fit a neomitis room smart stat cheap as chips.
One of the vokera boilers has a small link in it aparently that if you disconnect becomes boiler plus complient.
As for build regs my mate does that for a living and has he said to me.
To busy to bother with that ' she it '!!!

@Ric2013 @gmartine

All new boilers need to have 92% erp on their space heating output.

IE - heat only and system need to be 92% erp, Combi needs to be 92% erp on central heating only.

You won’t be able to buy a boiler with less than this, (unless very old stock?!) so this part is done for you. The flow chart just refers to controls.

Combi boilers are invariably hugely over sized on their central heating output for the property they are installed in, 24 - 30kw, which could rightfully be installed in a flat! So load comp alone makes sense

Stu

Last edited:
@Ric2013 @gmartine

All new boilers need to have 92% erp on their space heating output.

IE - heat only and system need to be 92% erp, Combi needs to be 92% erp on central heating only.

You won’t be able to buy a boiler with less than this, (unless very old stock?!) so this part is done for you. The flow chart just refers to controls.

Combi boilers are invariably hugely over sized on their central heating output for the property they are installed in, 24 - 30kw, which could rightfully be installed in a flat! So load comp alone makes sense

Stu

And quite a lot have the flue recovery system built in !

I think what they haven't quite thought through with this is these controls only help if they're used properly. Most of my work is for landlords in East London and i can guarantee no tenant will even begin to understand how these are supposed to work, the vas majority just turn the heating on and off with the roomstat like a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Boiler Plus Compliant controls For A landlord That Doesn't Want To spend Any money? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock