Search the forum,

Discuss bending 15mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Jimpson

Can't find a thread that had covered this already probably because it's a stupid question but here goes, I used a internal bending spring to bend some 15mm copper pipe to a 90 degree angle.

One bend went ok but then next has ripples on the inside of the bend, it hasn't kinked but one ripple is fairly big. My question is will this be an issue in future or am I being OCD worry about nothing

It's a hot water feed to the shower, the pipe runs in floor cavity and the 90 bend takes it up into a stud wall, the shower will sit over this so it won't be accessible in future

Is the ripply bend Ok or should I replace it?

Advice would be much appreciated thanks

If this answers your question, - I have seen plenty of pipes with dents & ripples that have been in for years - even the modern thin copper pipes of today.
I personally wouldn't fit a pipe that is holding water if it ripples, because that can be a crease & a weakness on the pipe. I would prefer a decent bender is used on pipes (good quality hand bender will do fine). If I get an occasional tiny dent on a bend, I cut that bend off for scrap & start again. I want my work to both last well & look well, even below the floors.
I would consider using soldered elbows, which are better in areas where bends done on a bender would snag on the floor & studs when coming up through. But soldered joints need to be done properly.

You should be ok if it's a one off and rippled only and not creased.
Youve possibly tried to accomplish too tight a radius.

It just adds to resistance in the pipework which with one bend youd be ok. If you had 50 bends like that it would have an effect on flow
Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bending 15mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock