What bender do you use for the 54mm?

a bloody big one i couldn't imagine bending 28mm

over your knee :D

and you havent lived if you havent bent over 22mm

mies a 3rd gen passed down one of the original records/hilmors

pic below

COPPER_TRIPOD_BENDER_15mm_to_35mm.jpg

Last edited:
Tubela 15-54mm Ratchet Assisted Copper Bender mebbe?
Makes life easy.

I've bent fridge copper up to 1 5/8" in an A frame. Heavy guage copper too.
Thats about 42mm.

Sometimes we would use a forklift to hold the A frame down.

Last edited by a moderator:
At collage we were always told to pull bends especially in cold water mains to reduce noise in pipework.
That was mid 80s, not sure what collages recommend nowadays.

I had an apprentice before pulling bends then cutting them to size. I collected up all the bits he cut off and after 2 days he had about 2 metres of 22mm and 3m of 15mm in scrap. So I charged him for it. He soon learnt to watch properly as £15 on a £80 week wage stung him.

I had an apprentice before pulling bends then cutting them to size. I collected up all the bits he cut off and after 2 days he had about 2 metres of 22mm and 3m of 15mm in scrap. So I charged him for it. He soon learnt to watch properly as £15 on a £80 week wage stung him.

thats why they use elbows im not that harsh as the bits that get cut off get used for something else eg shot pieces after stop cocks from drains etc, but get the point

In the above situation, horizontal run to rad. I would bend in horizontal plane, maybe not a full 90 degree, and come vertical into valve with elbow. That way I've less chance of setting skirting on fire.
That's my preferred way as well
Although some local authority instals I did 10/12 yrs back insisted on no formed bends at all, every change of direction had to be with a fitting
Although I was a bit of a rebel at the time and put a couple of sets under the floor boards:2guns:

Tubela 15-54mm Ratchet Assisted Copper Bender mebbe?
Makes life easy.

I've bent fridge copper up to 1 5/8" in an A frame. Heavy guage copper too.
Thats about 42mm.

Sometimes we would use a forklift to hold the A frame down.

I've used hydraulic benders up to 2" iron. When I was a lad (!!!) the fitter who was old skool had to bend some 3" so he got a load of sand, packed the piece of pipe with it and capped the ends, then gave it some serious heat for ages until it was glowing in the middle and bent it with a set of 4ft Stilsons. Not seen it done since!

i would have used an elbow on the right hand external corner and again round the pipe on the left and bent the rest. two couplings either side of a offset looks wrong

Same ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bend it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock