Search the forum,

Discuss Becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gassafewales

Think carefully, Getting a job as a plumber is no easy task at present, as the market as been saturated with new plumbers starting up, also if you decide to progress onto gas, you should consider how long it will take and is the average wage for a gas engineer of 24000 per year in the uk really what you are expecting, yes you can earn more, but you need to be quick, accurate, and willing to push your own inner boundaries, check out my website www.gassafewales.co.uk , to be honest if you do want to become a plumber, get a couple of old plumbing books from the 70's and study them, they will make it easier, to digest modern systems, by showing you the principles of old school plumbing systems, which were harder work than today to install. Try gower college for courses there really good lecturers there. Good luck I honestly hope you can get given an oppurtunity.

Fancy a wee bit spam tonight Gareth??

Btw 1950's books are much better than 70's if you can find them, the early 1900's ones were even better.

Have a read of this, Volume 1 of 6, a set of which were passed to me on my indenture
The Modern Plumber and Sanitary Engineer.
Interesting stuff if you are a "real" plumber who pushes the inner boundaries :lol:

You would need to be quick accurate and willing to push your inner boundaries to work in Llanelli ;-)

You'd need to be daft desperate and skint to clean out urinals.

No book will ever substitute hands on experience.

Fancy a wee bit spam tonight Gareth??

Btw 1950's books are much better than 70's if you can find them, the early 1900's ones were even better.

Have a read of this, Volume 1 of 6, a set of which were passed to me on my indenture
The Modern Plumber and Sanitary Engineer.
Interesting stuff if you are a "real" plumber who pushes the inner boundaries :lol:

I have these volumes! Purchased off eBay for very cheap a few years ago!

Bought a car from Llanelli once, was held together with prayers and rust, am never going back there!

Obviously you haven't undertaken your gas, lots of books there, and how can you install y, s, and c plan systems if you don't know how they work, yes hands on experience is a must, book literature is needed to support installations, or you can always guesstimate it and who knows it might work.

Obviously you haven't undertaken your gas, lots of books there, and how can you install y, s, and c plan systems if you don't know how they work, yes hands on experience is a must, book literature is needed to support installations, or you can always guesstimate it and who knows it might work.

Im a bit confused gassafewales every one above is GSR except whl4852 who is doing his, I agree though the books are good to support knowledge and experience but they arent a substitute for it

I once had a g plan. Very nice cabinet but unfortunately it came without any literature.
Luckily i already knew how to wire one :smile:

did you earth it correctly tamz ive heard some nasty stories about them not honoring warranties

I even put a 3 amp fuse in the plug:lol:

Btw apart from making nice furniture, G plan was an old sunvic motor open motor closed valve system.

I am GSR, Ground and air source installer, started as an emergency plumber many years ago whilst doing a full apprenticeship, been self employed for over 5 years, and only deal with contracts from major gas suppliers, and renewable providers, my workmanship is highly regarded in the industry, and its not just experience that got me to where I am, it was books and advice, and coming from an engineering background probably simplified the process. Anyone can fit a bathroom in 4 hours, or change a rad or 2 that's not a skill it's usually a over priced joke, but being able able to stand in someone's house and being able to calculate all the materials and best option for a central heating system, meet the demand for hot water, and give them a accurate quote, and be offered the job after only being there 20mins that's not just a skill, it's a gift bit like a g plan, LOL

I must be doing something wrong, or to good a job. cos i Wish I could fit bathroom in 4 hrs.

been looking up g plan for interests sake couldnt find much, must be a bit like g spot

You must be if it takes you longer than that, get a paper round you probably make more money, to change a bath, basin, and wc max 4 hrs if a shower tray on the deck where possible add 1.5 hours 2 days to tile and grout and 2 hours to fit shower valve and enclosure that's me doing all the above work, because let's be honest, we don't use plumbers mate on wastes anymore, tap connectors have never been easier, most basins have mono block mixers which are easy to conceal and fit, all pans have 7" centres on soil outlet, tiling Is common sense if you can use a level and tile saw you can tile, bathrooms in my opinion are more of a focus for less confident plumbers, who might be gsr but try to shy away from hard installation work, where deadlines are more real, work is hard and needs to be fast, ( let me guess you use self cleaning flux) try wire wool and telux instead, less leaks, neatly soldered fittings, also wait till flame turns green, remove lamp, touch with solder and wipe with damp sponge, perfect soldered fitting everytime

blooming hell gassafewales I may be wrong but I dont think anyone on here is trying to upset you we are a friendly bunch.........calm down?

This is a really weird thread? What exactly is the point? I'm confused.

You must be if it takes you longer than that, get a paper round you probably make more money, to change a bath, basin, and wc max 4 hrs if a shower tray on the deck where possible add 1.5 hours 2 days to tile and grout and 2 hours to fit shower valve and enclosure that's me doing all the above work, because let's be honest, we don't use plumbers mate on wastes anymore, tap connectors have never been easier, most basins have mono block mixers which are easy to conceal and fit, all pans have 7" centres on soil outlet, tiling Is common sense if you can use a level and tile saw you can tile, bathrooms in my opinion are more of a focus for less confident plumbers, who might be gsr but try to shy away from hard installation work, where deadlines are more real, work is hard and needs to be fast, ( let me guess you use self cleaning flux) try wire wool and telux instead, less leaks, neatly soldered fittings, also wait till flame turns green, remove lamp, touch with solder and wipe with damp sponge, perfect soldered fitting everytime

Easy tiger.:smiley2:

Wow, just..... wow.. How to win friends and influence people. :hurray:

He sounds like my old boss, whatever I could do he could do it in half the time and charge twice as much. Oh well, I will just keep plodding on

this is hilarious. I was in stitches reading this thread. Hope some more get posted

Gassafewales, I'd so love to see the quality of your work, throwing a bathroom in on 4 hours. For your information, I only fit bathrooms now and far better quality ones than your 4 hour efforts and as for me being a less confident plumber for doing bathrooms, I've been doing this for 34 years and have a damn site more confidence and skill at doing them that you'll ever have as well as having a reputation that is second to none.

I suggest that you take your "superior" attitude elsewhere to another forum, because any more of it and you'll be getting booted out of here.

END OF.

Really? So all the other tools I have in my van are a waste of money then? The tiling is without doubt the main feature of any bathroom and you think it can be done with a level, a tile saw and a bit of good old common sense. Be a dear and put some pictures of your tiling up so I can see what type of quality common sense produces.

Really? So all the other tools I have in my van are a waste of money then? The tiling is without doubt the main feature of any bathroom and you think it can be done with a level, a tile saw and a bit of good old common sense. Be a dear and put some pictures of your tiling up so I can see what type of quality common sense produces.

No reptile you need a dirty old towel to polish up as well ;)

It is easy to become plumber , learn how to use compression fittings , it is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock