Search the forum,

Discuss Been offered an interview in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been offered an interview on Wednesday for a multi-skilled craftsman job with the NHS. £28k a year plus work van tools etc of course and the pension. I know the wage isn't brilliant for an electrician/gas engineer but there are genuine opportunities to progress into management within a year or two on a much higher wage.

Have made a fair bit more than that the last couple of years being self-employed but this year has been rather flat since January and only just showing signs of picking up again now.

Hadn't heard from them for a few weeks since applying so thought they had decided against me but got a phone call out of the blue on Friday asking what time I could come in on on Thursday.

Haven't had an interview for 8 years since I started my business.

Money isn't as good as I get in my business but none of the crap that goes with running your own business and 35 days of annual leave from the off.

Other plus is it's a good chance to get some commercial heating and plumbing experience too.

What to do??

30 years to go then, me, personally I would go for it,
1) the pension, whilst not important at this moment in time, it will be.
2) no collecting payments,
3) no collecting late payments
4) no worrying if work is slow
5) NHS I think pay if your sick.
6) you will get fast track treatment,
7) if you don't like, go self employed again.
8) no spending 1/2 your time doing estimates that you know will not happen.
Stani.

Is it direct or with a facilities company...I worked for the NHS when it was all in house for 5 1/2 years you mention a van so expect on call arrangements...do what your heart tells you as said previously you can always go back to being self employed good luck whatever you decide....regards Turnpin:)

tbh wage seems low unless its just plumbing

(bg are around 25k + just for plumbing or commercial gas engy around 33-40k higher with overtime)

after seeing these its peaked my interest

Depends on what you want really, I would struggle to go back to being employed. I like the challenge and also the independence. Plus working for yourself in this industry is the only way you can make good money.

It's a really hard decision to make to be honest. I do think I could be on £45 there within a few years, and I know how hard I have to work self-employed there to make that cash.

Croft I've followed you on here for a few years now all I would add is don't sell yourself short buddie....your a skilled and qualified man I get that it's tough being self employed but the job description states multi skill.....all to common now and a few plumbing jobs I've looked at recently all state..Plumber....not multi skill..but add the following must be able to patch plaster tile minor electrical carpentry and even slab laying and fencing ffs....you get my drift....its not always greener on the other side....sorry for the doom and gloom just feel I had to get it off my chest
Lol..regards Turnpin:)

TBH I'm on the fence on it tbh. Am going to go along to the interview first and see what I think. I know I could probably earn more with somewhere like BG (33k basic from what I see on their website) but then they pressure you to sell stuff to customers they don't need just to make sales targets. Not sure I want to get involved in that tbh.

I know I'm worth more than 28k but the NHS is the sort of place you can quickly rise up if you're good. They are screaming out for estates managers etc in the NHS trusts around my way and I could be applying for those jobs with a year or 2 of experience.

A wee health scare recently has got me thinking that even though I'm ok now, I won't be able to do this job forever and maybe I should start planning for a less physical career for my late 40s and onwards.

Wouldn't wrap up the business completely tbh, would probably still carry on the boiler servicing side of it only.

Is it direct or with a facilities company...I worked for the NHS when it was all in house for 5 1/2 years you mention a van so expect on call arrangements...do what your heart tells you as said previously you can always go back to being self employed good luck whatever you decide....regards Turnpin:)

This one is direct. It's NHS band 5 but tbh wouldn't take it unless I was offered top of that scale which is £28,400.

Things like generous annual leave and a decent pension need to be factored in too of course!

They do say there is an on call commitment as well so i need to find out what that is and also whether it's paid at extra or not.

Lots to think about before making a decision - that's assuming they even choose me!!

They would snap you up mate glad to see you have head screwed on and it is a lot to take on board....best of luck whatever you choose...regards Turnpin:)

I had the chance to work for the NHS about 3 year ago and turned it down as thought pay was low.
Think it was advertised about 25k ,a lad I know took the position and with OT and on call he gets about 34k a year
Also add on all the perks like pension and holiday pay plus a van between different NHS sites.
Also from what I gather it's a doddle no rush or stress. If u knew that I would of snapped it up

How you feeling about this job now you've done that commercial Job (LPG) ?

Has it swayed you ?

Yes!! Has been a funny start to the year business wise and our turnover dropped a fair whack at the start of this year. Been caught unawares really. Most of our income up till the start of this year was based on high end bathroom and kitchen installations. That market has all but gone locally since the vote last June and we'd seen our bookings drop down from 7 months in the diary to about two.

Now I'm pushing the gas and electric more and looking to rebrand the business (Dripbusters doesn't really scream out that we do gas and electrical work, more that we'll fix your drips)..

So erm been offered the job. Top of scale with a promotion in 6 months time it seems once I'm through my induction. They don't have anyone in house doing gas and they want to bring it in house so looks like I would be training up some of the existing tradespeople. Will be using my commercial gas qualification too so it's the perfect result for me.

Have decided to take the punt and move on to pastures new. Main driver being will be off the tools within a year it seems.

Next question - anyone want to buy a ready made profitable plumbing/electrical/gas business in Lincoln??

Good for you,

You told your lads yet (you have 3 dong you) And maybe would they like to take it on ?

No one in the business who could ATM mate. Basically I'm selling all the lead channels we have and the business branding and vans if required plus the company name. Has turned over £200k+Vat for both of the last two financial years so has to be worth something to a business minded plumber!

Not any more mate. Bathrooms and kitchens have died off post Brexit so just the one now. Managed to get him an interview it looks like too. Said that was part of the deal of me coming on board if they liked me. They are recruiting for tradespeople who are just qualified with a view to skilling them up on electrics and plumbing basically.

Not any more mate. Bathrooms and kitchens have died off post Brexit so just the one now. Managed to get him an interview it looks like too. Said that was part of the deal of me coming on board if they liked me. They are recruiting for tradespeople who are just qualified with a view to skilling them up on electrics and plumbing basically.

Good for you, sounds like your ok with your choice

So when's the big switch over

Also if I was you keep the business, but regulars only e.g. Boiler services and drippy taps of your board one Saturday or afternoon Friday etc

Won't cost you anything other than a place to put the van and it's always a back up

Don't want to put you off but most maintenance men I come across don't really do any work
Seems like it's a job for older guys to go before retiring

Heyup. Nah it's a really forward thinking organisation to be honest. From my point of view they are looking to move me up into middle management within a couple of years. The guy who is my boss is sound :) That was the most important thing for me tbh, don't want to work for a tool!

@ShaunCorbs, we've got to have that discussion. Got about 2 months of work till I can wrap things up neatly with the business tbh so I think that's going to be the timeline.

Big decision, best of luck with it though. Sounds like you have thought it out well enough, a nice gesture to get the lad that works for you an interview too I am sure he will really appreciate that.

Yeah I am fiercely loyal to people who are loyal to me. He's been a constant in the business doing really well for the last 2 years and he deserves it! Got him a nice engraved set of Bahco adjustables for when he finishes his apprenticeship next month too :)

Very happy for you Croft....like the idea of the Bahcos.....pm me for the correct spelling of my name etc lol...seriously I wish you well for the future and make sure you tune in here regularly....regards Turnpin:)

Very happy for you Croft....like the idea of the Bahcos...pm me for the correct spelling of my name etc lol...seriously I wish you well for the future and make sure you tune in here regularly....regards Turnpin:)

Won't be going anywhere! Been on here for about 8 years now it's like a second home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Been offered an interview in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock